Laughing City
golly_sandra
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
I'd rather not wear clothes that have been used. $20 is not that much for a good item of clothing, either.

I agree. It's the idea of not knowing who the clothes belonged to before, where its been and all that.

Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

ali wrote:
clearance section.

Yeah...that's the only section my girls shop in. Stacy found a top there for $11.99. They can't afford to shop there either. Confused
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

Kimbrtones wrote:
ali wrote:
clearance section.

Yeah...that's the only section my girls shop in. Stacy found a top there for $11.99. They can't afford to shop there either. Confused

My favorite shirt is a shirt I got there for 10 bucks.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Catey wrote:
FYI flannel shirts are all the rage for both S/S and A/W 2008 so they are everywhere.

(Flannel is the lumberjack print right? Thats what I would call it here)

Bad example then. Wink You get the idea, though.

princesstripandfall wrote:
Saellys wrote:
Or, better yet, make your own clothes

Yea, except if you wanna make something that actually looks good, it sometimes costs much more than buying it at the store... Razz

Not necessarily. I know several people who can make amazing things out of bargain material. There's always a clearance section in fabric stores and Wal-Mart and the like--I once got five yards of really lovely teal T-shirt material for $4, and will someday turn it into a pullover hoodie.

soupey wrote:
Oh and, Saellys, just because you buy something "in style" doesn't mean you're automatically giving in. It all depends on how you wear it. I could buy a "trendy" tubedress for example, with them expecting you to wear it just as a dress, and there are lots of ways to be anti-trend, put a longsleave shirt underneath, wear stockings, roll up the bottom a little and wear it as a shirt...whatever. The only reason buying new clothes from a store like that is just wearing what people tell you to wear is when you aren't creative with how you wear it.

And you know, someone could also argue that you're just following the trends of last year.

I don't think anyone could argue that I'm following a specific trend.

If you're going to the trouble of making a trendy piece of clothing "anti-trend," why not just buy it secondhand anyway? That way you can be anti-trend without paying out the anus and supporting a wasteful system.

golly_sandra wrote:
patrock wrote:
I'd rather not wear clothes that have been used. $20 is not that much for a good item of clothing, either.

I agree. It's the idea of not knowing who the clothes belonged to before, where its been and all that.

Does that honestly bother people so much? Washing machines are a modern wonder, you know.

I don't like the feel of clothes that come from the thrift store, so I wash them as soon as I get home. Once they come out of the dryer they're the same as all my other clothes and I never wonder where they've been.

If I were buying something brand new, however, I'd spend a lot of time wondering how many women and children in sweat shops were paid a quarter a day to sew my item. Buying secondhand eliminates that guilt, because you're not putting money into that repugnant practice. For the same reason I never buy new leather jackets.

Sorry for the diatribe, guys. Thrift store shopping is a very dear subject to me and I feel compelled to defend its virtues whenever possible.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
golly_sandra
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
golly_sandra wrote:
patrock wrote:

Does that honestly bother people so much? Washing machines are a modern wonder, you know.

I completely respect your opinion, and can see where you're coming from. It's just that everyone has their own back stories and preferences. If not, this world would be one boring place. To answer your question, I don't know about others, but yes, it truly bothers me. It also has to do with family and what my parents believe in/feel about using secondhand things that I have to respect as well.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

golly_sandra wrote:
Saellys wrote:
golly_sandra wrote:
patrock wrote:

I completely respect your opinion, and can see where you're coming from. It's just that everyone has their own back stories and preferences. If not, this world would be one boring place. To answer your question, I don't know about others, but yes, it truly bothers me. It also has to do with family and what my parents believe in/feel about using secondhand things that I have to respect as well.

Fair enough. I didn't intend to belittle those preferences or beliefs. Smile

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

[quote="Saellys"]
Catey wrote:
princesstripandfall wrote:
Saellys wrote:
Or, better yet, make your own clothes

Yea, except if you wanna make something that actually looks good, it sometimes costs much more than buying it at the store... Razz

Not necessarily. I know several people who can make amazing things out of bargain material. There's always a clearance section in fabric stores and Wal-Mart and the like--I once got five yards of really lovely teal T-shirt material for $4, and will someday turn it into a pullover hoodie.

This is true. There are bargain fabrics. But what's on sale isn't always what I need. If I need tulle, I need tulle, not lovely teal t-shirt material. So while the clearance section may be the section I hit first every time, sometimes the fabric I need for something specific I designed just isn't there.

Notions alone are another story. Never on sale, never as cheap as I want.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

to be honest, you can get nice clothes for a much cheaper price. go to Target, i used to work there. they have crazy good clearences. and go to a Super Target.

not a regular one cause it takes longer for them to put stuff to a good clearence price. Super Target's lower them faster cause they have much more in stock.

i bought my sister so many things from Target when i worked there. i hated working there, but their clothes are pretty high quality, i gotta say. i also bought one of my cousins quite a bit. my sister and her loved it. ha.

also, go to Old Navy, i love their clothes. they usually have a wide variety in sizes. and you can find some amazing deals there. i bought 18 articles of clothing for $108 dollars. i got quite a few shirts that were nice button up ones.

it's worth it if you can find an amazing deal. you just have to look hard enough.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
redboots
Sea Post King

After all this conversation/debate regarding expensive clothes and such, I will leave you all with this nice solution: Forever 21.

(the only problem is I can never find the things on the manicans in the store, those items sell out the quickest... plus it gets really crowded and you are likely to see someone wearing the same shirt as you).

Btw, I dont think there is anything wrong with wanting to be in style... people can dress how they like. Not wearing something because it is in style is like not listening to a band because they became successful.... totally ridiculous, in my opinion.
Joined: 30 May 2008 | Posts: 309 | Location: above the tree tops
norad
Vintage Newbie

redboots wrote:
Not wearing something because it is in style is like not listening to a band because they became successful....totally ridiculous, in my opinion.

Seriously.
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

redboots wrote:
Not wearing something because it is in style is like not listening to a band because they became successful.... totally ridiculous, in my opinion.

I agree with this. The only thing worse than doing something just because everyone else does it is to go out of your way so as to not do something just because everyone else is. Ever since I can remember I've wanted a tattoo on the inside of my wrist, but over the past few years that location seems to have become the tramp-stamp of the "emo" "scene". I'm not going to go out of my way, pick a new place and ignore something that I really want just so I don't get confused with people on a bandwagon. I know I didn't jump on and that's enough for me. In this respect, if I walk into Abercrombie (or, to be relevant I suppose, Anthropologie) and see a top I like I probably won't hesitate to buy it, regardless of the fact that there are likely at least half a dozen kids at school with the same one. I pick it because it fits my style, and not because I want to fit theirs.

That said, I can't think of the last time that I bought something other than jeans at a retail store, and even then it was Old Navy. Just about everything I own is band merch of some kind, and I have no problem with that since honestly, I'm generally too lazy for fashion. I like being able to pay $15 for a cheap yet well-made shirt and knowing that a significant part of my money goes to support people who make something I love.

Lost at Forum

Don't Target do a lot of fusion lines with designers? I remember seeing a lot of ads in Teen Vogue and CosmoGirl in the summer issues while I was over advertising some fusion lines. They were adequatly priced from like $20 to $40 or something I do remember.

I don't find Urban Outfitters expensive when I convert it from dollars to pounds but I always wait to buy from the UK store when it hits the sales. I bought one of the Truly Madly Deeply v neck tops that was £25/$50 and got crossed down to £9.99/$20 which was a huge saving. They are good quality I find so spending that extra amount is definatly worth it when it comes to quality.
Joined: 02 Aug 2005 | Posts: 1086 | Location: Essex, England
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

greatgood wrote:
I have flannel sheets. Maybe I could make a shirt out of that.

flannel sheets changed my life, do not damage your precious flannel sheets! i know it gets could down in Missou too.

that's my topic-unrelated post for the day. Wink

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

Catey wrote:
Don't Target do a lot of fusion lines with designers? I remember seeing a lot of ads in Teen Vogue and CosmoGirl in the summer issues while I was over advertising some fusion lines. They were adequatly priced from like $20 to $40 or something I do remember.

I don't find Urban Outfitters expensive when I convert it from dollars to pounds but I always wait to buy from the UK store when it hits the sales. I bought one of the Truly Madly Deeply v neck tops that was £25/$50 and got crossed down to £9.99/$20 which was a huge saving. They are good quality I find so spending that extra amount is definatly worth it when it comes to quality.

i don't remember them doing so. but i haven't worked there since the end of february and have only been inside a target three times since. ha. also, i didn't really pay attention to brands as much as quality and style when buying stuff there.

i'm pretty sure that some of my old co-workers might have thought i was a cross dresser because i bought clothing for my sister once a week. sometimes more. i only explained to the people who asked why i was buying girls clothing/shoes/accessories/etc. i didn't really care what my coworkers thought of me, though. so it worked out.

grain thrower wrote:
greatgood wrote:

flannel sheets changed my life, do not damage your precious flannel sheets! i know it gets could down in Missou too.

uh, i hate flannel. not the look of it. it's too hot to wear or have as sheets. sorry. random rant.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
greatgood
Sea Post King

Music_Lover wrote:
grain thrower wrote:
greatgood wrote:

uh, i hate flannel. not the look of it. it's too hot to wear or have as sheets. sorry. random rant.

It's too hot now. Winter is another story. And my bed is right next to the window. But honestly I'm lucky to change my sheets twice a year.