Laughing City
treetops12
Vintage Newbie

So I know they were all home-schooled, but I'm not really sure how that works. Did Boyd and Kim make up assignments for them or did a school give them weekly work? And if the school gave them work, did any of the kids participate in a graduation ceremony?

I'm home-schooled, today is my school's graduation and I'm not walking and I was just curious if the DuPree's did or not.

This might be a question only Kim or Boyd can answer... I don't know.

starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

treetops12 wrote:

This might be a question only Kim or Boyd can answer... I don't know.

ud be surprised.....

homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

If you're homeschooled yourself how are you not aware what you just asked?(not including the graduation part)
Vintage Newbie

homesick_alien wrote:
If you're homeschooled yourself how are you not aware what you just asked?(not including the graduation part)

almost every homeschooled person/family does it differently. there's a lot of freedom there.

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
boone
Vintage Newbie

I think they were technically schooled by correspondence if I remember correctly.
whatchamacallme
Sea Post King

amidthestars wrote:
homesick_alien wrote:

almost every homeschooled person/family does it differently. there's a lot of freedom there.

Yep.

It also depends on the state a little bit. Because of differing regulations regarding private schools, etc.

amestheamazing
Sea Post King

amidthestars wrote:
homesick_alien wrote:

exactly. many assume there's a big homeschool formula that everyone follows, but in reality no two people have the same experience.

treetops12
Vintage Newbie

homesick_alien wrote:

Well technically... I'm on what's called "Independent Study" where I meet with a teacher once a week and he gives me a week's worth of homework and some tests and then I take that home and come back the following week. So it's a little different.

homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

Thats kind of interesting

I, personally am so glad I got to experience the good and bad of school, meeting friends and getting involved in stuff. I would of hated being homeschooled.

Golly, Poster

Its an incredibly deep and interesting topic, is homeschooling.

I personally think its beneficial, although most parents do not know alot about certain aspects you get taught in school due to the variety of subjects. They also do not have the resources. Although it does broaden the childs mind for they have more freedom!

DA Gallery
Myspace
If Eisley are ever in the UK, wanting some photos done =) do ask!
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

why is it beneficial? You get the same education (or better) through schooling plus the social skills and people interaction needed later in life
Sea Post King

It's not usually the parents that do the 'teaching'. I've never come across a homeschooler who's parents sat them down and taught them. For me, at least, I can't imagine my parents giving me grades. Confused especially today, there are so many resources that you can use to study on your own- a skill that's useful if one goes to college.

Also, I think it's a little sad that some can't imagine getting involved in anything without a school's help. Getting connected on your own is very easy.

wersindwir
Sea Post King

Me and my 4 siblings were all homeschooled our whole lifes. And I mean completely homeschooled...my mom sat us down and taught us. Or in my case, since I'm the youngest, my oldest sister did some of the teaching. About 6 years ago, we got involved in a one day a week type of school.
I believe it is incredibly beneficial, personally. I got to graduate when I was 16 and so hopefully I'll have my Associates Degree by the time I'm 18. To me it just seems like so much time is wasted when you sit at school for so many hours every day of the week.
...sorry if that went a little off topic

Joined: 06 Apr 2006 | Posts: 87 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Deviluck
Golly, Poster

Beneficial in the way that dreams and aspirations can maybe be more atoned to and developed rather than stay at a school that again offers too much variety and often just glances over subjects rather than delves deeply into interests!
DA Gallery
Myspace
If Eisley are ever in the UK, wanting some photos done =) do ask!
boone
Vintage Newbie

homesick_alien wrote:
why is it beneficial? You get the same education (or better) through schooling plus the social skills and people interaction needed later in life

You didn't go to American public school...