22%
 22%  [ 7 ]
Not Just Yet
51%
 51%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 31

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

People give up on God or the idea of a God, the Christian God etc, I say, "Who else is about at their whits end with Mankind?"

I for one don't think we are going to Evolve out of our Death-Spiral like tendencies. I just don't have a good feeling about it at all. No Roddenberryesque future in my forecust for Humanity.

Thoughts?

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

The chances of us transitioning to a Type 1 Civilization from a Type 0 has always been under 50% imo. The big irony is the power of the atom is pretty much necessary to achieve that but nukes are still our possible demise. I agree with the idea of the universe being littered with failed civilizations unable to even become a Type 1.
why yes i'm a depphead
Laughing Citizen

Haven't given up, because I can't get myself to group humankind as one entity, you know? People continue to enter the world, and I think each individual/culture/community deserves that agency to not be grouped as if we're all an entire being headed for failure... maybe that sounds somewhat naive. Still, globalization scares me more than anything, because I'm not yet sure what it will mean for these things in the future. What we see already is pretty terrifying.

That being said, I've given my life to anthropology..... so at least part of me wants to hold on to some hope.

I go back and forth on all of this, though. I don't know that I'll ever hold a concrete stance.
Joined: 25 Jan 2004 | Posts: 1847 | Location: by land, by sea, by dirigible
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Heavy thread, man. Wink

Some writer was on NPR a couple weeks ago talking about this very thing. He told his middle school aged son that scientists are building an analog clock in the desert somewhere that will run for a thousand years. His son didn't believe him--not because he thought the clock would wind down, but because he couldn't conceive of there being anyone left in a millennium to check the time, or even in a century. The writer worked this into a long comparison of his generation with his son's, and how his generation had Planet of the Apes on one end of the vision-of-the-future spectrum and Star Trek on the other, but both stories had strapping manly heroes who would ultimately save humanity. The advent of the anti-hero, the mega-disaster movie, and the lampooning of father figures and conventional masculinity in pop culture (though conventional masculinity hasn't lost every toehold) have combined to destroy that optimism. The Cold War probably didn't help either.

I grew up with The Next Generation telling me there was still hope for a humanity-saving heroic captain (Picard > Kirk, y'all) and Earth 2 telling me that even if we really screwed up the world, we'd have another chance. And then there was Independence Day, where half the world got blow'd up and a plucky band of pilots and scientists still managed to fight off the aliens (that was before Roland Emmerich decided the planet was a lost cause).

Now, however, I have Thom Yorke singing doom in my ear and promoting Age of Stupid. And throughout my teenage years I was going to church, where people kept telling me the End Times would come during my lifetime (like they've told every generation since Christ). I'm prepared for the zombie apocalypse and my in-laws are prepared for Helter Skelter (with leftover supplies from Y2K). It seems like everyone is getting ready for the end, or panicking over it without getting ready at all, and what was seen as an opportunity for the triumph of the human spirit fifty years ago is now viewed as straight-up doom which only the people with underground fortresses and plenty of ammo will be able to survive--forget about saving everyone in the process. The most optimistic end of the world story I've seen in recent memory was I Am Legend. How sad is that?

I'm not trying to make my point entirely through pop culture references, but what goes on our screens generally comes from--and adds to--what's going on in the collective subconscious. The writer on NPR made a pretty awesome point about the way our heroes have changed, or disappeared, over the course of his life. If we don't believe there's a Captain Kirk out there who can save us (and the whiny little turd from the J.J. Abrams movie doesn't count), what does that say about our belief in ourselves as a race?

I voted "Not Just Yet," because I still come from a generation that had heroes and I haven't bequeathed that last shred of hope for our future, post-apocalyptic though it may be.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

why yes i'm a depphead wrote:
Haven't given up, because I can't get myself to group humankind as one entity, you know? People continue to enter the world, and I think each individual/culture/community deserves that agency to not be grouped as if we're all an entire being headed for failure... maybe that sounds somewhat naive. Still, globalization scares me more than anything, because I'm not yet sure what it will mean for these things in the future. What we see already is pretty terrifying.

That being said, I've given my life to anthropology..... so at least part of me wants to hold on to some hope.

I go back and forth on all of this, though. I don't know that I'll ever hold a concrete stance.
Off topic but I thought about asking you if you had/was taking anthropology after you mentioned "serial monogamy" in the other thread. I knew it!
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
The writer on NPR made a pretty awesome point about the way our heroes have changed, or disappeared, over the course of his life. If we don't believe there's a Captain Kirk out there who can save us (and the whiny little turd from the J.J. Abrams movie doesn't count), what does that say about our belief in ourselves as a race?

Jack Bauer? And recent pop culture, Iron Man (Movie version)? Yea, I'm the one who voted Nope. Smile And it had nothing to do with pop culture.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Mistah Kurtz—he dead.

A penny for the Old Guy

I
We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!
Our dried voices, when
We whisper together
Are quiet and meaningless
As wind in dry grass
Or rats' feet over broken glass
In our dry cellar

Shape without form, shade without colour,
Paralysed force, gesture without motion;

Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us—if at all—not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.

II
Eyes I dare not meet in dreams
In death's dream kingdom
These do not appear:
There, the eyes are
Sunlight on a broken column
There, is a tree swinging
And voices are
In the wind's singing
More distant and more solemn
Than a fading star.

Let me be no nearer
In death's dream kingdom
Let me also wear
Such deliberate disguises
Rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves
In a field
Behaving as the wind behaves
No nearer—

Not that final meeting
In the twilight kingdom

III
This is the dead land
This is cactus land
Here the stone images
Are raised, here they receive
The supplication of a dead man's hand
Under the twinkle of a fading star.

Is it like this
In death's other kingdom
Waking alone
At the hour when we are
Trembling with tenderness
Lips that would kiss
Form prayers to broken stone.

IV
The eyes are not here
There are no eyes here
In this valley of dying stars
In this hollow valley
This broken jaw of our lost kingdoms

In this last of meeting places
We grope together
And avoid speech
Gathered on this beach of the tumid river

Sightless, unless
The eyes reappear
As the perpetual star
Multifoliate rose
Of death's twilight kingdom
The hope only
Of empty men.

V
Here we go round the prickly pear
Prickly pear prickly pear
Here we go round the prickly pear
At five o'clock in the morning.

Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow
For Thine is the Kingdom

Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
Life is very long

Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
Between the essence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow
For Thine is the Kingdom

For Thine is
Life is
For Thine is the

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
olimario
Laughing Citizen

Man is great at pushing both ends of the spectrum good and evil.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
Saellys wrote:
The writer on NPR made a pretty awesome point about the way our heroes have changed, or disappeared, over the course of his life. If we don't believe there's a Captain Kirk out there who can save us (and the whiny little turd from the J.J. Abrams movie doesn't count), what does that say about our belief in ourselves as a race?

Jack Bauer? And recent pop culture, Iron Man (Movie version)? Yea, I'm the one who voted Nope. Smile And it had nothing to do with pop culture.

They're both technically anti-heroes (especially Tony Stark).

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
Saellys wrote:

They're both technically anti-heroes (especially Tony Stark).

True. But both do ultimately save the day, and good wins out over evil... Will good win out over evil in the long run is the question I take away from this exercise. Thus I cite those two as relates to pop culture. Tony Stark is fighting demons and is an alcoholic? Matters not to me in this argument.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Mass over consumption and overpopulation will greatly lower the quality of life in the 21st and 22nd centuries, and possibly lead to drastic depopulation.

This certainly doesn't have to happen, but we head gleefully skip headlong down this path further every day.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
lookingXglass
Golly, Poster

The main problem is that there are people who are getting more than they need and people who are not getting enough to live. That's one of the sad things that's been going on with the world for quite a bit. It greatly saddens me. I think if we last for another thousand years we're going to be so anti-conservative I just can't imagine the world. But I think before we even reach that the chaos is going to become too much. I also think we're completely missing the point of life. I tend to look down on the fact that humans try to hard to understand the world around them. I think pop culture is going to become increasingly superficial and inartistic. I honestly think television is very distracting and that some people are too concentrated on the media; but I'm not sure where that trend is headed. It seems people are becoming too superficial and we're just messing with the natural balance of our bodies and the whole universe. God made the universe with such a beautiful harmony, but I think we're ruining it.

I was watching someone on the history or science channel about humans moving onto another planet or moon in the future...who would volunteer to be a settler? i wouldn't...I can't imagine the things that could go wrong in those first years.

"I don't wanna touch you and feel so helpless; I don't wanna smell you and lose my senses" Rufus Wainwright, Foolish Love
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 | Posts: 807 | Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Mass over consumption and overpopulation will greatly lower the quality of life in the 21st and 22nd centuries, and possibly lead to drastic depopulation.

This certainly doesn't have to happen, but we head gleefully skip headlong down this path further every day.
On the one hand I agree with you, but then again making long term forcasts tends not to work out. Technological change is accelerating and the present paradigm for the production of goods could be turned on its head fast. Imagine using massive solar sails for electricity, mining asteroids and pocessing raw materials on the moon so the earth doesn't have to absorb so much pollution. None of what I mentioned is too far off technologically.
johnip
Vintage Newbie

lookingXglass wrote:
The main problem is that there are people who are getting more than they need and people who are not getting enough to live. That's one of the sad things that's been going on with the world for quite a bit.

It's been that way since the dawn of Man(Time even, if you think of all the lesser animals). It's not gonna change.

Golly, Poster

johnip wrote:
lookingXglass wrote:
The main problem is that there are people who are getting more than they need and people who are not getting enough to live. That's one of the sad things that's been going on with the world for quite a bit.

It's been that way since the dawn of Man(Time even, if you think of all the lesser animals). It's not gonna change.

Yep, but it's sad, right? It makes me want to buy a pair of TOMS lol

"I don't wanna touch you and feel so helpless; I don't wanna smell you and lose my senses" Rufus Wainwright, Foolish Love
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 | Posts: 807 | Location: Wouldn't you like to know?