Laughing City
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

I hesitated for maybe a minute before giving in and listening.

I am usually slow to warm up to new albums but half way through Oxygen Mask I was sold. That song nearly brought me to tears. Manly tears.

Eisley has never disappointed me.

They deserve so much more attention. At least enough to make performing in Canada viable.

vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

The guitar solo/break down thing on Sad.

Stacy's voice.

hnnnng

Vintage Newbie

Watch it Die.

Crying or Very sad

I can't wait until I get the physical copies now.

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
...at face value for what it is, it is a magnificent piece of work...

You know, if they counted "edits" you would have as many posts as I do Laughing

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:

You know, if they counted "edits" you would have as many posts as I do Laughing

inorbit wrote:
... its gonna be a late one -
...Have important stuff due in the morning before boss goes to Prague for a month? .... Not a problem the V60 can't solve though.

....possibly related... Laughing
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I've come to expect the edits, and know to go back and re-read your posts to be safe, but 25 is just... DEDICATION Exclamation

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:
I've come to expect the edits, and know to go back and re-read your posts to be safe, but 25 is just... DEDICATION Exclamation

um no, its a lot of tedious data viz coupled with a short attention span and caffeine, interacting with Eisley release day. Side effects are to be expected.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ You say so, but that could have easily been 24 stream of consciousness posts, or one epic diatribe on the Indie-Rock vs. 90 Rockers/ Pitchfork thread lambasting Lenny Kravitz sense his turn came up Laughing

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
Saellys wrote:

It's definitely a fully mixed and mastered album, with all that entails. But it doesn't begin to approach the amount of tinkering endured by the songs on Combinations, which weren't really complete songs when compared with the stuff on The Valley.

All those extra instruments on Combinations, all that fancy stuff, sounded like it was meant to make up for something that the songs themselves lacked. On The Valley, the songs stand on their own (just listen to the acoustic versions that have been circulating) and it's clear that all the arrangements came from the band themselves. For the first time I get the impression that all these songs sound exactly the way Eisley wanted them to sound.

The thought occurred to me that they really managed to achieve on some of these tracks the kind of "cinematic", orchestral production quality I remember seeing Sheri say they were going for on Combinations. They are definitely playing the studio as art.... It is a (deliberately) somewhat different sound than live Eisley. Some of the heavier handed devices (like the rapid fire hand claps on watch it die) take a bit of adjustment, too the (exceedingly) heavily treated vocals- the very studied stereo separation- the heavy canned strings on throughout... But especially the heavily processed vocals (and the backing vocals sound not just layered/chorused but entirely sampled in places).

It would be interesting to know how the production/engineering duties were worked on this one.... they did remark repeatedly on their hands-on style- it was sent out for mix, but in terms of recording, you're right- it is very probably exactly as they chose to make it.... Its good... Very self-consciously, classically pop (veering into kitsch in places-like I Wish)- and it IS very much a studio creation- which is clearly as they meant it. It has to be appreciated as a work of studio art.

Taken as such, at face value for what it is, it is a magnificent piece of work... but it definitely isn't an album produced to capture the organic (live) sound of the band - which in Eisley's case is very much of value itself. Good as it is, I'm hoping they don't gimmick up their live show too much trying to replicate the studio production on stage, because the live renditions are stunning in their own right.

I know I have, in the past, been the first one to be all about raw, live recordings over studio wizardry, and I haven't necessarily changed my stance on that, but I have developed a new respect for artists who know how to use the studio, and not let the studio use them. They are few and far between, but fortunately Eisley just joined their ranks.

The new Nicole Atkins album is also a good example of that--it's got some things that can't be replicated live (though not nearly as many as there were on Neptune City), but it's clear that she made those songs sound exactly the way she wanted them to and her vision was not compromised. It's also full of solid songs that stand on their own, and that's the really important thing.

I agree about "I Wish". I hear a lot of the 90s in their stylistic choices on that one, but there's still a great song underneath the glitter.

I think after two over-meddled albums, Eisley are moving into a comfortable middle ground between major label production and that "five people in a room playing songs" feel we want. Maybe on the next album the pendulum will swing all the way and it will be immediate and raw and amazing. But I'm also quite happy to hear more like this.

And the best part is that their live show has not suffered for the sake of the album's sound. A friend of mine who'd never listened to Eisley before went to last night's Exit/In show and reported, "That sh!t was wizard." Very Happy

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

The ending of Mr. Moon is chilling. I keep replaying that part and I always get chills. It's so amazing. I'm really happy with the whole album. Good grief, I can't stop listening.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Lynn
Golly, Poster

Listened to it for the first time... This is soooooo gooood! I'm in love. Brilliant work. Love Love Love
Sprocket
Vintage Newbie

Angry enough to shake the birds from the trees; sweet enough to make the cobwebs sing. As testament to the album's strengths, I am wholly sold on "I don't believe in magic" as an opening statement of intent by a band who I fell in love with principally because they sang about bats with butterfly wings. A perfect pop-rock album which is a heart-rending joy to listen to through brightening some of the darkest corners of their past few years. I hope they are thoroughly proud with themselves.
johnip
Vintage Newbie

Sprocket wrote:
Angry enough to shake the birds from the trees; sweet enough to make the cobwebs sing. As testament to the album's strengths, I am wholly sold on "I don't believe in magic" as an opening statement of intent by a band who I fell in love with principally because they sang about bats with butterfly wings. A perfect pop-rock album which is a heart-rending joy to listen to through brightening some of the darkest corners of their past few years. I hope they are thoroughly proud with themselves.

Where's the like button? Very Happy

Golly, Poster

I can't wait for an acoustic version of "I Wish" at some point in the eventual future. Preferably one recorded here. I just imagined what it would sound like, and I got chills.

http://inconnumag.com
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

marshkingsdaughter wrote:
I can't wait for an acoustic version of "I Wish" at some point in the eventual future. Preferably one recorded here. I just imagined what it would sound like, and I got chills.

A day later, and "I Wish" is the track I keep coming back to....It's just...argh (and that's a good argh). Love it.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>