Total Votes : 16

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
Saellys wrote:
mr pine wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:
Saellys wrote:
I disagree that Vincent's story is "a woman's story". There have been all kinds of tales through history of characters masquerading as something they're not in order to gain access to places they otherwise would not be able to go. It could be argued that the most memorable of these are about cross-dressers, but I don't think those stories make up the majority or the norm. I think Gattaca derives its conflict from far less gender-specific sources.

Can you cite some examples? From what I read, and the reason I said "woman's story" was because the long line of tales of women cross-dressing in order to do something society says they can't do.

Does "Man in the Iron Mask" Count?

Or "Star Wars" when Luke and Han dress like Stormtroopers?

Or "Return of the Jedi" when both Leia and Lando dress like bounty hunters to get into Jabba's lair?

Oh no no no, Leia's chosen bounty hunter was MALE. There goes that theory!

You do, however, get props for using two Star Wars examples.

The first example that comes to mind is Odysseus, whose use of cunning disguises to get where he couldn't otherwise go was renowned. Most notably in The Odyssey he disguised himself as a beggar (a pretty big step down for a famous war hero) to gain access to his own house.

My point was not that only women disguise themselves to get into places, but the reason why women dress up is that the society says they're not good enough because they're women. When Odysseus disguised himself as an old man he didn't do it because society said, "Beggars are better than rightful kings", he did it because he didn't want to be killed.

I made the point in an earlier draft of the post that when men dress up they're usually trying to run away from harm. When women dress up, they are usually trying to achieve goals that they are barred from because society says they aren't strong enough, brave enough, et cetera. Vincent's story follows the latter pattern.

I see what you mean now, and until I come up with a better example, I agree with you. Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

I saw that movie about a year ago and loved it. I really can barely remember what it was about, though Sad I need to watch it again.

<< prev | goto page