Laughing City
Mylovelyislostatsea
Sea Post King

Honestly, I can see the past tourmates both helped and hurt eisley.
Eisley is too indie for the Paramore/NFG/TBS/SA fans, but not indie enough for the so called indie fans.
(And by indie I don't mean an independent label. Eisley is treated like they are on one by WB, it seems.)

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
vivalaspopie wrote:
If they wanted to take a shot at making big bucks, they could have had it. They were asked to go on tour with a pop musician who was very popular at the time (I believe it was around '05); I'm talking stadium big. I guess they didn't want to be seen as that type of band, though. I can't remember whether they passed on the offer of their own volition or because of management. Eh.

It was Hillary Duff.

Better fit than 80% of the bands they have toured with... Not to mention the tween market would have loved Eisley. Didn't Duff have a couple movies and a gold album that year? May have been crap, but what better way to introduce the youth of America to good music than to open for the Disney machine? I would say the same thing for the current Disney machine (though I think 2005 would have been a better time for Eisley to have done this than 2009 when they're all now adults).
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
vivalaspopie wrote:
If they wanted to take a shot at making big bucks, they could have had it. They were asked to go on tour with a pop musician who was very popular at the time (I believe it was around '05); I'm talking stadium big. I guess they didn't want to be seen as that type of band, though. I can't remember whether they passed on the offer of their own volition or because of management. Eh.

It was Hillary Duff.

I would have gone. Hilary Duff is hottttt.
golly andrew
Laughing Citizen

uncreative wrote:
JBaker wrote:
vivalaspopie wrote:

It was Hillary Duff.

I would have gone. Hilary Duff is hottttt.

Yeah but in '05 you would've had to keep that thought to yourself cos she was like 12.
Joined: 23 Mar 2005 | Posts: 1919 | Location: In a glass case of emotion
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
tahruh wrote:
@wil:

"Death Cab For Cutie took 5 albums to break

Modest Mouse took about that long

Muse took 3"

Totally different bands. All 3 had huge underground followings prior to their "breakthroughs."

@drew:

Then there's the fact that those people who would get them (people who creative writing and actual talent appeal to) have no idea who they are (or perhaps have no reason to remember them - their EPs were making rounds in hipster circles some moons ago), because they're not spending their time dicking around on a site like AP.net or following the moves of a band like New Found Glory.

@Nico:

Right, but they've been building for awhile now. Wil brought up MM who formed in 93 and had their most successful album about a decade later. I'm not saying this as a way to measure Eisley's success, though. I'm just sayin' if they "make it" with this album, it's certainly not going to be "quickly."

They're not a bunch of middle-aged suburbanites rocking out in their garages, with unrealistic dreams of selling out stadiums. Time's not rapidly running out by any means, but then again, I don't think that was Joe's point. There was a lot of emphasis on their age with Room Noises, but now they're all at a normal age where writing an interesting song isn't exactly mind-blowing. I think the question is what's the selling point now? It should be the music, but that's not often how it goes, and I'm sure everyone here is aware of that.

Also, I'm not convinced Eisley has dreams of being the biggest band in the world. However, people can say what they want, but I think their actions have shown they want to reach a less broader definition of success. And there's nothing wrong with that. They've achieved a hell of a lot for a bunch of siblings from a small town in Texas, but as I'm fairly certain I saw Kim once say, it'd be nice to actually make a living at it. There's plenty of talented well-known acts, and not every indie band is so genius that only a small percentage of people with anti-social tendencies can grasp what they're about. Feist isn't Madonna, but she's seen mainstream success and is certainly not void of talent. It's okay to be and also to not be the smallest band in the world, but it's up to said band, and having talent doesn't negate either route.

Also, also: what Hannah said. Wink

I said about... and honestly you are going to have to define a HUGE UNDERGROUND FOLLOWING. I define it as an oxymoron. Like a Huge Minority.

Tours wise: Coldplay and Snow Patrol and the Frey aren't exactly like Eisley, but in all the three cases the music had sentiment, wasn't obnoxiously upbeat and aggressive, so they were decent fits (albeit Eisley would have been a better fit for Vida la Vida given Coldplay's new found bent for musical experimentation with their formula) but that was also perhaps a benefit of that management relationship.

Death Cab would be a Coup, but so far it seems they are working on getting into the U2/ Coldplay club.

I think some of the bands we think are Big bands, ain't as hot as they're made out to be.

For instance, Who's a Rogue Wave fan after seeing them Open for DCFC? How big are they Now? How about the Velvet Teen, who's a fan now after they went on the road opening for Jimmy Eat World?

Mutual touring is great for grassroots efforts but I'm starting to doubt it's impact on big ticket shows anymore cause so many people tune out the openers.

Of and Feist, good for her, but what about the rest of Broken Social Scene (who I say last fall)? Land of Talk opened, and I loved them, but I'm the exception. St. Vincent was just in town and A: I didnt' know until she'd came and went, B: she played in a little club for local bands that isn't known for pubbing the acts.

Notoriety doesn't equal cash flow.

And again, I think that maybe alot of you guys where younger when Room Noises came out so the Age factor was more important to you then, but I don't think it really came across in how their music was promoted, if anything it was the Family aspect of the band, and the music being atypical of a band on a major...

By the way, here are some bands who's success I think is greatly over-estimated by their own fans and followers (not their talent, they market share and selling power):

Arcade Fire
Interpol
The Strokes
Bright Eyes in all it's incarnations
The Decemberists
Tegan and Sara
Polyphonic Spree
Flaming Lips
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
yatada yatada yatada

I'm just saying their cds aren't flying off the shelves like the press would have you believe.

Don't let a magazine cover shoots fool ya!

Oh, and as a post script, Jeff Buckley's Grace didn't go Gold until 2002, 8 years after it was released, 5 after his passing. Keep it real.

What I think a lot of what you're saying has more to do with 'success' and not enough to do with 'failure'. Sure, some band make it HUGE. But most musicians get dropped and go back to their home towns and get jobs. I said a long time ago that Eisley should be on a car commercial (a long time ago the only place you heard indie music in commercials were in car commercials). These days even outside of commercials, there are a lot of different ways to get your music out there. BUT one of the main things they can do is to get on a soundtrack. I remember the Invasion soundtrack that people wanted them to get on, but it didn't pan out too well... well neither did the movie. But if they could've gotten on the 500 Days of Summer soundtrack or the Juno soundtrack I think this thread may never have been posted.

Well back to the other people who were successful back in the '90s download days (Dual Tape Recorders). Death Cab were successful before they signed to a major. Trent got huge after the first Lollapalooza. Back then there was a huge interest in 'Alternative Music'. The majors tried to sign just about every alt act under the sun hoping they'd be the next Nirvana. That's what birthed Green Day's success, and subsequently Blink 182's. And truth, Eisley was signed under project '"the"/garage/INDIE IS THE NEXT BIG THING' before the market switched to pop-punk/emo after nu-metal went under. I don't think the window closed for Eisley yet, but they've got to attach to something.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

In 2005 she was 18 or 19. And HilDuf was awesome then. ~LET THE RAIN FALL~.

So they turned it down? Dang. Also, that precedes the JoBros takeover. They could've been the first Christian Sibling superband. And they supposedly love Disney (enough for Sherri to want to dig up Walt, lmao).
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
In 2005 she was 18 or 19. And HilDuf was awesome then. ~LET THE RAIN FALL~.

So they turned it down? Dang. Also, that precedes the JoBros takeover. They could've been the first Christian Sibling superband. And they supposedly love Disney (enough for Sherri to want to dig up Walt, lmao).

Why? Walt would've gutted her as soon as he found out she was part Jewish.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

JBaker wrote:
vivalaspopie wrote:

It was Hillary Duff.

That would have been a smart move.
And, I'm not gonna lie, I would've gone.
I'm not a fan of Hilary's music,
but she is a sweetheart, an impressive live performer for the kind of generic pop she makes (yea, I know first hand...saw her that year san antonio rodeo. Not by choice, but I did. I'd give her more props than Taylor-constantly slightly off pitch- Swift), and I was 14 in 2005. So were *alot* of Hilary's fans. That same year, Eisley became my favorite band. A month later.

All I'm saying is, yea,,,I've always been a fan of more singer/songwriter, "organic" music, but Hilary was really, really good at what she had going on. She handled it well.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

@joe: That and the fact that he'd need to be thawed out, rather than dug up!
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

princesstripandfall wrote:
JBaker wrote:
vivalaspopie wrote:

It was Hillary Duff.

That would have been a smart move.
And, I'm not gonna lie, I would've gone.
I'm not a fan of Hilary's music,
but she is a sweetheart, an impressive live performer for the kind of generic pop she makes (yea, I know first hand...saw her that year san antonio rodeo. Not by choice, but I did. I'd give her more props than Taylor-constantly slightly off pitch- Swift), and I was 14 in 2005. So were *alot* of Hilary's fans. That same year, Eisley became my favorite band. A month later.

All I'm saying is, yea,,,I've always been a fan of more singer/songwriter, "organic" music, but Hilary was really, really good at what she had going on. She handled it well.
Yeah. And lol@T. Swift. Her VMA commercial was one of the worst things I'd ever heard. Girl cayn't sang!
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:

Do you think I'm joking? Walt Disney was a notorious sexist, racist, anti-Semite, and general $#@!. People don't say that stuff just to be funny.
It's true.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
tahruh wrote:

Do you think I'm joking? Walt Disney was a notorious sexist, racist, anti-Semite, and general $#@!. People don't say that stuff just to be funny.
It's true.
I'm well aware of what a creep he was (racist, extremist, alcoholic, possible drug user, etc). I was providing further commentary on Sherri's ignorance (albeit that was part was jokingly)!
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Ironic that they turned down a big tour with a big pop act, as that's now clearly the direction they have decided to go musically. Guess it wasn't where they were then though.

At least the quality sounds to have improved, but they are definitely going more in the direction of the slicker kind of thing that gets picked up for TV shows, in-store music selections, etc; if anything they have moved further away from the moss eisley vibe.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

They're going for the Hillary Duff vibe? Ok ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

TheAntrider wrote:
They're going for the Hillary Duff vibe? Ok ...

Not exactly what I said.
My post was value neutral; any value judgment you read into it came from you.

Sensitive day?