Laughing City
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

so i've been doing a bit of cleaning and moving for the past couple of days., and i've had my radio tuned to NPR as I usually do. Now, being in East Texas, sometimes we get bleed over, and one station will override another. Occasionally, NPR turns into a CCM-based radio station, which is often funny at times, especially when the NPR commentator happens to be going off about Christians and fundamentalists (this has happened on several occasions. A message, perhaps? hmmm...)

I will admit that while I'm a Christian, I'm not much of one for CCM. It's more of a taste thing I guess. Anyway, today the station came on and I couldn't fiddle with the radio as I usually do, so I just left it on. Nothin' wrong with a little bit of the good Word every now and then. I was only casually listening to the radio, but when I paid attention to the song, I recognized it as one that the praise team at the Vineyard does regularly and is one that features Sherri on lead vocals. I thought, 'wow, that's kinda cool, it puts it in perspective, hearing a different version of it.' After the song ended and an announcement, the next song that came on...was another song that the praise team does! It was nice--although, to be fair (and this is a sign of the problem of modern CCM) when I first heard the second song, I thought 'wow, they're playing the same song twice) Smile

I've never seen Eisley live (yet) but I have seen the Vineyard Praise Team, and I've said it before and I've said it again--Eisley's got some tough competition in my book! (Don't think that it was limited to just the Eisley section of the team; when the girls and boys were off on tour, they had a pretty good little band, featuring some great singing by younger members of the family, who showed that she don't need to be climbing out of bedroom window ropes! lol)

It also gave me something to smile about--as we all know, this music business is one that's a difficult sea, and lots of great bands that start out never make it to shore...but hearing those songs on the radio today, and hearing how clearly SUPERIOR sherri and stacy and company made these songs...it's something to take comfort in knowing that these talented young people could easily have a career in the Christian music world--and could easily be gangbusters in it as well.

isn't that great to know? how many bands do you know and like have such talent and skill like that? I keep thinking of the bands I like, and I can't really think of any that could continue to survive and have success should the carpet be pulled out of them.

It also makes me appreciate the girls' singing, and I'm kinda bummed to know that in the next year they probably won't be around much to grace the Vineyard with their awesomely angelic singing Sad

ps. i'm still waiting for the day that Kim sings 'Tree Tops'! Razz

BeastieEastie
Golly, Poster

That is cool....I am a Christian I listent to CCM sometimes, but I tend to listen to Christian Metal and Rock....although at church I lead worhip songs and hymns....but hey I love it all....love to hear some songs by Eisley that we play at church...wanna talk about awesome....I love beautiful voices.

Do you smell that? What is it?
Joined: 24 Oct 2004 | Posts: 895 | Location: Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

If ever I'm in Tyler, I'm definitely going to a Sunday service at the Vineyard. It sounds like such a cool, relaxed place, and as a worship team musician myself, I'd love to see what their praise band does.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
markymark106
Golly, Poster

i heard the Vineyard praise team likes to jam heavy metal.
theenvycorps
Vintage Newbie

I played in praise teams for 7 years....I learned almost everything I know about playing music, leading a band, etc from it. I don't have time to anymore, but I'd enjoy doing it again someday.
Last edited by theenvycorps on Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
boyd
Eisleyoid

markymark would know... mr. johnny buckley over there.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
Andrew
Lost at Forum

Its a great service. Wish I could go more but its a fairly long drive from where I lived and where I live now.
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 1479 | Location: Dallas, Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

markymark106 wrote:

i wouldn't say heavy metal, but boyd's definitely bringing the hard rock to the program! i swear, he's the neil peart of praise music!

but on a more serious note, at the end of last week's service, when they were vamping on the final song, I was surprised (in a nice way) to finally hear some Eisley-style guitar (think that fourth song on Laughing City). it was a nice touch! they were just vamping, it seems. Nice touch, folks!

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

boyd wrote:
markymark would know... mr. johnny buckley over there.

... Did you mean Jonny Buckland? Or Jeff Buckley? Shocked Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
markymark106
Golly, Poster

mister_joseph wrote:
markymark106 wrote:

but on a more serious note, at the end of last week's service, when they were vamping on the final song, I was surprised (in a nice way) to finally hear some Eisley-style guitar (think that fourth song on Laughing City). it was a nice touch! they were just vamping, it seems. Nice touch, folks!

hahahaha.
you liked that guitar part!?!!
YES!!!!

i liked playing it.
mixes things up a bittttttt.
Kspice
Golly, Poster

I'm getting the idea that everyone from east texas is musically inclined. Must be the water?
phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

No, it's just because all the rest of Texas is full of country singers, so the east has to have an inordinate number of actual good musicians in order to keep the state in equilibrium.