Laughing City

What do you think of the Mars Volta?
Brilliant. What you explained.
42%
 42%  [ 21 ]
Awful. I just don't get it.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
I can appreciate it, but it's not what I'm into.
30%
 30%  [ 15 ]
Haven't listened to them enough to have an opinion.
22%
 22%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 49

hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

Okay so I dunno how many of you know about my creepy Mars Volta love/appreciation/obsession... whatever it is. But, I'd really love to hear other opinions on them. Because I JUST DON'T GET HOW YOU CAN DISLIKE THIS BAND!

Haha, I'm not telling anyone they HAVE to like it, but I hear so many people saying, "I don't like them"... and I just want an explaination, why? Why? WHY?

Here is my explaination FOR liking them, in case any of you are on the opposite end:

I feel like the Mars Volta is doing better than anyone else in the modern music scene, to bring back progressive rock, and I feel like they're rocking it HARDCORE. They're adding new things, and trying new things that other bands haven't. They're bringing back what bands like King Crimson, Yes and Pink Floyd left behind, and they're doing it tastefully and with musical skill I only wish I could posess. Their lyrics and albums tell stories, and they're more than just lyrics, they're like stories. They aren't tacky, they're tasteful and even without the music, they're worth reading and trying to figure out. They combine things like jazz and latin with above mentioned progressive rock. As musicians, they all handle their instruments like I wish I could. It's structured noise, but it's musical. And while some may disagree that it's musical, I think it needs more than one listen. It's some of the most thought provoking, talent-filled, worth while music, that I believe, has been created in YEARS. This is the kind of band I want to look back on and say, "Yeah, that's what my generation was about". It's the kind of music that ignites musical inspiration to me, and keeps me trying to make myself better so I can continue what eventually, the Mars Volta will leave behind.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

I like the Mars Volta too. But I think the reason others don't like them is because they think they come off pretentious.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
norad
Vintage Newbie

some people just cant handle that voice.
amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

it's the voice. i can't stand the voice... well, and the style. i can appreciate their obvious musical skill, but i like more melodic things.
they're just not the sort of band that strikes my fancy.
it doesn't help that they strike me as kind of pretentious, too.
but, a lot of things that people hail as technically great and brilliant aren't very appealing to me.
i mean, i didn't really like Kid A all that much. it's like, sure, that's wonderful, look what you can do, but i don't want to listen to it. if that makes sense.

i'm a philistine... maybe.

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
Last edited by amidthestars on Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

I think they're ace.

The strangest thing was when I was listening to them on the way to school. The assembly that morning featured a P3 class some kids songs composed by the genius teacher. Somewhat different types of music...

I really want to see them live.

Really. Really.

I'm not too into metal. But both albums are great. That said, I don't listen to them enough. But I sure do listen!

But I don't like them enough to hit "Brilliant! what you explained". I'm leaning towards it, though.

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
OceanMachine
Lost at Forum

TMV are cool. Their Tremulant EP was terrible, but everything since then has been much, much better.

I've heard from a lot of people that don't like Frances The Mute much, but I enjoy it. The album is definitely much less accessable than Deloused was, with a lot less song structure, and a lot more wandering passages. If it's done well, I can go for that kind of thing, and I think TMV are great at creating atmospherics.

Deloused has my favorite tunes though. Eriatarka, and Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt. That bass solo kicks sooo much ass!

Vintage Newbie

They're not quite ATDI, but I can dig 'em.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I can handle them in small doses ... but since you asked for opinions:

I find Mars Volta overwrought and pretentious. I've found Sparta a surprisingly much more enjoyable part of the ATDI divorce. They're less out-there, but the songs feel much less contrived to me (and I just enjoy it more). Mars Volta reminds me of musical *ahem* over-gratification (to use a nice term). I love music that is really crazy and nonstandard, too.

And honestly, I don't find TMV as original as people think they are. I've been progged out. I've had a large dose of falsetto ... etc. Kinda played out to me.

However, I don't mind the voice at all. I just feel like it's all so gimmicky. Though there is some good music in there ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Deviluck
Golly, Poster

I love them so much!

I do think I agree with others here, in small doses.. Not a band that I can listen to consecutively! They still amaze me. One band to see before you die! Like pink floyd, which I doubt most of us have achieved!

DA Gallery
Myspace
If Eisley are ever in the UK, wanting some photos done =) do ask!
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
Mars Volta reminds me of musical *ahem* over-gratification (to use a nice term)

Nice! Very Happy

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

I really haven't heard much of The Mars Volta. And I'm probably going to be verbally raped by saying this, but your description, in my opinion, seems to describe a lighter and less organized version of Coheed and Cambria.
Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
Deviluck
Golly, Poster

Nightmare wrote:
I really haven't heard much of The Mars Volta. And I'm probably going to be verbally raped by saying this, but your description, in my opinion, seems to describe a lighter and less organized version of Coheed and Cambria.

Think faster, more melodic, less annoying, much more mature, mystical metal rock =)

DA Gallery
Myspace
If Eisley are ever in the UK, wanting some photos done =) do ask!
judd
Sea Post King

Nightmare wrote:

i think people tend to dislike claudio's voice even moreso than TMV's lead. i don't know his name. ahhhh. but i do dig deloused like mad crazy. and they do have a lot of melodic parts, i think someone said they didn't have much. but it's found sparsely throughout the album.

frances the mute. i haven't heard a single track off of it, but now i think i'll go and get the album when i get Fair's album. their album dropped today. 666. nice date.

myspace.com/juddortiz
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

judd wrote:
i don't know his name.

Cedric Bixler-Zavala

starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

I really like At The Drive In better myself.