Laughing City
Marina
Sea Post King

Nowhere Man wrote:
Good stuff and her incredible voice is what sets this above the recent inundation of other pop-folk type bands.

Yeah, this is exactly what I think!

Anyway, this song is cool, but... any Through The Rough's song looks better to me. Any Christie's demos too. But I liked Backwards and her voice sounds more and more beautiful.
olimario
Laughing Citizen

Merriment is my favorite Texas band of 2013
Love all of their songs to DEATH
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Merriment - Sway
April 8th
Barely a month away
Interesting choice on the cover with putting the producer on front - I assume that's who that is - unless there is an official 3rd member I am unaware of.
The back to back orange photo would have made a great cover.
http://www.equalvision.com/news/show/916

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:

Interesting choice on the cover with putting the producer on front - I assume that's who that is - unless there is an official 3rd member I am unaware of.

That's their drummer Remington DuPree. He's the secret DuPree they kept locked away for years in a shed with a drum kit. Whenever he played something resembling a beat they would feed him Corn Nuts through a crack. Well he's become proficient so they've cleaned him up and released him.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
MacRVA
Sea Post King

So, if it's being released on April 8th then I suppose that means they'll have them for sale at the NY date, which means I'll be able to get one, which means that I am really, really stoked.
olimario
Laughing Citizen

I'm freaking out and can't wait.
SO MANY SONGS!
norad
Vintage Newbie

Very excited! Just order the bundle thingy.

Okay, does anyone think that the album photo is kind of the worst they could have chosen?
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

CD by itself with cheapest shipping is $14.50 ($4.50 for 1st Class, which is actually a little cheaper than Media Mail, oddly enough), which is a fair price for a cd nowadays. Especially considering the day of release DL is included.

My only caveat was this bit of text after my order was completed:

"All orders may take up one week to process regardless of shipping method."

I know it's their to cover their rears given past shipping fiascoes with new releases, but the idea that some poor schlep would pay for expedited shipping (they say they plan to ship on April Fool's Day, which is ominous enough as it is) only to have the cd be stuck in "processing" for a calendar week before it leaves the warehouse.

For the record, Media Mail is 2-5 days $4.69, 1st Class, 2-3 days $4.50, Priority 2-3 days $8.00 if I recall correctly.

They give regional specific shipping approximates in the support page from a year ago http://support.merchnow.com/customer/portal/articles/527925-shipping

RE: the album cover. I think it best to reserve judgement until a person has seen all the other proofs from the shoot. Maybe they kept getting photobombed or something?

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

norad wrote:
Very excited! Just order the bundle thingy.

Okay, does anyone think that the album photo is kind of the worst they could have chosen?

That's exactly that I thought when I saw the album cover. It looks like the photographer wasn't paying attention when (s)he took or edited the photo.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
norad
Vintage Newbie

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:
norad wrote:

That's exactly that I thought when I saw the album cover. It looks like the photographer wasn't paying attention when (s)he took or edited the photo.

The fault would also have to be with Merriment for choosing said photo. It's confusing to me. Confused
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I was thinking about what it communicates artistically, if you break down their posture/ demeanor and it sort of makes sense:

Christie is looking away, possibly averting her eyes from the camera/ viewer, purposefully ignoring it, or distracted. This sort of plays into her persona as a song writer. She's always got her mind on something or someone that consumes her focus more so than presenting herself as a performer mugging for the camera. It makes you wonder what she was thinking about. In that way she's true to her persona as a performer in that she has always seemed committed to her muses more so than the obligations of being a performer, though by nature she's a compelling one without even trying.

Collin is starring directly at the camera/ viewer. His look is confident, near intimidating. He seems focused and lacking any apprehension in boldly directing his attention at those directing their attention at him. Seems like prototypical mentality for a Lead Guitarist in a band.

Remington seems focused on the task at hand, posing for a picture, but he's looking off in a direction neither of the others are. It seems pretty odd, but when you look at his pose, it's as poised as the others. It does make him seem a little aloof, dare I say, marching to the beat of his own drummer *rimshot*. He is "the new guy" and the time keeper, so it seems appropriate that he present himself as properly positioned, and not concerned with the meandering focus of the rest of the band.

Ultimately, that everyone in the band has their own focal point and personality represented says a lot about this shot, intentional or not. It's not as obvious as the Oasis album cover for Be Here Now, but I can see that as a point of reference for this type of analysis.

See if you can figure out by location and visual cues who plays what in that shot.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
norad
Vintage Newbie

Sorry Wil, but I doubt anyone put thought into their poses. Thus how the photo turned out. Nothing is wrong with Christie. It's those boy's faces. Reminds me of the Currents album photos a little.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Laughing I was just giving them the benefit of the doubt. I'm guessing it was Chris Phelps who took the photos? If so this is becoming his trademark, or a Dupree trademark. I haven't paid enough attention to his work with other artists/ models.

Hmmm... I wonder if it was Chris Phelps. There are no Merriment shots featured on his site under groups http://www.chrisphelps.com/2012/portfolio/groups/

Even his Eisley shots are for the most part, fairly well posed with a couple of exceptions.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

I thought it was one of Collin's 'famous' jokes when he posted it...

I'm not a huge fan of Merriment, but if I was, I'd be a bit let down, I think -- Christie's the most Boyd-like, imo, where creativity is concerned.

olimario
Laughing Citizen

Yeah, dude on the right looks like he's passing through.

I'm kind of sick of all of this forced sullen nonsense, to be honest.
These are happy people from happy families, as far as I can tell.
Crack a damn smile.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>