Laughing City
mmcev
Sea Post King

Just wanted to say that I (and everyone I came with) thought your show was friggin amazing, despite being rushed b/c of the stupid fire code crap. Sorry about the guitar probs Chauntelle, however you seemed recover pretty darn well. Twas nice to meet you in the coffee shop before the show. Anyway, you guys put on an awesome show, as always. Please come back soon!

P.S.: Can't wait for your next album!
holland, 2005
Sea Post King

I agree... The show was amazing, despite any problems, such as the short set-list. Brighten and Simon Dawes we're incredible, as I assumed they would be, and Eisley was just amazing. "Invasion" rocks! Anyways, I just got back home from 'ole Mississippi and it's 4:07 AM so I'm going to sleep. I'll update about it with pictures and possibly videos within a week's time. Rolling Eyes

PS: All of the bands we're incredibly nice. Being the second person in line and having Sherri, Stacy, and Christie walking around the block noticing us and Sherri being like "You guys are already here?! That's crazy, it's freezing! Go home!" was hilarious, but I'm definitely glad I didn't "go home" because I would not have missed any of this experience for anything. Smile
Simonthegreat
Lost at Forum

You guys should put your descriptions in the tour contest thing and win a prise! Very Happy
Bluesteel7512
Sea Post King

What a great show! I was so happy that the show sold out. I hated that it was rushed and possibly didn't get to see all the show. I meet Chauntelle for the first time and had thought of things to ask them when I would meet them. Too bad I forgot everything when I meet her. lol But I did get my picture with her. Simon Dawes and Brighten was really good. I already can't wait till the next show. Very Happy
Joined: 12 Oct 2005 | Posts: 113 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Igaveflowerstostacy
Golly, Poster

good show. simon dawes surprisingly kicked some serious butt.
eisley played like five new songs or something like that.
the fire marshall thing was retarded.
but I got to hug boyd and talk to him for like 30 minutes.
all the bands were really awesome, even though brighten isn't my style, they were still pretty good.

"I was on tour in the United States back in '89 and we did a show in Cincinnati. During that show I shouted out, 'It's great to be in Cincinnati!' That was a lie."
-David Bowie
Joined: 17 Mar 2005 | Posts: 649 | Location: Gotham City, Tennessee
k1001001
Sea Post King

Hey guys. First time poster here. Last night was my second time seeing Eisley. The first was a long time ago when they were on tour with Brand New (I think it was about 3 years ago). It was interesting to see the differences between then and now.

The opening bands were pretty good. Brighten was solid and polished. Simon Dawes was pretty raw but put on a very entertaining show. Their cover of "Burning Down The House" was pretty cool. I talked to their lead guitarist outside after I was kicked out and he was a pretty nice guy. As soon as Eisley came out though, it seemed like to me that Stacy did not want to play at all. This became more apparent in the rest of the band's faces as the show went on, especially when their dad popped up from out of nowhere (did that freak anyone else out?) and told them that they had to stop playing at 10. Nonetheless, they put on a clean show.

The whole "fire code" thing seems to me like a bunch of bullcrap straight from the cow's butt. The Exit/In has been around for 35 years (since 1971) and has featured some of the biggest acts in music since then, such as Johnny Cash, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Willie Nelson, etc. These bands most definitely would have sold more tickets than the "115-person limit" that the club supposedly has, and I think in the 35 years they've been open, the fire marshalls would've realized that by now. Judging by the band's emotions on stage, the fact that they had to start 20 mins later than scheduled, and the complete ridiculous-ness (if that's a word) of the "fire code" situation, I think there was something else going on besides a fire code violation.

Anyways, I wish someone would have just told the truth about what was going on. Obviously, if it was something like a bomb threat and they made up a fire code story just to keep people calm, then they wouldn't have let people stay in the building to finish the set or to buy merch, so it wasn't anything that serious. Maybe I'm just paranoid and it really was a fire code violation, but that story just doesn't add up in my head.

Not only was the show cut short, but the staff at the Exit/In were very rude. The big bald muscly dude was yelling repeatedly at everyone to get out of the building when we were OBVIOUSLY waiting to get out of the front door. I yelled back at him once to just "hang on a minute", and then he proceeded to push me and said "I'll help you to the door." I was then thrown out of the club. Hilarious. I'm emailing the Exit/In for a full refund. Due to their negligence, the show that I paid my money to was cut short, and their staff were very belligerent and rude. I'm not going there ever again.

The Exit/In will most likely be hearing some stink from Eisley pretty soon as well. Not only was their set cut short, but due to the whole "fire code" situation, everyone was rushed out of the building which most likely caused a huge cut in their merchandise sales. If you know anything about the live entertainment industry, you know that merch sales are the biggest money maker next to ticket sales (which is the reason why at some shows, merch is excessively overpriced). Eisley could have easily made more than $1000 last night on merch sales alone, and they probably did not make near how much they could have due to the "fire code" situation.

Anyways, good show, bad club. I hope people who were seeing them for the first time don't let this ruin Eisley's reputation because this seemed to be completely out of their control.
holland, 2005
Sea Post King

k1001001 wrote:
Hey guys. First time poster here. Last night was my second time seeing Eisley. The first was a long time ago when they were on tour with Brand New (I think it was about 3 years ago). It was interesting to see the differences between then and now.

The opening bands were pretty good. Brighten was solid and polished. Simon Dawes was pretty raw but put on a very entertaining show. Their cover of "Burning Down The House" was pretty cool. I talked to their lead guitarist outside after I was kicked out and he was a pretty nice guy. As soon as Eisley came out though, it seemed like to me that Stacy did not want to play at all. This became more apparent in the rest of the band's faces as the show went on, especially when their dad popped up from out of nowhere (did that freak anyone else out?) and told them that they had to stop playing at 10. Nonetheless, they put on a clean show.

The whole "fire code" thing seems to me like a bunch of bullcrap straight from the cow's butt. The Exit/In has been around for 35 years (since 1971) and has featured some of the biggest acts in music since then, such as Johnny Cash, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Willie Nelson, etc. These bands most definitely would have sold more tickets than the "115-person limit" that the club supposedly has, and I think in the 35 years they've been open, the fire marshalls would've realized that by now. Judging by the band's emotions on stage, the fact that they had to start 20 mins later than scheduled, and the complete ridiculous-ness (if that's a word) of the "fire code" situation, I think there was something else going on besides a fire code violation.

Anyways, I wish someone would have just told the truth about what was going on. Obviously, if it was something like a bomb threat and they made up a fire code story just to keep people calm, then they wouldn't have let people stay in the building to finish the set or to buy merch, so it wasn't anything that serious. Maybe I'm just paranoid and it really was a fire code violation, but that story just doesn't add up in my head.

Not only was the show cut short, but the staff at the Exit/In were very rude. The big bald muscly dude was yelling repeatedly at everyone to get out of the building when we were OBVIOUSLY waiting to get out of the front door. I yelled back at him once to just "hang on a minute", and then he proceeded to push me and said "I'll help you to the door." I was then thrown out of the club. Hilarious. I'm emailing the Exit/In for a full refund. Due to their negligence, the show that I paid my money to was cut short, and their staff were very belligerent and rude. I'm not going there ever again.

The Exit/In will most likely be hearing some stink from Eisley pretty soon as well. Not only was their set cut short, but due to the whole "fire code" situation, everyone was rushed out of the building which most likely caused a huge cut in their merchandise sales. If you know anything about the live entertainment industry, you know that merch sales are the biggest money maker next to ticket sales (which is the reason why at some shows, merch is excessively overpriced). Eisley could have easily made more than $1000 last night on merch sales alone, and they probably did not make near how much they could have due to the "fire code" situation.

Anyways, good show, bad club. I hope people who were seeing them for the first time don't let this ruin Eisley's reputation because this seemed to be completely out of their control.

I agree about the merch situation. The Exit/In staff was being incredibly rude. I'm just glad the band stuck around to talk to fans, that was sweet, and the set was only cut by 4 songs. I don't think there was another "situation" going on; I'm pretty sure it was just the fire code. I talked to Boyd and he was so worried, not "bomb threat" worried, but "fans are gong to be disappointed" worried. Eisley was SO nice after the show, so I don't see where you get that they had angry "faces" or whatever it is you said. They seemed pretty happy on stage, and they seemed to enjoy the Nashville vibe. I'm mad at the venue for selling 450 tickets if they knew they couldn't hold that many. For that, the Exit/In is not on my "good" list for Nashville. And does anyone agree that the PA wasn't amazing?
em-tucky
Sea Post King

basically, for the show last night, the capacity at the exit/in was supposed to be 250. they had 450+ in there so now they have to go to court. Basically, in Nashville, when places violate their capacity codes they automatically get their capacity cut by 1/2. Therefore, for remaining shows at the exit/in their capacity can only be around 115. That is until the matter is resolved in court.

I was there as a guest of my friend that does work for the venue and we were up in the balcony in the back of the venue. We had a great view of the whole place and although it was packed, there was still adequate room for everyone to move around.

Like I said, I had a great view. I saw the fire marshall people come in....walk through the venue to the "backstage" area. A few mins later I saw the guy in charge at Exit/In go to the sound booth and speak with Boyd. The next song Boyd made his way up to the stage and spoke with the band through their in-ear monitors (?) Thats when Sherri announced that they had to cut songs from their set, because everyone had to be out by 10 (30 mins). She didn't really explain it well and seemed to imply that it had something to do with the "all-ages" part of the show. But I assume thats because details were scarce.

As far as the staff's attitude towards the crowd. I didn't witness any of that, but I usually do what I'm told and when I'm told to exit a building because of a fire code violation I do. So I was out of there within 5 mins of Eisley leaving the stage. I'm sure that they were stressed out due to the severity of what was happening to their place of employment. Taking a cut that big in your capacity (down to 115) sparks stress and fear of your job security. If you would take a step outside of your own shoes and look at the position they were in, it was their JOB to get you out of the venue as fast as possible. It didn't help that people were standing right outside the door blocking it for the people (like me) that wanted to leave and move on with their evening. Nor, did it make their jobs any easier when you are asked to leave and you tell them "just hold on a second". Yes, it wasn't fair to Eisley that they had to cut their set & possibly lose merch sales, but that is not up for you or I to worry about. Those issues are between the band and the venue (promoter). And by not leaving the building as quickly as possible or giving the venue staff lip about it does not help the situation.

Anyways, I enjoyed the show. It was my up-teenth time seeing the band and it was one of the better performances I've seen. And I was happy to hear a couple new songs. Despite how the evening ended, I'm not letting that spoil my memories of the night
k1001001
Sea Post King

holland, 2005 wrote:
I agree about the merch situation. The Exit/In staff was being incredibly rude. I'm just glad the band stuck around to talk to fans, that was sweet, and the set was only cut by 4 songs. I don't think there was another "situation" going on; I'm pretty sure it was just the fire code. I talked to Boyd and he was so worried, not "bomb threat" worried, but "fans are gong to be disappointed" worried. Eisley was SO nice after the show, so I don't see where you get that they had angry "faces" or whatever it is you said. They seemed pretty happy on stage, and they seemed to enjoy the Nashville vibe. I'm mad at the venue for selling 450 tickets if they knew they couldn't hold that many. For that, the Exit/In is not on my "good" list for Nashville. And does anyone agree that the PA wasn't amazing?

Yeah I didn't think there was a bomb threat or anything but I was just trying to make a point that I think both the police and the staff overreacted.

I'm happy to hear that the band stuck around though. I left after I met my friends standing outside. That's one cool thing about club shows is how the band talks to the fans outside. I remember some of my friends were talking with Eisley when we saw them at Bogart's in Cincinnatti three years ago and I was talking with Simon Dawes's guitarist. For the most part, I think people understood that it wasn't the band's fault but there was still some disappointment.

I wrote a nasty letter to the Exit/In and I demanded my money back. I told them that not only was the show cut off early due to their negligence to follow the laws imposed on them, but their staff was extremely belligerent and rude, and I would not be returning. I still don't see how after all these years with so many big acts there, the fire marshalls haven't found out about this. Maybe the Exit/In has been penalized by the fire marshalls before but continues to oversell the venue to make more money. Whatever, it's their fault and I shouldn't have to pay for it.

I definitely agree that their PA wasn't that great. I was standing right next to the stage which isn't exactly the sweet spot for the speakers, but it still didn't sound that great. Brighten had no bass and the vocals were just a little bit low. Simon Dawes sounded like butt to begin with but got a little better as the sound guys fine-tuned the mixer. I still had a hard time understanding the singer though. Stacy's mic was barely even on it seemed like, and Chauntelle's mic wasn't even on when she wanted to talk that one time. I know normally it wouldn't be on to prevent feedback because she wasn't using it, but it's not that hard to turn it up when she actually wanted to use it. I thought it was weird that they suspended the speakers in such a small club. I think they could've gotten away with a speaker array instead. Their mixer looked pretty old too. Maybe they've been paying too much in fire code violations and can't afford a good PA.

In response to em-tucky:
I imagine a previous fire code violation had already reduced their legal capacity. I was up front and quite comfortable. Most shows I go to, I'm crammed like a sardine in a wavering sea of people. This was definitely not the case last night.

I would've been out of the venue within 5 minutes as well. Instead the bouncer reduced that to about 2. Giving him lip did not help the situation I know, but you don't talk to your customers that way. If you want to talk about job security, being rude to the people who ultimately write your paycheck is one way to reduce job security. They should've gotten on stage and used a microphone and handled the situation in a calm, professional manner. Instead, we were being herded out like animals and even being repeatedly badgered on the way out. The violation had already happened, so I don't see what the big rush was to get everyone out of the building NOW.
mermaidentwinedshrubbery
Sea Post King

Super show! The fans were super nice, too. Thanks so much to those of you towards the front of the line who saved my spot while I went to eat and pick up my friends. You guys were the best.

And to those of you who came from MS, I hope your drive went well on the way home. I still have to drive back to Florida tomorrow.

Boyd, thanks for everything. It was a pleasure to talk to you.
Joined: 10 Jun 2005 | Posts: 192 | Location: Castle Rock, CO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LissaKay
Sea Post King

[quote="k1001001"]
holland, 2005 wrote:
The violation had already happened, so I don't see what the big rush was to get everyone out of the building NOW.

I was outside from the moment the police and fire marshals arrived until it was all over. I heard and saw a lot of things that ya'll didn't. Yes, it might have been handled a bit more delicately ... but Jason, the manager, was being threatened by the police. They were being total a-holes to him even though he was trying to be as cooperative as possible.

They were just about to shut the whole thing down right then, one song into the show. Only by telling the cops that NO ONE else would be allowed in, even ticket holders and pass-outs, and ending the show by 10:00 was he able to let it go on as long as it did. He was told very plainly, in no uncertain terms, that he had to have everyone out by 10:15 and not one second later, or he would be further fined, possibly arrested, possibly shut down for good. So ... what would you have done?

FYI ... the problem was, the capacity rating for the place WITHOUT any tables and chairs is 250. Jason thought it was 450, but due to a recent ordinance change, that was reduced. The alcoholic beverage commission requires there be a certain number of tables and chairs in order to hold an alcohol or beer permit, whether or not those beverages are being served at the time. With tables and chairs, the legal capacity of the venue is then reduced to 116. I may be off on the actual numbers but that is the gist of it, and as it was explained to Jason by the fire marshal. I was standing about two feet away from them at the time.

I also heard some things the cops and fire marshall said when Jason wasn't around ... but that needs to go directly to him.

It was a real ugly situation ...
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I love authorities ...

Not.

(No disrespect to the non-jerks who put their lives on the line for our safety and proection.)

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
holland, 2005
Sea Post King

mermaidentwinedshrubbery wrote:
Super show! The fans were super nice, too. Thanks so much to those of you towards the front of the line who saved my spot while I went to eat and pick up my friends. You guys were the best.

And to those of you who came from MS, I hope your drive went well on the way home. I still have to drive back to Florida tomorrow.

Boyd, thanks for everything. It was a pleasure to talk to you.

Hey man! Yeah, us Mississippi folks made it back safe. Glad to see you did, too. Hoorah for long rides home. Well, now us forum nerds know who each other are on the forum and real life. Woo. And yeah, we (the guys in front of us, my sister, and myself) were worried about you getting back in. We tried to "take care" of the first few people in line, as most concert-goers tend to do with their fellow concert-goers that were dedicated enough to make it first in line, and we we're like "Hey, where's blue shirt guy?!"

--Luvbeat.

mermaidentwinedshrubbery
Sea Post King

[quote="holland, 2005"]
mermaidentwinedshrubbery wrote:

Hey man! Yeah, us Mississippi folks made it back safe. Glad to see you did, too. Hoorah for long rides home. Well, now us forum nerds know who each other are on the forum and real life. Woo. And yeah, we (the guys in front of us, my sister, and myself) were worried about you getting back in. We tried to "take care" of the first few people in line, as most concert-goers tend to do with their fellow concert-goers that were dedicated enough to make it first in line, and we we're like "Hey, where's blue shirt guy?!"

It was super nice of you guys. I was rushing my friends so badly. And it was great to meet you. Maybe we can get together again if there is another show in the area, since apparently we don't mind driving for Eisley. Smile
Joined: 10 Jun 2005 | Posts: 192 | Location: Castle Rock, CO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lonelynation3
Vintage Newbie

sounded like such a hoot Very Happy Mr. Green Love