Laughing City
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
There's been instances of songs becoming big hits a year or so after it was actually released, and then a re-release was done. There's one in particular I'm thinking of, but I can't place the artist.

Now that I think of it, that might be what WB was ham-handedly attempting when they put "Telescope Eyes" and "Golly Sandra" as bonus tracks on some copies of Combinations. But that might be crediting the label with too much intelligence. Rolling Eyes

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

tahruh wrote:
The creator of The OC also created Gossip Girl, which is on the CW. They're basically the same show, different coasts, so you're not way off.

The OC and Gossip Girl are very similar when you compare seasons with Mischa Barton in them, but without her in season 4, The OC was Fantastic Teen TV. (Gossip Girl's on...Watchable, Ridiculous Teen TV)

Anyway,
And your other point, about singles being singles way past their release...

I'm Yours was a little baby inkling of a song in 2004, a solid demo in 2005, and by 2009 is possibly one of the most overhyped singles everr.

(Jason Mraz is amazing. I just liked him *much* more before he sold out crowds of 12,000 and "put on a SHOW." Seeing him live in 2004 vs. this September...is...shocking? All the intimacy is gone)
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Oh here's more dirt on those songs from wiki:

launch and relaunch 95-96 wrote:
The original version of "Who Will Save Your Soul" was initially released in 1995 on Jewel's debut album, Pieces of You and then excluded from the track list the following year, when she went back into the studio to re-record the song for the radio. Instead of just a guitar and her voice, other instruments were added. Catering towards a pop audience, a verse was cut, and the radio version of the single was produced. It incorporates unique vocal key changes and is a classic example of her honest lyrics and raw voice.
A commercial single of Who Will Save Your Soul was released in the United States in 1996. It became her first hit single, peaking at #11 on the Billboard Hot 100.

those other two might have just taken a REALLY long time to climb the charts and got a late push to break through:

re: Over My Head (cable car)

really long gestation 04-06 wrote:
The song was originally recorded as a demo early in the band's life. This demo version was picked up by Denver radio station 93.3 KTCL, and became one of the station's most played songs of 2004 after four months.

The music video was directed by Elliott Lester and was filmed on July 24, 2005 at East High School (Denver, Colorado) and at Fox Theatre in Boulder, Colorado. The video shows the members of the band as children, who attract the attention of other children by playing various instruments. Micah Slade, the youngest brother of Isaac Slade, assumes the role of Isaac as a child in the music video. While the video was not granted very much airplay on MTV, it peaked at #2 in the VH1 Top 20 Countdown. It was ranked number 8 on VH1's "Top 40 Videos of 2006."

As of October 8, 2006, the song sold 1.3 million digital singles in the United States, giving the single Platinum status.[3] As of July 13, the song was the fifth most-downloaded single of 2006.[4] ... The success that the song saw in the US prompted Epic Records to release the single in Australia and New Zealand as well... In the UK, it hit the Top 20. In Australia, though the single went gold (35,000+ units shipped)... It has also charted in the top 100 of the German singles chart. In the beginning of 2007, the song became popular in the Netherlands.

RE: Harder to Breathe

long gestation 02-03 wrote:
Maroon 5 released "Harder to Breathe" in the United States in July 2002 as the lead single of their debut album.[6] The single charted on Airplay Monitor in the number six position.[6] It peaked at number eighteen on Billboard's Hot 100.[7] The song also appeared on Billboard's Hot Modern Rock Tracks chart in the number thirty-one position.[7] Internationally, "Harder to Breathe" appeared in the UK Singles Chart on January 31, 2004 in the number thirteen spot.[8] The song spent seven weeks on the chart, before retiring in the peak position of sixty.[8] The single appeared in the Netherlands, Sweden, Australia, and New Zealand charts.[9]

That doesn't say much until you consider the how long it took for them to release the second single:

Quote:

The single["This Love"] was officially released to radio in North America in January 2004, although the music video was released six months later.[32] "This Love" appeared on the Billboard Hot 100, less than a month before its physical release, and debuted at number five.[33]... In 2007, the song re-entered the chart at the number 36 position on Billboard's Hot Digital Songs.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 am; edited 2 times in total
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Hey There, Delilah.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

JBaker gets the square!

wiki wrote:
"Hey There Delilah" is the third single released from the band Plain White T's 2005 album All That We Needed. In June 2007, over two years after the song's release, it became the band's first hit in the United States, eventually reaching the top spot on the Billboard Hot 100 in July. From July 3, 2007 through July 28, the song was the number one most played song on the radio, and the number one downloaded song on the U.S. iTunes Music Store. Since its release, "Hey There Delilah" has been covered by many artists worldwide in one form or another

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

I think that was the one I was thinking of!