Laughing City
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

"People made with gumdrops greet you, 'Merry morning, Mr. Pine.'"

Or something to that effect.

http://inconnumag.com
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

Thank you and hi JohnnyWalker! Smile I have missed these times of agreeing and sharing wonderful finding Eisley stories. It feels like summer of 2004 when streams of people came and shared their stories. Yes and their full length lp is comming sometime in the future into our heads and it's going to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JohnnyWalker
Sea Post King

Thanks for your kind words and warm welcomes. I probably should have come around a lot sooner.

Yeah, my story of finding Eisley is pretty amusing, especially considering how much my coworker hated Eisley. (He was into jam bands and held that lyrics were completely unimportant to music.) Seriously, I was looking for the "unicorns and lollipops" too but all I got was insightful, emotional, creative, and original music, and a band whose work I'm now so familiar with that I feel like they're personal friends.

As for my take on Marvelous Things, it seems to me that there is a little bit more to it. I could definitely be wrong, and could very well be contradicted elsewhere on this board, but I think the overall theme is the preservation of innocence in the face of inevitable hardship, and the ability to still see wonderful things. I don't necessarily think it's a lullaby to a child either unless the song changes perspectives. I think because "morning light shall burst bright and keep us here safely," there are two people who love each other trying to maintain their existence of innocence. Just my take though, I could be entirely wrong.

"Con tus besos forjé mi espada y mi armadura."

Joined: 04 Nov 2009 | Posts: 10 | Location: Northern Illinois, USA, Earth
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Everytime I see your name I can't help but hear "The Letter That Johnny Walker Read" in my head. Laughing

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

JohnnyWalker wrote:
I think because "morning light shall burst bright and keep us here safely," there are two people who love each other trying to maintain their existence of innocence. Just my take though, I could be entirely wrong.

Since I'm the one who pushed the lullaby angle so hard, I'll explain it:

Imagine you're a kid who's afraid of the dark and has a vivid imagination and sees things that "aren't there"

Imagine what you would say to that child if they were yours to comfort them. You are not going to say Keep "you" here safely because children DREAD abandonment. The reason you are there with them is to comfort them, your presence means everything to them, whether you are a sibling or parent, elder etc. That difference in age and understanding makes the world a safer, more beautiful place.

So for me, having been a kid with that kind of imagination when I was young, and being an uncle since I was twelve, looking after my nieces and nephews when they felt afraid or alone, both aspects of the song speak to me, and that dynamic of comforting a child because they are overwhelmed by what they take in.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

JohnnyWalker wrote:
Just my take though, I could be entirely wrong.

There's no 'wrong' answer with lyrics, most scribes worth their salt will tell you. Lyrics mean whatever you think they mean. Stacy & Sherri seem to feel that way, they've talked about the interpretations some people had about Many Funerals being a protest song or a political statement about the Iraq war. That's not what they were writing about but found it cool people experienced their songs in different ways.

crusso
Sea Post King

It seems your experience is a common one amongst Eisley fans.

A friend of mine played Trollywood for me once and I was blown away. It took me a few months to actually go buy the Room Noises CD, but it was one of the best CD's I ever bought.

I went through a season where I was driving a lot 1hr+ one way for work and I listened to Eisley like crazy (it was all I listened to actually). And then I found the live songs and loved those, and the older songs and loved those. Seeded a Pandora radio station with Eisley and it's quite a good one.

What drew me to LC was the fact the band was so willing to interact with their fans. I had convos on myspace w/ Boyd and I remember reading and hearing stories about Eisley playing in small venues and hanging out with the fans afterward.

So welcome!
JohnnyWalker
Sea Post King

Funny you should mention that. I do a LOT of driving for my job, and I live in the country, which involves a lot of driving, so there have been times where Eisley is all I would listen to. I'm on an Eisley kick right now big time.

"Con tus besos forjé mi espada y mi armadura."

Joined: 04 Nov 2009 | Posts: 10 | Location: Northern Illinois, USA, Earth