30%
 30%  [ 17 ]
Eisley... duh.
21%
 21%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 56

phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

This is probably one of those things that can't be effectively argued either way, but I thought it would be interesting to find out:

In your opinion (and disregarding the fact that the Beatles have had twice as long to influence modern music -- going by sheer musical quality), who is the greatest (or at least greater) band of all time?

Radiohead, or the Beatles?

I know many here are of the opinion that they both are, but you can only choose one. Twisted Evil
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

radiobeatle Very Happy
Sea Post King

Definitely not fair, but if it were'nt for the beatles then radiohead might not be doing what they are. The beatles are the fathers of experimental music, their influence cannot be compared to any other band ever.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

In my opinion, Radiohead is better. Yes, the Beatles obviously influenced them in almost every conceivable way. Does that matter? Not to me. Radiohead's better.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

i love the beatles, and radiohead, but i get tired of the beatles, just like i do with any older classic band. i'm more of a modern music fan (90s on). radiohead is constantly in my music rotation.

for me, it's radiohead.
amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

i picked the beatles because they made good music that for the most part could appeal to everyone ( i know there are exceptions to that, so don't yell at me)
i do think that radiohead is very creative, but sometimes so experimental that they won't appeal to everyone, whereas pretty much everyone likes at least one Beatles song at the very least.
i also think that the beatles were making music in an era where they didn't have great technology at their fingertips, and yet they produced some of the coolest sounding stuff ever. so... the beatles. but that's just me.

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
loveisachemical
Vintage Newbie

to me, the beatles are way better than radiohead.
like not even on the same level.
MoreOfTheSame
Vintage Newbie

e-minor wrote:
The beatles are the fathers of experimental music, their influence cannot be compared to any other band ever.

*buzzer*

Much of the Beatles experimentation had previously been done by musique concrete artists by people like Karlheinz Stockhausen, Iannis Xenakis, and Todd Dockstader in the 1950's and early 1960's. While they were one of the first in the pop/rock arena to employ such techniques, they certainly didn't develop them. You could argue that they were one of the first experimental pop groups though.

In a similar vein, most of Radiohead's electronic wanderings can be traced back to the output of Warp Records in the 1990's, and in particular groups like Boards Of Canada, Aphex Twin, and Autechre. (It could also be argued that Radiohead took a few cues from post rock bands like Bark Psychosis and Disco Inferno, but I think that would be a bit of a stretch.)

My vote goes to The Beatles because they were the first to incorporate experimental elements into pop music, and also that their music still sounds unique even today.

Flickr
Transvaal IV - Myspace : Virb
Deep Thoughts About Shallow Subjects
Joined: 02 Sep 2003 | Posts: 2455 | Location: Grapevine, TX
Clark
Vintage Newbie

How dare you ask me to choose between them. I think it's physically impossible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kaitlinvictories
Sea Post King

As much as I love The Beatles, I think Radiohead has had a more profound effect on my life, musically. Even though the Beatles will always be relevant to the times, as of right now my answer is Radiohead, but who knows with those two it could go back and forth for the rest of my life.

trend of the century

Joined: 10 Jul 2005 | Posts: 197 | Location: the great beyond, md
Your*My*Astral*Boy
Golly, Poster

Beatle Mania
phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

I couldn't decide until I asked myself, which do I listen to more: OK Computer or Sgt. Pepper? So I went with Radiohead.
bts
Golly, Poster

For me it was an easy choice, but i've never given radiohead a whole lot of listening. I have copies of all of their albums except pablo honey, but I guess since I haven't bought any except for the bends I haven't felt compelled to listen a whole lot to any of them. The beatles on the other hand I just recently realized their greatness. I had a copy of revolver but didn't really listen to it for the same reasons as radiohead. Then I bought sgt p's on the same day as the election and I was a little iffy about it. But then I saw abbey road at the library and decided I would try to see something in the beatles and that was the album that did it. It's absolutely amazing. Now i'm a big fan of revolver as well. Those albums are pretty equal, actually. Sgt pepper's is really not my favorite, though the second half of the album is really good.

You know what? I think i'll just break it down scientifically.
My favorite albums by the 2 bands in order of best to worst (that i've heard)
1. Abbey Road
2. Revolver
3. Ok Computer
4. The White Album
5. The Bends
6. Sgt. Pepper's
7. Let it Be
8. Kid A

Note: I still haven't heard some key beatles albums like rubber soul. I haven't given hail to the theif more than one listen so I didn't put those.

Also note this order most probably will change in time. My opinions are never final. But for now, hands down I say the beatles are better, not for their influence, but the fact that they made some of the best music ever.

kwiz4fymljt
Sea Post King

The Beatles are a great band... but their music is simple. I like a more complex type of music so Radiohead is the better band to me... plus person for person and instrument for instrument Radiohead is more talented... except for George Harrison maybe... but Lennon sucked at guitar, McCartney sucked at bass and Ringo was the worst drummer ever. Peace.
phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

kwiz4fymljt wrote:
McCartney sucked at bass

That's the only part of what you said that I'll actively disagree with.