Laughing City
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Meggers wrote:
JBaker wrote:
Deep Ellum is hardly scary.
There's freaking nothing there now, making it slightly more sketchy, but there are a bunch of worse places in Dallas alone...

True, it's not as bad as it was, but being a girl down there alone isn't exactly the best feeling in the world.

It's very likely I'm going to be there with at least a friend or two, so if you need any company, let me know!

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Meggers
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
Meggers wrote:
JBaker wrote:
There's freaking nothing there now, making it slightly more sketchy, but there are a bunch of worse places in Dallas alone...

True, it's not as bad as it was, but being a girl down there alone isn't exactly the best feeling in the world.

It's very likely I'm going to be there with at least a friend or two, so if you need any company, let me know!

Will do! I probably have a friend going, but the more people for me to be around the better! Very Happy

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Meggers wrote:
JBaker wrote:

While that feeling never entirely goes away, I find the best way to combat it is by learning self-defense techniques and empowering yourself.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I sometimes carry around pepper spray if I'm walking through cities I'm not familiar with.

There's nothing wrong with being prepared.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
I sometimes carry around pepper spray if I'm walking through cities I'm not familiar with.

Yeah, even though I'm familiar with the city I live in, I feel better just being prepared. Also, I would love to get a revolver to carry in my purse, but I don't think I can.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

anotherrandomtuesday wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

Yeah, even though I'm familiar with the city I live in, I feel better just being prepared. Also, I would love to get a revolver to carry in my purse, but I don't think I can.

I think getting a concealed weapons permit is a great idea. A female friend of mine just got hers. We should use our right to bear arms while we still can...
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

TheAntrider wrote:
Deep Ellum? That place can be pretty freaking sketchy. It's been a while since I've been around there, though. I have no idea if it's gone up or down hill.

lol. Hope its not too sketchy... my dear, sweet old mother lives about three blocks north of there... has for years... walks around there all the time. In fact, I took her out to lunch at All Good today. Not to impair the sense of thrill and adventure you guys like to feel when you go down there or anything.

It did go through a phase a couple of years ago where some newer clubs opened that attracted a somewhat tougher crowd, but frankly, real incidents of any significance were still rare enough to be newsworthy. The fact that you are afraid of someone doesn't make them a criminal. Reports of "almost" having encountered an incident were still a lot more frequent than actually having done so, and, coming from the average suburban tourist, translate roughly into "I saw two or more black kids outside the 7-11 and they didn't smile and open the door for me". 'course "I almost got shot" makes a better story.

The thing that used to cause me real trepidation in Deep Ellum years ago were skin heads, but I haven't seen an honest to goodness skin head down there in years and years.

-- and coming from a guy from East Texas (no?)-
OK, pretty countryside, but frankly, lets be honest... it doesn't get much creepier.
Lets put it this way: no-one to my knowledge has ever made a horror movie about Deep Ellum!

...uh... we've seen what you mean by "prepared"- not sure how thats gonna go over with the DPD in deep ellum though.

CCW isn't much use for going out at night. Carrying in bar/club = felony.

JBaker wrote:

The reports of Deep Ellum's death are greatly exaggerated.

The biggest problem deep ellum had at the outset of its "slower period" though was excessively heavy-handed policing, truth be told. made it not so fun to be there anymore. when it started feeling like a police state. It was great for business on greenville though.

Some of the classic clubs are gone, true (especially the Gypsy and Trees- (regrettably Club Clearview aka club wifebeater survived, some how), but DaDa is still very much alive along with a few others, and quite few new restaurants. Still miss the Orchid, but I doubt it would have interested many of you... Sambucas went uptown, but the legendary Monica's is still cooking. Couple of new cafes/coffee shops as well... and a very good turkish restaurant.

But yeah... I agree, there are quite few parts of Dallas that I would be nervous walking around at night... Deep Ellum's not one of them though.

- btw... if you are on foot and concerned, do recommend staying EAST of 75/45. The east end of down town is somewhat worse, just going by crime stats.
Last edited by inorbit on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:11 pm; edited 13 times in total
alinicole
Sea Post King

I should start carrying something with me just in case I run into the creepy man from Eisley's Waco show again. That was pretty scary. I don't even know if I posted about that on here but... wow. Laughing
greatgood
Sea Post King

Yay!!!! Finally KCMO and not Lawrence. I can walk to the Beaumont Club from my house. Thank you!!!
pazatronix!
Lost at Forum

tragedienne wrote:
I should start carrying something with me just in case I run into the creepy man from Eisley's Waco show again. That was pretty scary. I don't even know if I posted about that on here but... wow. Laughing

are you talking about the older gentleman that was hollering and waving something yellow and waving his open water bottle around? Cos THAT guy was creepy. Shocked

alinicole
Sea Post King

pazatronix! wrote:
tragedienne wrote:

are you talking about the older gentleman that was hollering and waving something yellow and waving his open water bottle around? Cos THAT guy was creepy. Shocked

Hahaha was the guy you're talking about in the crowd? If so, no... I don't think I saw him. The guy I'm talking about was probably in his 30's and was lurking around the back of the stage with some kind of chunky disposable camera around his neck waiting to get pictures with anyone that looked like they were in a band. He's was being a MAJOR creep with me and I seriously felt like running for my life. Some of the things he said to me were just ridiculous. It's funny now that it's over but not so much when it was happening. haha.

kellyvsshark
Sea Post King

November 3rd, 2009 @ The Fillmore @ Irving Plaza New York - New York, NY November 4th, 2009 @ Highline Ballroom - New York, NY

2 NY dates? 2 different venues? a-ok by me:)

hopefully this timee 'round they stock up on merch/cds because last tour all they had was tripxl's of everything by the time they got to us.

rather intrigued to share the floor with my 18-year old Say Anything counter-parts. wonder what their forums are lookin' like after this announcement? hopefullyy positive.
boone
Vintage Newbie

uncreative wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

I think getting a concealed weapons permit is a great idea. A female friend of mine just got hers. We should use our right to bear arms while we still can...

You have to be 21 for a concealed weapons permit, though.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

boone wrote:
uncreative wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

You have to be 21 for a concealed weapons permit, though.

And it's illegal to carry into half the buildings you enter, and you'll have to live with the fact that you killed/maimed someone in case you have to use it.

Pepper spray FTW.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

the real crime in Deep Ellum is what they charge for parking.
Laughing

last few times i went to shows there i used that city lot where you fold up the dollars and put them in the slots though.

i either heard on the news or read in the paper that they did away with that tunnel with the murals on it around there.

===============================

i wonder if we can convince them to do a full band pre-tour Tyler rehearsal show? Laughing

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>