Laughing City
breauxman
Vintage Newbie

Yehoshua wrote:

I dont' know which one he is... but yeah!

Jonathan is the bassist.
Joined: 04 Oct 2004 | Posts: 2264 | Location: Lost and Found
phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

I wish I had a Hebrew name.
boyd
Eisleyoid

Watch out for the girl who posted just before me. I will quote her now:

"woAH...!!, well...skk vv..ddd...skiddle...dee...dee.. i'm strong to the finish cuz i eat's me spinich, i'm pop-eye the sailor man! "

(but she sings it to the tune of Gilligan's Island)

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
Yehoshua
Sea Post King

breauxman wrote:
Yehoshua wrote:

I dont' know which one he is... but yeah!

Jonathan is the bassist.

ah.. well awesome. I play the bass too!!

Phoenixdown:
well.... maybe your name actually is a hebrew word but you don't even know it because it's predominantly used as a common name from another language..?? just a thought. Wink

Boyd:
Thanks for the advice my man. I love useful advice --especially when it'll prevent me from meeting odd people singing odd songs in the tune of odd melodies. hm... Question

breauxman
Vintage Newbie

Yehoshua wrote:

As do I!

Yehoshua wrote:

Boyd:
especially when it'll prevent me from meeting odd people singing odd songs in the tune of odd melodies. hm... Question

Yeah, watch out for Teddy (EisleyForever)...she (he) is an odd character.
Joined: 04 Oct 2004 | Posts: 2264 | Location: Lost and Found
im_so_scene
Sea Post King

breauxman wrote:
Yehoshua wrote:

As do I!

me, too.

1010010110LOVE101001001
0101100101HATE0101001010
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Yehoshua
Sea Post King

cheers to all the bass players up in this!! Wink
joseph
Lost at Forum

Yehoshua wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
That's a Hebrew name, huh?
I don't know if you read the Bible or not, but that's the real name of "Jesus" right?
That's pretty cool.
Welcome to the Forum.

Yeah I read the bible, and yep it's Hebrew. Yehoshua is very similar to Jesus' real name, but slightly different. Jesus = Yeshua.
I forget exactly, but I think my name means "He will save" and Yeshua means "Yahweh saves". hm....

Jesus is the Greek derivation of Yeshua, with a few European adjustments.

Isn't Yeshua, or Y'shua, just a shortened form of Yahoshua?

Is there a difference between Yehoshua, or Yahoshua?

**the turtle stamp of approval**

www.soulstrum.com
boone
Vintage Newbie

Jesus in Greek was Iesou. In Latin it was Iesous. In German it was Jesus (Yesus). So now, in English, it's Jesus.

My name in Hebrew is Matityahu. The Gift of Yaweh.

And I can't wait for Room Noises.

EDIT: Yeheshua, Yaheshua, Yehoshua, etc., all come from the fact that Hebrew doesn't have written set of vowels. It's written with English characters phonetically, and can be spelled differently easily.

Yehoshua
Sea Post King

boone wrote:
Jesus in Greek was Iesou. In Latin it was Iesous. In German it was Jesus (Yesus). So now, in English, it's Jesus.

EDIT: Yeheshua, Yaheshua, Yehoshua, etc., all come from the fact that Hebrew doesn't have written set of vowels. It's written with English characters phonetically, and can be spelled differently easily.

What he said. Wink Awesome to know there are other people here who know that stuff!

The name "Jesus" is also derived from the name of a god of fertility. The gentiles of the past worshiped pagan gods, and gave the name Jesus to Yeshua because they were more comfortable giving him a name that they could relate with. Some scholars have stated that Jesus also means "Like Zues", therefore concluding that the people who gave Yeshua that name were comparing Him (who is believed to be the only "God") to a false god --Something people find absurd.

It's the same with the word we use to call the Creator: "God". We somehow feel more comfortable calling him "God" because that is the term that we've trained ourselves to recognize as He Who Is: "I am that I am". In Hebrew it is "Yahveh" --and there are more names for Him like Elyon (Most High God) or Elohim (All powerful;existing One etc. etc.)

I think it's kinda sad that the society we live in have came up with words to refer to the Creator of heaven and earth that give a sense of vanity to the subject. No one thinks of the aformentioned Creator when another says "God"; however if one says "The One Who Is", it might spark some interest in their thinking as to what "God" actually is. He simply Is. He is.

(Forgive my effort at trying to put into writting these thoughts of mine, as I have never done so before)

boone
Vintage Newbie

Iesou is simply the Greek transliteration of the Hebrew Yeheshua, or Joshua. John called him Iesou, as Paul. As did everybody in the New Testament, because it was written in Greek. Why? Because Greek was the trade language of the time, like English is today. The Jews spoke Greek, the Romans spoke Greek, and yes, the Greeks spoke Greek. When the Jews weren't speaking Greek, they were speaking Aramaic, not Hebrew, so his name would be different anyway.

We're really splitting hairs here. Saying his name in another language does not make us better in the sight of God. It's by God's grace, through faith. I doubt God hates being called God. We're not calling him one of many gods, but The God. After all, in John chapter one, John calls God Theos, just like the Greek gods would have been called; but he also called him Theon, the God. Thus is the difference.

It is, however, a fantastic study to learn the names of God in the Bible. You'll find in the old testament, God has three base names: Jehovah (or Yaweh, if Jehovah is offputting), Elohim, and Adonai. Other names contain either Jehovah or Elohim: such as Jehovah Jireh or El Elyon. Jehovah is his personal name, like you'd call me Boone. It means "Eternal, self existent one." In the King James, it is translated as LORD. Elohim is his title, like king or pharoah. It means "Strong ones." It is actually plural. And in Hebrew, there has to be three or more of something for it to be plural. Single, dual, plural. It is translated in the King James Bible as God or GOD. Adonai, of course, is God's position over man; it means "lord" or "master," and is translated as such. In fact, people of higher stature were usually called Adonai, or Adon, such as husbands and elders.

Of course, Jesus is called many things also. He is called Immanuel, "God with us." Messiah, "The annointed one;" Christou in the Greek. He is called the Rock and the horn of our salvation.

The names of God are in the hundreds, and I haven't heard of a person being able to count them all. There is a name of his that we don't know yet, so I hardly see the point of a etymological debate on the subject. God has a lot of names, and they're all appropriate for something. It's not for us to decide which one is his favorite.

But another good point to bring up, is that the Jews never called God by his personal name, Yaweh. When the scribes were to write his name -- called the tetragramaton because of its four characters, which in English is represented as the letters YHWH -- they would wash themselves, and their writing utensils, their inkwells, and then finally write his name. They'd only refer to it on one day of the year, where they'd call it "The ineffable name."

thesinisterpenguin
Vintage Newbie

how-D.
Yehoshua
Sea Post King

boone wrote:
We're really splitting hairs here. Saying his name in another language does not make us better in the sight of God. It's by God's grace, through faith. I doubt God hates being called God. We're not calling him one of many gods, but The God. After all, in John chapter one, John calls God Theos, just like the Greek gods would have been called; but he also called him Theon, the God. Thus is the difference.

Oh I completely agree with you. I just like to provoke people's thoughts. But I have never ever rebuked anyone for calling God God or anything else, as long as they're acknowledging Him for who He is. I call Him God and Jesus and other things myself. The heavens nor the universe can't contain Him; I'm positive theres not just one name can contain Him either.

I do still believe that there isn't as much respect/reverence for God's names (even the word "God") as there should be. I've been to Israel and I have plenty Messianic Jewish friends (one is a pastor in Jerusalem) who believe so as well, and they themselves are ones who don't ever say His name but rather they say "Hashem" --which means The Name-- when reading for the bible. That can become religious like, but so can going to church. It's a matter of the heart. It isn't something that we absolutely must do, and therefore isn't anything that is required to be "saved"; it's just som'm to help one out in fearing Him methinks.

He's our Abba --our daddy-- yet He's still on we have to fear.

Last edited by Yehoshua on Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yehoshua
Sea Post King

thesinisterpenguin wrote:
how-D.

hello! Laughing

thesinisterpenguin
Vintage Newbie

Yehoshua wrote:
thesinisterpenguin wrote:
how-D.

hello! Laughing

hell-O.