Laughing City
madcat2089
Sea Post King

I'm new to laughing city (but I've been a huge fan for quite some time and have found Eisley has a completely extreme and different effect on me than other music) so I apologize if this extremely cheesey question gets asked alot....

...so I'm 17 going on 18 here shortly and I've been wondering how you guys feel about accomplishing so much and traveling the world at such a young age already because for me and I'm sure some other people here (but not everyone) my whole life has been getting through school to *adult voice* "prepare for my future" and "look ahead." I don't feel like I've accomplished anything of large size yet I see people like you who are so gifted and have such a priceless life and career already. I know I'm just an impatient teenager but it's not like I haven't tried to accomplish anything, because lately this is all I can think about. I constantly daydream about what I could do (that fits me) that would actually effect other people, and that would have some meaning. For me, I want to make films (so i've made a few video things and toy around and learn what I can). Not like Hollywood crud but movies that actually make people think and see the world differently. But thats dreaming. Dreaming is fun until you have the burning desire to be doing. I guess basically all I'm asking is: What is like on your side of the fence having the life you have? What is it like to be doing while so many are just dreaming?

p.s. sorry for the uber cheesiness.
boyd
Eisleyoid

Hey. welcome. Not sure if they'll be on here. Possible. Sometimes they lurk. Smart questions. It got me thinking; I hope nobody ever feels like their lives are less important gauged against an ordinary group of siblings that tinkered around with instruments and songs from an early age. It would be a sad if eisley's little success story made anyone feel less important, less optimistic about their own lives... their unknown goals... discouraged about the likelihood of attaining something that feels bigger... more important than it really is. I know it seems radically extraordinary... but they wouldn't agree. It's just my opinion, but... try not to be too pressured by the need to succeed. Success lies in the decisions you make every day... Just do your best and learn to love the people in your life. That's success.

This has been deep thoughts by an unknown writer.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
Odan
Laughing Citizen

Welcome to the forum! ^^
I've had thoughts like those as well...

But it's important to not get discouraged by them.
I like what Boyd said:
boyd wrote:
It's just my opinion, but... try not to be too pressured by the need to succeed. Success lies in the decisions you make every day... Just do your best and learn to love the people in your life. That's success.

This has been deep thoughts by an unknown writer.

^____^

parrishdup
Sea Post King

I totally agree with Boyd. I would say make sure you are not just measuring your life by the things you feel you have/haven't accomplished. I am not trying to speak for Garron but although he has only been in the band for about a year and a half, his life was very full before Eisley. Doing the things that he loved, playing guitar, building relationships, being a part of youth leadership. He would not say that he is any more accomplished (to use your word) than you are.

It sounds like you have wonderful goals and dreams, have fun with life and pursue those dreams. Invest in others, know that people are really what it is all about. I hope that is what I am teaching Garron as well as the rest of my kids.

I appreciate your thoughts and questions, welcome to Laughing City.

smilesonmonday
Sea Post King

Hey!! Welcome!!!!!

Umm... my advice to you is you should ask Jesus what to do. Regardless of what He has done to you in the past (good or bad) you should ask Him anyway. Besides, He is the one who created you, and knows you the best right?

amestheamazing
Sea Post King

I think almost everyone feels like they've wasted time in thier lives at some point or another. I do. On the other hand, if you feel inspired by thier work, that's a good thing!
LeslieAnnLevine
Lost at Forum

I can relate. I think we all have limitations, and maybe they sometimes need to be accepted at some point, but you're young, don't stop chasing your dreams yet. I think it's most important to rearrange your views on what accomplishments are. I think a lot of us desire/desired to be something big and extraordinary, but even impacting one life positively is a great accomplishment. I would just advise you to keep doing what you love, and keep your priorities straight, and if it's in your cards, it will work out for you. I get caught up with the whole age thing, sometimes, as well. But rather than worrying about "Oh, i'm almost 18, and i'm not directing the next big indie yet, that's means i'm not ever gonna be able to, etc", just keep honing your craft and realize an accomplishment is still an accomplishment, no matter if you're 12, or 50, or if it touched 1 person, or 1000. I guess basically what I'm trying to say is just go after those dreams, if it's what you really want. and if one door closes, another will open.
Joined: 19 Apr 2004 | Posts: 1219 | Location: here, there, everywhere.
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

i think acclompishment lies in doing the everyday things.

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
negatiivethree
Golly, Poster

Sometimes people will talk about their dreams as a child and how they never went anywhere. They throw it on everybody else and expect our lives are no different than theirs. Don't be discouraged. Remember what Stacy said:
Quote:
Remember kids, your success depends
on how much you put into it.
Fire away!

Smile go for it

madcat2089
Sea Post King

hey sorry I haven't had the chance to reply, I've been visiting Biola University in LA the past 4 days I just got home but I've been thinking about all of this mucho.

I think you guys had the best responses ever because after thinking for hours about it those are some of the conclusions I came to as well. It really is stupid to compare myself to them because everybody leads a different life. I want to make it clear that Eisley doesn't make me feel less important or anything, I have just never found so much consistent music that is so moving.

Boyd--You're right, I shouldn't have the need to succeed, I think it's probably just in my young'in blood to be competitive and chase dreams but sometimes the most I can do is just what you said, doing my best and learning to love (which can be a huge feat in itself).

Smilesonmonday--[I promise I'm not trying to preach here] bingo, i've been praying wayyyyy more lately and I've been having a lot more success in trusting where my life is going so I highly recommend just...idk (I hate the seperation religions create so I'll try to put it as generic as possible)-- It's just good for anyone to become spiritual between yourself and God no matter what the specifics are or anything, just to have that in your life as a top priority can help things out so much, or at least it's been directing me lately.

ParrishDup--Yeah, you're right, I think I (and other people) get so caught up in trying to be somebody else that it throws us off the right course for our life and thank you

Odan-- thank you

LeslieannLevine-- I don't think I'll ever stop chasing my dreams, actually I know i wont. and you're right, accomplishments are only in how you see them, no one has to be "big time" to be accomplished if that makes sense. And the more I think about it, the less "big" I really want to be (not as in not "big" successful but not "big" as popular? i guess I'm just saying it's not a goal to be famous for me). It's cool for Eisley, but it's not my thing and I'm glad I can come to that conclusion.

Mad Sam--yes.

NegativeThree-- its hilarious because i've had that quote stuck in my head for the past week and when I'm looking at a future school I can really see that quote come to life, its fantastic.

in conclusion, thank you so much for all the generous replies and I hope this hasn't turned out to be a "therapy forum" just for me. I mean like, I hope nobody gets the idea I'm trying to complain about some minor problem I have and make it a big deal because honestly I have an amazing life and I've been so blessed with all the opportunities I've had and all the ones I will have. I just hope everyone can get something out of this thread.

((oh and if you're looking at colleges like me, I HIGHLY recommend you take a look at Biola cus I just got back from having the greatest time ever. High school is gonna be such a drag tomorrow, ha.))
breathless
Sea Post King

That's something I struggle with sometimes as well....I'm glad you're feeling better about it! These posts were very helpful to read.

p.s. I have a few friends at Biola and they love it!!

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I saw Eisley play at Biola University ... It was a good night.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
madcat2089
Sea Post King

ah man id die to see them there. i actually havent seen them...ever ):
they've come to nebraska once since ive been into them for the past year and a half and i got a fever (like pretty high) the day of the concert and was out of school for a week after. it sucked so bad. i had bought the tickets 3 or 4 months in advance too. oh well, hopefully if i get to biola i'll get to see em since CA is a lot more popular of a spot that friggin nebraska.

im determined to see them at least 14 times before i die. too bad i got into them wayyyy too late. i would loved to been around during MossEisley--but hey, glad to see somebody else got something out of the post
oliez
Vintage Newbie

madcat2089 wrote:

im determined to see them at least 14 times before i die.

14...why 14?

good number though.
GlamxIndie
Sea Post King

I can easily relate to you. Ever since I was five years old i've wanted to be in a band or be a solo artist, and i've been singing since I could talk. Since then, i've been very determined to get somewhere. Eisley is truly inspiring to me musically and vocally. I'm only fifteen years old, but I really do feel like I could possibly get somewhere, but this is obviously going to take some time. I'm in the same situation with being tired of dreaming, and wanting to start doing something, but I have no idea where to start.

And everyone's posts in this topic really have gotten me to think. I've told myself I should never stop dreaming, because without dreams, would anyone get anywhere? I honestly don't think so.

Never loose faith in yourself, that goes for everyone who has the same feelings and even people who don't, because you have a place in this world, and that place will be found if it hasn't.

Trust me.

<3

- Ashley

"Sherri immediately responds with aggressive humor and slams her in the face with her Texas fist." - Weston DuPree
"Thank you mister Television. " - Sherri DuPree