Laughing City
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

I think I caught the tail-end of the hey-day.

I remember being super jealous of those able to join the picnics, and also those who could voicechat most nights - I did it once and went to bed at 6am as a result! Boardie meet-ups are great, and gigs should, in my opinion, produce them: some of my happiest memories involve meeting fellow board-members at gigs of some of my favourite bands (The Research and Morning Runner being especially great times). One of my scariest moment was a big dude at a bar asking me, after I'd asked him to sign a mailing list, "you're Ewan, aren't you?". you gotta be careful as to what you put on the web! There did and does seem to be a genuine community here, and that's because genuine friendships have been built. I've seen it elsewhere, but not to the same extent.

Street teaming... is the responsibility of those who care enough to pedal the band to anyone and everyone. All clubs have flyer-ers out on at least saturday nights, and they usually get paid a measly sum (based on the amount that they give out). Let's not blame the demise of street-teaming solely on the fact that a few hardcore fans have left the forum.

Let's think what we can do individually. Have a listening party; invite friends to come to a gig; Send them an MP3! years ago I made about 15 Midlake and 15 Eisley samplers, and played them in the 6th year common room, and left them next to the CD player*. I made the Midlake ones because I was sure the band was happy for me to do so - they said so on their forum. As for Eisley, well, no doubt that was very illegal, but I was back then a super-hardcore-dedicated fan (I think I'm only a super dedicated fan these days. Not so hardcore).

*the one fan I know I made was my best friend - I gave her my last Eisley CD, 'cause I found it randomly when we were in my room. She put it on her laptop, listened, and it was love at first hearing! Cool

the only organisedStreet Teaming I've ever done is Traffic. Free gig for the price of getting people to sign a mailing list Laughing Incidentally, I've always put my email address down, and never ever actually recieved an email from any of the bands! Sure, Traffic is an organisation, and not really grassroots... but I know it works... I'm not sure how affiliated it is with the artist concerned. It was big artists and small alike. I did Arcade Fire, got emails about Snow Patrol and Athelete, and went to the now defunct The Fallout Trust and The Research (still going) with them (and many more besides).
Is there an American equivalent of Traffic that Eisley could sign up to? http://www.trafficonline.net/

---

On a personal level, Mr Pine said it well: "life just changes".

Plus, I myself have a far bigger and more valuable (and urgent) thing to "promote" (for want of a better word), so I am focussing on that. Cool

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Even if the people who left came back, it wouldn't be the same. I missed most of it, but came in near the end. Ben - if I pissed you off and you left because of me, come back! I know a lot of people were mad at me when he left because him and I had a few disagreements and then he moved on. But people stay or go for whatever reasons they have. I think some of the older posters are exactly that - older. More important things to do than post on a message board now. Or their interests have moved beyond this board. It is what it is. I still enjoy LC. I still enjoy Eisley. The people make up the community. It is what you and I and others make of it.
Retrovertigo
Sea Post King

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
I think some of the older posters are exactly that - older. More important things to do than post on a message board now. Or their interests have moved beyond this board. It is what it is. I still enjoy LC. I still enjoy Eisley. The people make up the community. It is what you and I and others make of it.

I agree. I listen to Eisley as much as I ever did, and I'll always remember to visit the site, but by and large I only have leftover time and brain juice to be a semi-wallflower.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I need to get caught up but I just want to add something real quick:

Eisley is going to draw from two demographics that as time goes on is going to make being social awkward:

Fans of music done for music's sake and not just a thoughtless cash grab. (call it arty, call it indie, whatever). These fans can been all ages, but there's more Adults and people at or above college age in this group than...

Teenage girls who can be a part of the above demographic, but there is something to be said for young girls lookgnf for role models and women that are doing something they'd like to do, and look like they'd like to look. Eisley has 3 of them in one group, and they are accessible, respectable, and talented. Eisley may be the 1st band for some of young girls that isn't whatever will be on the next NOW record. So...

it's always a sketch situation when you have preteens and minors interacting with Older teens, Post Adolescents, and full blown adults / parents. People around here seem to be good about censoring themselves out of respect, at least in terms of which threads they post their indiscrete things, but as far as Community, the young and the old (in relative terms) have to figure out how to reconcile that disconnect, cause the Older Boardies aren't getting any younger, and the new fans will keep coming. You can't expect them to just know how to be social.

Plus, I think there's a generational thing going on based on the kids at my job (5-12 yr olds) as the internet is so much more local now and for me and most my age, it's for people from families, college, and High School that have moved away to keep up.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

I got on the board when Combinations came out, but I'd been listening to Eisley since Room Noises. I do remember an older board because Boyd was posting about not being able to find a bass player after Jon left. Anyway, I remember reading that post by Stacy that Pantheon4 quoted, and I recall thinking that she must be one of the coolest people in the world! In fact I think all the Dupree's are!

But I go to shows and buy merch, and I can't count how many Eisley CD's I've given to people. I don't see getting 'over' Eisley anytime soon! In that sense I feel the same way I did when I made my first post! Smile

Bartman
Golly, Poster

Retrovertigo wrote:
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
I think some of the older posters are exactly that - older. More important things to do than post on a message board now. Or their interests have moved beyond this board. It is what it is. I still enjoy LC. I still enjoy Eisley. The people make up the community. It is what you and I and others make of it.

I agree. I listen to Eisley as much as I ever did, and I'll always remember to visit the site, but by and large I only have leftover time and brain juice to be a semi-wallflower.

I'm in the same boat... just too much going on now in my life to visit the board often and contribute much. I've been around since near the very beginning. It was nice, but things change, can't stop change. It's not good or bad, it's just different.

I guess for the most part why I don't post much on here now days is that there is a lot of "empty callories" threads. I still read all Boyd's blog entries, and scan the pages for any topics I think might be interesting. I'm all for "spreading the Eisley love" and do whatever I can in the "real world" and in other online forums and such whenever music subjects come up in conversation.

Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Like a lot of other people, I wasn't here for the "hey day" of the boards, but I was here for the last run of Room Noises...in time to catch up with the big competitions, travel for the Final Noise tour, and be totally infatuated with the live set.

Things definitely has changed, but so has the buzz a bit. With the bloated arenas for social networking, the forum is no longer the main place to get connected, though I agree, it is easier here. I also think, for a big factor...what is there to promote?! They are between albums, and the last one had limited promotion from the record company. I contacted local stations for Combinations and all that, but there's nothing really out right now.

I think/believe that building up a community of Eisley-helpers/fanatics will be easier again...when Eisley has new music and buzz coming out again. Just like Combinations, there will be websites/music/events that we can help spread.

So we definitely should organize again for the next album rotation! And hopefully joining together for a common cause an having more music news, a new community will build up again.
rockchick1959
Golly, Poster

uncreative wrote:
mr pine wrote:
again, this is not the bands fault, they too have grown up. one is engaged. one has been married. twice.

TWO are engaged!

WHOA! has that been made official somewhere that I missed? I haven't been following the forum regularly anymore like I used to... guilty as charged, your honor.

Oh man, I miss the old days. Or at least for me I believe I was just on the tail end of the good old days. Anyone remember Teddy? And the Kingdom thread where everyone had a position in the kingdom? I believe I was the Lady of the Lake who knighted Paul to start the whole thing off. Wish I could find that thread but I'm sure it's been deleted since it hasn't been bumped.

http://kimschaefer.bandcamp.com/

http://youtube.com/kimschaefermusic
marshking
Sea Post King

I remember when I first got into Eisley... back in 04.

I joined LC around the same time (on my previous account) and automatically loved the atmosphere, the closeness, the conversations and arguments and everything that made this COMMUNITY wonderful.

It was so tight but organic, so involved.

The band had been so hurt from lame taffie fangirls on LJ and GJ that liked to roleplay as the girls or gossip about their relationships or hack their photos that I understand why they started to distance themselves...

I don't even remember when I quit actively going to the forum ("the death of LC") but somehow I forgot the e-mail linked with my old username and the password, so I must have been gone for a while. I just felt like things were different... so different. I lost interest in the community, although my love for the band stayed the same. The band was going through a strange slow phase and things just calmed down, and a lot of the old schoolers just disappeared or started posting scarcely.

Then I made this username eventually and came back, and things are still so different.

I'm glad there are so many noobs and new fans (I'll only refer to you as noobs affectionately, friends Very Happy), really. I just wish we could all bring back what the new guys missed out on and enjoy this forum the way we used to.

I check a few things online multiple times a day... twitter, facebook (I know, I know), and Laughing City. I get so upset because sometimes I'll check EisleyBlog on LC one day and the next day there have only been like 4 new comments. Where are the debates and arguments and jokes and polls and attempts to get Eisley out there to the world? I miss that. I really do.

I want to log into LC and see so many new posts and comments that my head explodes. Seriously, haha Sad.

I am SO very grateful the band is being so public though. I love the Twitter accounts, because I truly feel closer to the members than ever.

I despise how the haters make the band members out to be fake, mean, and not fan-friendly because they are ANYTHING but those things. They are WONDERFUL, beautiful, amazing people.

Let's bring things back, y'all!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

rockchick1959 wrote:
uncreative wrote:
mr pine wrote:
again, this is not the bands fault, they too have grown up. one is engaged. one has been married. twice.

TWO are engaged!

WHOA! has that been made official somewhere that I missed?

Yup! Chauntelle to Todd the guitar maker and Weston to Jessie from Luvbeat. And it's gonna be a double wedding!
woman4life
Golly, Poster

MY experience with message boards is that they change - frequently. And things are usually most connected before or during major tours or cd releases.

My own personal habits (which is pretty much all I can speak to with any degree of "authority") are that I particpate in boards as long as there is something going on. IF I end up posting to myself (which happens), I have less reason to go back to the board and will check back, but infrequently. If people interact and respond to me, I am most likely to come back daily.

This sort of thing seems to happen on most boards, lots of community to almost no community, and sometimes back again.

-Melanie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
plentypine
Sea Post King

We should all band together to beat the "most users online" record. 247? Psh we could soooo beat that! Teamwork!
rainbowmagic
Sea Post King

I dont ever post, but ive been frequenting this place since 04' and i gotta say this thread hits home.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

All I really care to say is that the community starts with us, this very moment. The more we chat, the more we pay attention to the things that we DO have in common, and the more we welcome everyone continuously with open arms, the closer we'll be to the "good old days." Smile

Contribute to things you like, avoid things you don't and have fun!

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
Contribute to things you like, avoid things you don't and have fun!

That should be the LC's motto.