Laughing City
kung fu
Lost at Forum

I can't help but be completly in love with 'my lovely'

Its got a great intro and is definatly a nice bit of acoustic rock...its pretty mainstream without that trying to sound werid or offensive or whatever...but thats my opionion...

In terms of the Uk market. My Lovely would make a great single, I can see it being really radio friendly. Although i personally think I wasn't prepared would just blow people away, I think that should be the first UK single 9if there ever is one.. Wink )

MY SPACE
Joined: 13 Jan 2004 | Posts: 1236 | Location: England/Canada
Igaveflowerstostacy
Golly, Poster

Plenty of Paper
or
Golly Sandra

"I was on tour in the United States back in '89 and we did a show in Cincinnati. During that show I shouted out, 'It's great to be in Cincinnati!' That was a lie."
-David Bowie
Joined: 17 Mar 2005 | Posts: 649 | Location: Gotham City, Tennessee
cmo
Sea Post King

I'm willing to say:

Mr. Pine, They all surrounded us, Vintage people, and Sunfeet

and MANY MANNY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY..am I spelling this right?MANYMANYMANYMANYMANYMANYMANYMANYMANYMANY

MORE!

But don't change the sound, don't turn rock-punk-"bleep you!" because then I would turn around and throw you out! GOT IT? GOOD!Keep on rocking your style. (The pep-talk there was aimed at the band, not you)
-cmo

I don't know if this is constitutional or well in simpliar words if I can do this.. but I'm gonna try. ok I LOVE EISLEY and... they love me.. hahaha ok don't ask. but yay three cheers for EISLEY and ALL that is HAPPY!
Joined: 08 Mar 2005 | Posts: 220 | Location: Kingsford Michigan
giant_
Laughing Citizen

Over the Mountains (my favoritest song ever) would be sweet but its not on the lp, so umm, I dunno it seems like everyone I let listen to my Room Noises cd gravitates toward Marvelous Things and T-Scope Eyes, of course in my opinion all the songs could easily work as a single but lately I have been really digging "Just Like We Do" and although its acoustic I think it could work as single, tho it would probably work best as a third single, and I would say a more upbeat tune like Plenty Of Paper or Golly Sandra would be a good second single.
brian_nguyen
Sea Post King

Trolly Wood!
Joined: 05 Apr 2005 | Posts: 472 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Lantz
Vintage Newbie

Have they done "Blackened Crown"? If not then they should!

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jdstories
Vintage Newbie

Typically singles will come from their full-length, so I don't really get why some of you are suggesting songs from the early EPs or unreleased songs. There was a thread about this a while back, which got resurrected later, but it has been a while. It seemed like Boyd was really paying attention to it since he posted on it several times and it was quite the heated debate. It even had a poll. I believe Plenty of Paper was winning, but I was advocating "My Lovely" for its sheer accessibility. You might try to look for it. Just flip through the pages looking only at threads with polls and you should find it in no time.

JD

The5thavocado
Vintage Newbie

Maaaaaan. Vintage people would be the greatest single ever. I hope they have that song on the second album.

Like, Head against the sky, over the mountains, Vintage people, Treetops!

Ahh. That second album is going to be so Fresh...so fresh...

I still love Eisley a gamahucheing million time better than farting
Joined: 28 Feb 2005 | Posts: 2060 | Location: Dallas, Texas
starryxnitez
Sea Post King

marvelous things
or
plenty of paper
or
memories
phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

I've actually been thinking about this a lot lately. Let's go through this song-by-song:

Memories: Although it's an awesome song, I don't see the "radio audience" appreciating it much. The verses and bridge are too cinematic, and the chorus is too exuberant. It might go over well with some Coldplay fans, but that's probably it.

Telescope Eyes: could probably be getting some significant airplay if WB were to actually promote it on the radio..... Confused

I Wasn't Prepared: shows off Eisley's songwriting and vocal talents well, and most importantly is easy to identify with emotionally. You can hear this song and apply it to a significant event in your life easily. It's not up-tempo so it would be difficult to find a target audience, but I think it could become huge if handled right -- maybe put in a movie soundtrack somewhere? That's what set off Sixpence's "Kiss Me" song, and countless others.

Golly Sandra: Kind of dangerous. It's not a country song, it's a pop song -- but I know that a LOT of people who like pop absolutely despise country, so the lap steel could instantly turn people off to it. But then again, the "g-g-g-golly" part, Sherri's countermelody, and the whole chorus are just so dang catchy that it might make up for it. Who knows. It also has some of the emotional attachment factor that I Wasn't Prepared has.

Marvelous Things: Strange minor-key melodies, and then a gorgeously harmonized chorus -- I think it's unusual enough to establish Eisley as a unique force in the music scene, but still accessible. And I think that uniqueness is what will be the band's biggest asset. They're willing to break out of the mold, but the end result still sounds good. It might not do much for pop kids, but I think alternative and indie fans would get hooked instantly.

Brightly Wound: well, this is my favorite song on the album, but it doesn't stand a chance on the radio. It's too pretty, and the lyrics are too storybookish for a lot of people to take it seriously on first listen.

Lost at Sea: No beat. Pop music these days is dominated by beat. No beat, no chance.

My Lovely: This would probably be the most logical "safe" second single. The only problem is that it might be a little too safe -- the melody is catchy enough, and it has a nice beat, but if you were to hear it on the radio there wouldn't be a lot to make it stand out in your mind from other girl-fronted alt rock type songs. Eisley's not like those other bands, so they have to be promoted as something unique or they'll be quickly forgotten.

Just Like We Do: again, the beat thing. It's a beautiful song, but generally you can't release an acoustic track to radio unless the band has already majorly proven themselves (Beatles' "Yesterday," Green Day's "Good Riddance," etc).

Plenty of Paper: would get very mixed reactions. It's weird, and it would have trouble catching on -- but it's also one of the catchiest songs I've ever heard, particularly in the chorus. The second verse is also very memorable. The thing is, I can't imagine what stereotypical group would be its main audience; at least not one with enough clout to move the song up the charts. I think it would be a good "last-ditch" single, if Eisley still hasn't caught on by the time they start on their second WB album.

One Day I Slowly Floated Away: I can't see it working as a single, but I can't put my finger on why... Again, who knows. This is another song that I think Coldplay fans would appreciate most.

Trolley Wood: too laid back, not enough lyrical content. It's a great song, but it only really works after you've heard an entire album before it already. If I heard it on the radio for the first time, I'd be like "what the hell is this?"

My opinion then: Marvelous Things for 2nd single, I Wasn't Prepared for 3rd, and Plenty of Paper for 4th if WB really wants to take a chance. I doubt there will be four singles from Room Noises, though, unless something huge happens.
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

giant_ wrote:
I dunno it seems like everyone I let listen to my Room Noises cd gravitates toward Marvelous Things and T-Scope Eyes,

Telescope Eyes does seem to be a favourite...

brian_nguyen wrote:
Trolly Wood!

that's definately a grower more than an instant impact thing. For me it certainly was.

cmo wrote:
I'm willing to say:

Mr. Pine, They all surrounded us, Vintage people, and Sunfeet

i defo. agree with Vintage People. I've been listening to it alot of late.

As for tracks of the album, I would say either Memories, Brightly Wound (as it sounds very different from any other song that's going around on the radio these days, and it's amazing), or Marvelous Things.

going on from phoenixdown's point about Plenty of Paper. This was originally my fave track on the album. However, most other people who i've played it to think it's a little bit cheesy. Boo hiss. That said, it IS catchy, it IS memorable (it was the first track that I was able to sing in my head [you don't ever want to hear me sing outloud....], which i can never usually do for any song, by any band). I think it may make a good "B-side" track, as in, the last track on the single. i remember reading a recent article which says that Bsides make for interesting listening to after the band is fairly old: it shows people what the band could've been.

JD, interesting point. I think it depends on what the single is trying to do. Some singles simply promote the band, whereas most help promote the album.

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
syntheticrain
Sea Post King

Golly Sandra
Joined: 07 May 2005 | Posts: 41 | Location: San Antonio, Texas
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
danieldugdale
Sea Post King

how about songs actually on the cd that would be the next single?? Brightly wound would be awesome.....but I dont think it would make a good single
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

plenty of paper would be cool or Mr Pine (which i still think is one of their best) but like others have said it probably should come from Room Noises.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

chasd00 wrote:
plenty of paper would be cool or Mr Pine (which i still think is one of their best) but like others have said it probably should come from Room Noises.

I'd have to agree with that.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere