Laughing City
<< prev | goto page

Your feeling on R.E.M. is?
I like R.E.M.
64%
 64%  [ 32 ]
I haven't really heard any R.E.M. even though they've been around over 20 years - basically I live in a cave.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
I prefer older R.E.M. before they sold out and before Berry left.
26%
 26%  [ 13 ]
I'm a teeny bopper and I want my mommy (ga ga goo goo)!
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 50

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I bought the record yesterday, so I'm not too familiar with it to talk in depth. The most surprising thing to me is that after revisiting Accelerate I am really enjoying that album.

Michael was on Fallon last week - interview only - and mentioned how he brought a character back for this album. I think it must be the character from the Houston song on Accelerate. That song has the line, "If the storm doesn't kill me the government will." One of the songs on CIN has a line, "The storm didn't kill me, the government changed."

I know they're not touring this record, but I would really think they'd do some TV appearances. I haven't seen one scheduled yet.

Since they have videos for every song I'm almost certain there will be a deluxe version with a DVD of all the tracks in the future. They are known for having Special Editions for every album, but they don't seem to have done one this time.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, Accelerate if REALLY good. If you like it, you gotta check out the Tragically Hip for sure. My favorites:

Day For Night
Trouble in the Henhouse
Phantom Power
World Container
We Are The Same

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

I also got the new album but I haven't really listened to it yet. I thought Accelerate was good, but it never really clicked with me.

I really wish they would tour. The best show I've seen has been R.E.M. It was in San Antonio in 98 or 99. I saw them again several years ago in Dallas and that was another great show.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

wow. i figured they would choose a long hiatus over this. i guess this means a stipe solo album, but i don't know. did the others always supply the music and then he write the lyrics/melody? i'm not aware of a fully self penned stipe song.

oddly, they were on my mind recently because i came across a youtube member who reviewed their entire discography besides the last one:

www.youtube.com/sirallaboutmusic

i'm still wanting to hear the pre-automatic albums. now this announcement will probably spike their sales and i'll miss out on the cheaper used versions. still not sure if i should get the old cd's or these new reissues,

Sprocket
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
wow. i figured they would choose a long hiatus over this. i guess this means a stipe solo album, but i don't know. did the others always supply the music and then he write the lyrics/melody? i'm not aware of a fully self penned stipe song.

oddly, they were on my mind recently because i came across a youtube member who reviewed their entire discography besides the last one:

www.youtube.com/sirallaboutmusic

i'm still wanting to hear the pre-automatic albums. now this announcement will probably spike their sales and i'll miss out on the cheaper used versions. still not sure if i should get the old cd's or these new reissues,

You have some great listening ahead of you! Very Happy

Reckoning is just a downright loveliness!

As for the split, I'm sad, but not surprised, considering Peter Buck's recent side projects (his work with the Decemberists sounded a lot like R.E.M. of old) and he never really seemed so into the direction the band took after Berry's departure... still, I hope Stipe keeps writing and I'm so glad I got to see them live!

grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

I'm stunned, just saw a headline & read article less than 5 minutes ago. What is most surprising is that they seemed re-energized with the last couple albums and seemed to be on another hot streak. I guess it's better they go out on a high note because another Up or Around the Sun could be next and leave a bad taste in the mouth.

R.E.M. is my 4th favorite band of all time. I will miss anticipating new music from them, but they left behind a huge catalog containing some the greatest rock music ever recorded that fans shouldn't feel too bitter or sad.

I don't have any of the reissues but don't feel like I'm missing out with my originals because they were such classics to begin with. If I was starting from scratch and looking for used, I would just get whichever version I found first.

johnip
Vintage Newbie

A sad day in Athens.
Vintage Newbie

I had just been thinking about R.E.M. while I was driving to pick up my husband yesterday--NPR was interviewing Fountains of Wayne and it was like the most boring interview ever ("So, I hear some Beatles influences in some of your songs!" "Yes.") but I noted that the writer had a tendency to not end thoughts or phrases at the end of a line in a very Stipe-like fashion. Five minutes later on the way home they announced the breakup.

I'm pretty bummed, and I hope by the time my daughter is old enough to appreciate them they'll reunite.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

<< prev | goto page