Laughing City

Do you like Taco Bueno?
Yes
27%
 27%  [ 11 ]
No
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Never Been There
42%
 42%  [ 17 ]
Que es Taco Bueno?
27%
 27%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 40

Author Message
bigideas
Vintage Newbie


Tyler finally opened a Taco Bueno this past Tuesday (Mar 4th).
Kilgore has had one since I can even remember.
Longview, maybe 5 years, or longer.

I've driven by there on my lunch each day since it's opened and there have been 3 or 4 cars each day waiting on the shoulder of the Loop just to get into the parking lot to get in line!

crazy man.

an article i read said they plan to put a second one in Tyler, but they want to open one in Lindale first.

let's see what everyone else thinks about TB

_________________
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 6824 | Location: Gilmer, Tejas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid


Taco Bueno!!

I like it, but not that much. Crazy!

Also, I grew up in Kilgore, and I don't remember if there was a time I was alive before Bueno was in town. But I always thought it was the red headed stepchild of Taco Bell. ha ha.

_________________
My photography:www.jamiemphoto.com

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
Joined: 15 Aug 2003 | Posts: 25184 | Location: East Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie


Another freakin' Mexican restaurant?!!!!
grrr! We have 25+ mexican restaurants in Tyler, and that doesn't even count all the "authentic" taco shacks!
I'm sick of it! I want diversity. Tyler city planners are brainless when it comes to bringing in restaurants.
Give us a Panera Bread, Macaroni Grill, anything but another mexican restaurant. Rolling Eyes
sheesh!

*Mercados
*La Pasados
Pico de Gallo
El Mexican
On the Border
El Chico
Taco Bell (2)
Papacitas
Don Juans (2)
Margarita's Mexican Restaurant
El Quatro Mexican Restaurant
El Charro Restaurant Number (2)
Taqueria El Lugar
Casa Ole
La Carreta
Jalapeno Tree
*Boyd designed their logos
Smile
Joined: 11 Nov 2002 | Posts: 3695 | Location: Tyler, TX
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ghost in the snow
Golly, Poster


Never heard of it.
Joined: 27 Jul 2004 | Posts: 657 | Location: jersey
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie


yeah, there is a ton of tex mex in East Texas.

i notice though when people move off a lot of times - including when i went to school in tennessee - when they come in they want some Tex Mex because TExas has the best.

Taco Bueno is unique in the fast food bit because they make all their food fresh with fresh ingredients. I think most of the others have frozen food and heat it up. In the same article I read the owner said there are people there over night making beans for the next day. The food at Taco Bueno, to me, is a million times closer to restaurant than Taco Bell - though I like Taco Bell, too. It's really a restaurant without waiters and with paper/plastic plates and utensils.

anywho, the hype has died down, so i got some today. they have extra workers for the opening so i got through their fast.

p.s. i've been to all those you listed, kim, except maybe one or two.

_________________
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 6824 | Location: Gilmer, Tejas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
norad
Vintage Newbie


I've never been there but I prefer home made tacos the best.
Joined: 12 Jun 2005 | Posts: 20735 | 
View user's profile Send private message
Paranoid Android v2.0
Vintage Newbie


There is a Mexican place next to where I work. Sometimes on my break I go there to get giant tortilla things stuffed with tofu and delicious.

That is the extent of my Mexican food knowledge.

_________________
Audioscrobbler Now

This is MYSPACE
Gee, Blog
Joined: 29 Oct 2003 | Posts: 4250 | Location: Up here in Connecticut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie


ohh man, i love taco bueno. i didn't know they made all there food fresh (and i'm kind of skeptical). Cheesecake Chimichangas are the bomb!

ever been to Taco Cabana? they're just a step above taco bueno. homemade tortillas AND a drive-thru...dang.

_________________
chinese food makes me sick
Joined: 21 Jan 2004 | Posts: 2901 | Location: Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
bigideas
Vintage Newbie


jack_stripes wrote:
ever been to Taco Cabana? they're just a step above taco bueno. homemade tortillas AND a drive-thru...dang.


yeah, but i think the closest is in the Dallas area.
there was one in Tyler for a while but it is now a TGI Fridays.

TB has a drive through as well.

this reminds me - a few months back i saw an article in the paper at how Mexico was trying to educate people on real Mexican food. now most people consider Taco Bell and what they have as traditional Mexican food, but it's not.

i think Don Juan's and Pico de Gallo in Tyler are actual authentic Mexican food. i think goat cheese is prominent, for instance, where it's not in Tex Mex.

_________________
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 6824 | Location: Gilmer, Tejas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
ladiosadice
Lost at Forum


bigideas wrote:


this reminds me - a few months back i saw an article in the paper at how Mexico was trying to educate people on real Mexican food. now most people consider Taco Bell and what they have as traditional Mexican food, but it's not.

i think Don Juan's and Pico de Gallo in Tyler are actual authentic Mexican food. i think goat cheese is prominent, for instance, where it's not in Tex Mex.


I don't think goat cheese is used very much in traditional Mexican cooking. They do use something called queso fresco. It has the same texture and look of soft goat cheese from France, but I think it is made from cow's milk. Kind of like an American cottage cheese.

My dad grew up in Mexico City, and my grandparents lived in Guadalajara while I was growing up. My grandmother only moved back to the US three years ago. We would visit them in Mexico at least once a year, and the food is incredible. Back in the States my dad would refuse to go to certain Mexican restaurants if they didn't prepare certain things authentically.

_________________
car.o.lyn

And I swear in that moment we were infinite
BLOG l FLICKR
Joined: 06 Mar 2004 | Posts: 1346 | Location: Maryland
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie


I sure do.
_________________
EisleyForever wrote:
you're A-list in my heart!


MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jamiga
Vintage Newbie


Where is the new Taco Bueno? I heard some people talking about it at work last night but they were saying it was closed on Sundays. I don't think I've ever eaten there.

Actually, Chad took us somewhere to eat once around Dallas. Was that Taco Bueno?

_________________
Jamie (the female version)
Joined: 09 Dec 2003 | Posts: 2528 | Location: Austin, TX
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid


That might have been Taco Cabana. But I forget the place we went. If it's the time I'm thinking of ... But it wasn't Taco Bueno ...
_________________
My photography:www.jamiemphoto.com

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
Joined: 15 Aug 2003 | Posts: 25184 | Location: East Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jamiga
Vintage Newbie


TheAntrider wrote:
That might have been Taco Cabana. But I forget the place we went. If it's the time I'm thinking of ... But it wasn't Taco Bueno ...



Oh.. yeah that sounds familiar.

_________________
Jamie (the female version)
Joined: 09 Dec 2003 | Posts: 2528 | Location: Austin, TX
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie


ladiosadice wrote:
bigideas wrote:


this reminds me - a few months back i saw an article in the paper at how Mexico was trying to educate people on real Mexican food. now most people consider Taco Bell and what they have as traditional Mexican food, but it's not.

i think Don Juan's and Pico de Gallo in Tyler are actual authentic Mexican food. i think goat cheese is prominent, for instance, where it's not in Tex Mex.


I don't think goat cheese is used very much in traditional Mexican cooking. They do use something called queso fresco. It has the same texture and look of soft goat cheese from France, but I think it is made from cow's milk. Kind of like an American cottage cheese.

My dad grew up in Mexico City, and my grandparents lived in Guadalajara while I was growing up. My grandmother only moved back to the US three years ago. We would visit them in Mexico at least once a year, and the food is incredible. Back in the States my dad would refuse to go to certain Mexican restaurants if they didn't prepare certain things authentically.


yeah, it's also called farmer's Cheese (or the spanish language equivalent...queso ranchero?) and it's prevelant in a lot of central and south america countries as well. it's kind of bland by itself, but, dang do those guys know how to make things taste good!

You can get it anywhere now. i saw it at wal-mart the other day, but of course it's cheaper at the mexican grocery stores like Fiesta, or whatever y'all have.

and yeah, you have to take tex-mex food for what it is: a fusion of cultures. And once you get past the fact that it's not authentic, there's a a lot of dang good places to eat (at least in TX).

¡tengo hambre!

_________________
chinese food makes me sick
Joined: 21 Jan 2004 | Posts: 2901 | Location: Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic

Display posts from previous:   



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB, coffee, and Eisley fans worldwide.
phpBB is © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group