43%
 43%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 71

cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

leighish wrote:
mr pine wrote:
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
5 years 1 month sober. As of 5 years and 1 month ago, I was a lush.

congrates! On the 20th of this month I will be five years sober.

sincere congratulations to both of you!

yes, congrats!
my last post on this subject was sarcastic,
but with a few recovering alcoholics in my family,
I understand the severity of what alcohol can do to a person, whether it just be a horrible night, or a horrible year(s)...
5 years sober is truly incredible Smile

jamiga
Vintage Newbie

I am a bit of a lightweight (those who know me will snicker at that comment!)... get one drink in me and I'm GONE. I try to stay far far away from alcohol, but I have been known to 'attempt' to outdrink the firefighters on occasion. I never win. My friends now know my limits after our last outing at the local karaoke bar. Embarassed

So, with that being said, I do NOT drink very often. Maybe twice a year.

ghost in the snow
Golly, Poster

i drank 3 nights in a row last week but that was mostly because i've been spending 24/7 with foreign students and it was the week before classes start. now that i'm going to be busy with schoolwork i'll drink maybe once or twice a week on the weekend. i rarely get drunk, but i have a lot more fun with a slight buzz going on. i don't see anything wrong with it.
dannychair
Golly, Poster

Kappa962 wrote:
To those of you who don't think you like the flavor of beer, keep in mind it is typically an acquired taste. But it is so very worth acquiring. I now drink soda very rarely because beer has awakened me to how shallow the taste of soda is. If I want a cheap drink with nothing to offer in the way of flavor, I'll drink water. It's cheaper, healthier and more refreshing.

I think you should treat alcohol the same way you treat marriage/relationships. Marrying the wrong person has ruined a lot of lives, but I think it's unreasonable to say that most people should consider celibacy for that reason. The same with alcohol. Treat it with loads of respect, but it's silly to avoid entirely unless there are serious extenuating circumstances.)

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts on this because you tend to be one of the few Americans here who "get it" when it comes to alcohol.

I studied abroad for a semester in Germany, and let me tell you, it was an eye opener when it came to drinking. Here in this US, it's just so hard to see how something like beer can be an art form so attached to culture. Many Germans I met had a stereotypical image of the American abroad, who was a tourist who drank alcohol in mass quantities to get drunk while totally ignoring the taste and tradition. There, they take pride in how their beer tastes, which I cannot emphasize tastes so much better than almost anything you can find here. I couldn't stand beer until I went there and for good reason; many of their beers are pure and made with only water, malt, yeast, and hops while here most of the available beer is mass produced and just gross. My host family and I enjoyed wine every night with our dinners. They spent an extensive amount of time discussing where the wine came from, how it was made, how it tasted, et cetera...but not once did I see them drunk.

Point is, I guess our culture can partially be blamed for the black-or-white attitude Americans have developed toward alcohol, particularly beer. We just don't have a tradition of beer making that encourages drinking in moderation for taste instead of hammering back a six pack of whatever crap is available on sale at the grocery store.

uncreative
Vintage Newbie

dannychair wrote:
Kappa962 wrote:
To those of you who don't think you like the flavor of beer, keep in mind it is typically an acquired taste. But it is so very worth acquiring. I now drink soda very rarely because beer has awakened me to how shallow the taste of soda is. If I want a cheap drink with nothing to offer in the way of flavor, I'll drink water. It's cheaper, healthier and more refreshing.

I think you should treat alcohol the same way you treat marriage/relationships. Marrying the wrong person has ruined a lot of lives, but I think it's unreasonable to say that most people should consider celibacy for that reason. The same with alcohol. Treat it with loads of respect, but it's silly to avoid entirely unless there are serious extenuating circumstances.)

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts on this because you tend to be one of the few Americans here who "get it" when it comes to alcohol.

I studied abroad for a semester in Germany, and let me tell you, it was an eye opener when it came to drinking. Here in this US, it's just so hard to see how something like beer can be an art form so attached to culture. Many Germans I met had a stereotypical image of the American abroad, who was a tourist who drank alcohol in mass quantities to get drunk while totally ignoring the taste and tradition. There, they take pride in how their beer tastes, which I cannot emphasize tastes so much better than almost anything you can find here. I couldn't stand beer until I went there and for good reason; many of their beers are pure and made with only water, malt, yeast, and hops while here most of the available beer is mass produced and just gross. My host family and I enjoyed wine every night with our dinners. They spent an extensive amount of time discussing where the wine came from, how it was made, how it tasted, et cetera...but not once did I see them drunk.

Point is, I guess our culture can partially be blamed for the black-or-white attitude Americans have developed toward alcohol, particularly beer. We just don't have a tradition of beer making that encourages drinking in moderation for taste instead of hammering back a six pack of whatever crap is available on sale at the grocery store.

The tradition is there, it's just not as large as in Germany. I'd say it's kind of "underground" in America, and it's fairly new (started in the 80's). It's called craft beer. Beer that is brewed with emphasis on quality and diversity (many different kinds of beers, not diversity in the target customer) rather than low cost and mass advertising. Basically the opposite of Budweiser.
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

I never had a drink til I was 27. I don't drink very often, a few times a year. I used to drink more often. I have been really drunk a few times. One time I was drinking whisky and rum and I blacked out, that was funny. I'll agree that once you've puked a certain drink like whisky or whatever, it kind of ruins your taste for it for a long time. I'll usually just drink beer though I don't like the taste, it's just easier and cheaper to order. The buzz is nice. My favorite drink though I rarely get it is a Kamikaze, really delicious.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

i use to drink a lot.. those that were at the infamous new years eisley show in dallas know this but i've pretty much stopped.

i rarely if ever drink to excess. Last night i had a glass of wine while reading some stuff but that's about it. I would say about once a month i drink enough to actually feel the effects.

mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

I definately agree with you on the fact that beers have different tastes, and that alcohol in whatever form is an acquired taste (apart from shots, which clearly only exist to get you hammered). I respect people who know their wines and, more especially, beers - i say this because there's so many types of wines, and most people don't bother trying to taste different types of beer.

I have tried a few different types, and the only two I really enjoyed were Michelob and Carlsbourg Stout.. Unfortunately, Michelob is pretty rare, so it's pretty steep. I just can't afford that. Carlsbourg Stout probably only exists in sub-saharan Africa.
Good beer is out the question, for me! I'm a poor student!

Bad beer is just rank, so why would i touch it? Laughing

Personally, I prefer to have fun without a taste i don't like! Laughing

This conversation is old, so...

)____________________________________________________________

BBC Radio 1 are doing an alcohol awareness thing. Apparantly radio DJ's are being blamed for encouraging the drinking culture - so i heard from Tom Morton on his Radio Scotland show: i'm not sure how related that is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/alcohol/2008/

Check it out. It's got all sorts.

Including an experiment that's like the time the dude ate McDonalds three times a day for however long. Two men drink twice the Recommended daily amount of units for a week.
Confused

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland

<< prev | goto page