10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Batman
89%
 89%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 29

Obi-Sean
Sea Post King

This had to happen. Personally I'm still on the fence, I'm still letting TDK soak in from last night.
But I'm leaning towards Ironman.
Tony Stark was just more fun to watch.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Iron Man is possibly more fun to watch if I wanted to see a fun, lighter movie. And I think it's a really good movie. But The Dark Knight is just in another class, even from it.

Unless you mean the 1989 "Batman," in which case, I have to choose Iron Man 10 minutes before you asked. Laughing

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Obi-Sean
Sea Post King

TheAntrider wrote:

Unless you mean the 1989 "Batman," in which case, I have to choose Iron Man 10 minutes before you asked. Laughing

To clarify, TDK's Batman. Very Happy

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Ohh, I thought you might have been using "Batman" in generic terms for The Dark Knight. Laughing

Character-wise? I have to say Batman still, though. But Iron Man/Tony Stark is a great character, too. But when used to his maximum potential, Batman is still tops. And yes, as far as movies, Tony Stark bests all but Christian Bale's Batman in my eyes. Great casting these days ...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Iron Man is way less full of himself.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Well ... In a Tony Stark vs. Bruce Wayne showdown, I'd have go with Tony.

Obi-Sean
Sea Post King

I'd have to agree.
Also, Pepper Potts > Rachael Dawes.
But, Joker > Iron Monger.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Obi-Sean wrote:
I'd have to agree.
Also, Pepper Potts > Rachael Dawes.
But, Joker > Iron Monger.

Indeed.

BK
Laughing Citizen

The comic book character of Ironman vs Batman = Batman
The movie character of Ironman vs Batman = Ironman
The movie Ironman vs Dark Knight = Dark Knight

I loved Ironman and plan on owning the DVD on day 1, but Dark Knight is a better contender for getting a comic book movie into the Academy Awards.

Vintage Newbie

BK wrote:
... Dark Knight is a better contender for getting a comic book movie into the Academy Awards.

How is that relevant to the thread, and since when does anyone want to see comic book movies in the running for the Academy Awards? Do we really need to cheapen the Oscars that much more?

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
BK
Laughing Citizen

I felt it was completely relevant, and it's opinions like yours that make me weep for the Oscars.
Sea Post King

Relevant or not, I don't think Dark Knight would even be considered if Heath Ledger didn't die.
I think you putting too much emphasis on what the award is going to. Heath Ledger is being considered for it posthumous to honor his work.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Obi-Sean wrote:
Relevant or not, I don't think Dark Knight would even be considered if Heath Ledger didn't die.
I think you putting too much emphasis on what the award is going to. Heath Ledger is being considered for it posthumous to honor his work.

Bingo.

Smokemonster
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

well, having just gotten back from seeing The Dark Knight for the second time (this time in IMAX!)… i say Hellboy. but, just to play along:

Bruce Wayne vs. Tony Stark — well, i'd say Bruce Wayne in general, but i don't much care for the way Christian Bale played him in The Dark Knight, and i've always thought Robert Downy Jr. was pretty cool (despite his own personal $#@! ups), so maybe Tony Stark, if we're only talking about those two movies.

Batman vs. Iron Man — i've honestly always thought Iron Man was only a so-so super-hero, and Batman has always been my favorite, so… i don't much like the “new” Batsuit, though; it doesn't seem intimidating enough… too “sleek”, maybe? yes, i know that's what they were going for, but that doesn't mean i have to like it! if Batman had kept his original Batsuit, and Iron Man had kept his original Iron Man suit, both would have been way cooler (especially Iron Man!)

Rachael Dawes vs. Pepper Potts — Pepper Potts, hands down. Gwyneth Paltrow really surprised me, and i kind of fell completely in love with her by the time the movie was over! on the other hand, i honestly can't even remember Maggie Gyllenhaal's performance at all, and i saw the movie this very afternoon (and last night!), while it's been months since my one viewing of Iron Man (and i think i saw at least one other movie that day!)

The Joker vs. Iron Monger — The Joker has always been a far deeper and more complex character than your average super-villain, and while i'm not as fond of Heath Ledger's interpretation as everyone else on the face of the planet, it's light-years above and beyond the “big bad capitalist” caricature of Jeff Bridges' Obadiah Stane / Iron Monger, even though he does have a cool suit!

i'd actually say that Two Face was the best villain of the year, though, and that Aaron Eckhart easily stole the show from both Heath Ledger and Christian Bale! it's just that you really grew to care about Harvey Dent throughout the course of the movie, and his transformation into Two-Face was truly horrifying, something i felt lacking in Heath Ledger's Joker. i guess it's like this: Heath Ledger's The Joker was more a force of nature, no more “evil” than a hurricane, or whatever, while Harvey Dent / Two Face seemed like an actual human being, with real emotions, real intelligence, real morals, and, therefor, also, real evil!

The Dark Knight vs. Iron Man — The Dark Knight, easily. Iron Man was — at best — an entertaining distraction, while The Dark Knight hits hard, crawls under your skin, and never lets go! i was a little disappointed by The Dark Knight's change in style from Batman Begins, especially because i thought the world created in that film was one of the most simultaneously beautiful and horrifying sights ever put on film, whereas the world of The Dark Knight is more like any-city U.S.A., but The Dark Knight does have a more compelling and meaningful story to tell, so i suppose that counts for something!
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

do not be afraid. wrote:
i'd actually say that Two Face was the best villain of the year, though, and that Aaron Eckhart easily stole the show from both Heath Ledger and Christian Bale! it's just that you really grew to care about Harvey Dent throughout the course of the movie, and his transformation into Two-Face was truly horrifying, something i felt lacking in Heath Ledger's Joker. i guess it's like this: Heath Ledger's The Joker was more a force of nature, no more “evil” than a hurricane, or whatever, while Harvey Dent / Two Face seemed like an actual human being, with real emotions, real intelligence, real morals, and, therefor, also, real evil!

While I don't know if I'd completely agree that Eckhart stole the show, I definitely think his performance has been largely ignored due to the hype surrounding Ledger's role. He played Dent to an understated perfection, and I think a lot of that was overshadowed by the in-your-face style of the Joker.

goto page
 | next >>