Laughing City
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

yeah so we have to this thing for my english class here at wentworth where i have to describe something that i'm a member of to someone who's an outsider. natuarally, i chose the eisley forum.

so, i figured i share it with you all. sorry teddy, i couldn't find a spot to fit you into the paper Sad Wink

so here it is.... it's long but you are required to read it. no excuses.

The band Eisley is a five piece, sibling, indie rock band from Tyler, TX with a very unique sound. With such influences as the Beatles, Radiohead, and Coldplay, the band has managed to create beautiful music despite not even having a full-length album out. But, almost as amazing as the band's music, is the band's online community. For as soon as you join, you'll notice that things run differently on it than other forums. Right at the top of the forum a quote is found that sums up everything about the board. “A special kind of message board… is for you.”

An outsider might be confused when they first arrive at the gates of the forum. Who's this Boyd character? Why is he chronicling everything about the band from their recording process to what they did for Halloween? Why are the members calling Kimbrtones their “Forum Mom”? Why are there so many people that spend ridiculous amounts of time on the forum discussing everything from politics to personal problems and troubles? It's because of the standard set by the unique, and special kindness of the band that spread into all of its members. Boyd and Kim (Kimbrtones) are the parents of four out of five members of the band. Over time, a friendship and connection has developed between the band, its family, and members around the world. Boyd and Kim share their family's lives, and we share ours with them, and the rest of the board. There is an element of trust between all, and you feel like you can share anything with the friends you've made.

I was skeptical the first time I ventured onto the forum. I've experienced forums for bands before, and usually, there is a rejection to any new member by the older ones. You aren't welcomed like you are on the Eisley forum. On a different board, once older members finally accept you, you find it continues to not be a very friendly place. There is constant bickering between members, and no views on topics are respected. So when I wandered onto the Eisley forum, I expected to have to wait a while before I was able to address anyone or start a topic; this wasn't the case. I found that members who had been there since the forum's start, as well as members with the highest post counts immediately welcomed me. My first private message was from a member of the band's family, Christie. She welcomed me, and started a conversation about my forum name, and what it stood for. I found that I could immediately reply to Boyd's posts that concerned the band. Now, as a member who's been there for a long time, I do the same for the new members. I won't think twice about their opinions just because they are new. Certainly, they want that same welcome as I received.

Like I said before, an element that makes the board great is the connection you get to have with the lives of the band. From the band's first tour with Coldplay, Boyd has chronicled the band's life in separate journals. He'll tell you about how a show went, what went on while equipment was being loaded, or how the sound quality was for the band's set. But then he'll tell you about how the band is coping with life on the road or what they did for fun along the way. While they were recording for the upcoming full-length album (CHECK IT OUT!), Boyd told us about things ranging from what movie they watched in their hotel room to how they are dealing with leaving half of the family back home. During all of this, the members are able to respond back to Boyd. Discussions between the members and Boyd sometimes begin about any new news, but there are always words of encouragement, support, and thanks. These words develop half of the connection that is essential to the Eisley forum. Boyd probably put it best in one of his journals for the Brand New tour. “No matter what happens with this small blip (Eisley) on the rock music radar, we just want to thank you guys who have been so amazing in spreading the word and being such a huge part of what's happening with the band. You do not realize that this relationship is vital to Eisley's existence. One is no more important than the other... I mean, I guess the music came first...but, without you, it would have stopped in their bedrooms and never been heard.”

The members' role in the band even goes beyond a personal level. We're sometimes involved in important decisions for the band. Only recently, members of the forum have been actively involved in creating the new street team for the band. We've been discussing the development of a new spring tour with Boyd. Over the spring and summer, while the full-length was being recorded, we had input into topics like what songs should be included in the final cut. These almost business relationship discussions are taken by Boyd to the bands label and our points and cases are argued in front of management executives of WB. That's pretty amazing when you think about it.

But that's only one half of the great place that is the Eisley forum. There are other sections for the members to travel into to discuss all things non-Eisley. There is a music forum for us to discuss some of our other favorite bands. Because of the great taste of my fellow members, I've almost doubled my music collection from the bands I've learned about from them. Along with music, there is the general forum to discuss anything that you want. Here is where the friendships between the members have developed. Besides joking around with each other, which causes for some great times on the forum, serious issues are discussed. Members, including myself, have come onto this forum for advice on personal issues, to discuss family problems, or to request prayers for a sick loved one. These threads are well responded to every time and the thread's creator always comes out in the end feeling better about whatever was troubling them. Issues such as politics are discussed regularly. Most of the time, we can hold political debates with each other that are rather civilized. Anywhere else I might go on the Internet to read about politics, I find that views are not respected and the whole discussion turns into an argument.

An extremely unique experience is held on the forum between the members, and the band. It's different from any other forum out there. I'd go as far to say that it's different from anything out there. It's weird to think about how people on a worldwide scale can connect like we do. But on the Eisley forum, it happens.

i also had to do a glossary of terms that involve the forum. i already made a thread about it but i'm still taking ideas until tommorow here http://www.eisley.org/viewtopic.php?t=9907

so yeah, if you guys have any ideas to improve that paper. go on ahead. you all can be my proof readers.
Last edited by BNROCKS on Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
The_Sympt0m
Vintage Newbie

great paper, but it needs paragraphs...

-ben

PS™ Very Happy

Vintage Newbie

actually if you look, there is. it just deleted the double spacing i used and the tabs.
Silver Star Rain
Lost at Forum

I saw where the new paragraphs started... Very Happy

Hey, splendid job.
I dig.

(and I read the whole thing...)

And it's so sad to see the world agree
That they'd rather see their faces fill with flies
All when I'd want to keep white roses in their eyes.

Joined: 01 Sep 2003 | Posts: 1061 | Location: The Stoned Mountain
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

i'm all warm and fuzy inside, i've been touched, but in a good way...
jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

BNROCKS wrote:
Who's this Boyd character? Why is he chronically everything about the band

heh i did that,

great piece by the way it described this place very well Very Happy

-NiQ

The_Sympt0m
Vintage Newbie

just a little advice, take it as you will, it's a great paper, but for reasons of flow, i would shorten the paragraphs, as it would make the read easier, and add white space to make it look better, rather than grueling. The lack of white space makes the paper feel less like the light-hearted scene that it describes...

-ben

PS™ maybe i still am not seeing the paragraphs, but it looks like there are only 4-5 to me...

Vintage Newbie

thanks guys.

ben i edited it for you. the paper is actually double spaced so i don't think i need to make any of those changes. there will be enough white space.
EisleyForever
Vintage Newbie

BNROCKS wrote:
But, almost as amazing as the band's music, is the band's online community. For as soon as you join, you'll notice that things run differently on it than other forums.

I would suggest that you delete the period between these two sentences and turn it into a comma to make it flow better.

BNROCKS wrote:
Why is he chronically everything about the band from their recording process to what they did for Halloween?

Replace "chronically" with "chronicling".

BNROCKS wrote:
It's because of the standard set by the unique, and special kindness of the band that spread into all of its members.

Maybe get rid of the comma in this sentence.

BNROCKS wrote:
Over time, a friendship and connection has developed between the band, it's family, and members around the world.

There is no comma in a possessive "its".

BNROCKS wrote:
Boyd and Kim share their family's lives, and we share ours with them, and the rest of the board.

Maybe get rid of the comma at "we share ours with them and the rest of the board".

BNROCKS wrote:
I've experienced forums for bands before. Usually, there is a rejection to any new member by the older ones.

I think this would flow better if these two sentences were put together. "I've experienced forums for bands before, and usually, there is a rejection to any new member by the older ones." Only maybe.

BNROCKS wrote:
So when I wandered onto the Eisley forum I expected to have to wait a while before I was able to address anyone or start a topic. But that wasn't the case.

It might look better if you said, "So when I wandered onto the Eisley forum, I expected to have to wait a while before I was able to address anyone or start a topic; this was not the case." Both of them work, really.

BNROCKS wrote:
But then he'll tell you about how the band is coping with life on the road or what they did for fun along the way. While they were recording for the upcoming full-length album (CHECK IT OUT!), Boyd told us about things ranging from what movie they watched in their hotel room to how they are coping with leaving half of the family back home.

Maybe change "coping" to dealing, or some other word that means the same thing ... coping was just used a few sentences ago.

BNROCKS wrote:
Discussions between the members and Boyd sometimes begin about any new news. But there are always words of encouragement, support, and thanks.

Maybe put these two sentences together and replace the period with a comma.

BNROCKS wrote:
These almost business relationship discussions are taken by Boyd to the bands label and our points and cases are argued in front of management executives of WB.

The band's label, with apostrophe, for it is being used possessively.

BNROCKS wrote:
Along with music, there is the general forum for to discuss anything that you want.

Either "For discussing anything that you want", or "to discuss anything that you want".

BNROCKS wrote:
Members, including myself, have come onto this forum for advise on personal issues, to discuss family problems, or to request prayers for a sick loved one.

"Advise" is a verb; it should be "advice", advise's noun counterpart.

BNROCKS wrote:
These threads are well responded too every time

To*.

BNROCKS wrote:
An extremely unique experience is held on the forum between the members, and the band.

I would delete the comma here.

Oh, my God ... I'M ERIN! (Runs away sobbing)

I really liked the paper Smile El excellente.

wildiris
Sea Post King

oh-my-gawsh. haha, i love you. i almost did this.
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

WOW

thanks a ton teddy! you rock!

btw, my prof told us there's a comma before every "and". that's the only thing i didn't change from what you said. i don't know if he's right, but he's the one grading Wink
EisleyForever
Vintage Newbie

Technically, both with and without a comma before "and" are correct. It all depends on the person, really, and which way they like to write.

I feel like a bad person for proofreading it Crying or Very sad

BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

EisleyForever wrote:
Technically, both with and without a comma before "and" BOTH are correct. It all depends on the person, really, and which way they like to write.

I feel like a bad person for proofreading it Crying or Very sad

don't feel bad! i asked for you guys to do it! my prof is a big jerk when it comes to grammer and i suck with it. you probably saved me a whole letter grade with those corrections Very Happy
EisleyForever
Vintage Newbie

..R...really?

GRAMMAR* NOT GRAMMER*!!!

NEIN NERHOUSEN!

SCHLECKINZEEPINKLOOSCHZKIN!

CZAIREILADEUTZSVEN!

(Gets crazy German look in her eyes, cracks wooden cane at people)

PLECKINSVECZEN!

BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

haha well that's why if i'm writing a paper i do it in microsoft word where it corrects me and my bad spelling Cool

anybody else catch anything?