Laughing City
Louis Zanolli
Sea Post King

Does the group really have an exposure issue?

I'm an old man, 39, now hooked on the music but understand I am a Tool fan too, that would be a show, Eisley and Tool!

My friend Grady introduced me to the group and I have enjoyed them very much and they are in sequence right before Elvis Costello!

I became hooked on Eisley while creating a course to help others make money on the Internet, which is about exposure and promotion. In addition, it's cool they are up the road so if they play locally in Tyler I may go see them, I wonder?

Does Eisley truly have an exposure issue due to WB?

Understand that I don't expect those involved, the band, can or should comment on this but other than an over excited fan, is this true?

I ask because, depending on the fan base, there are solutions.

Anyway, is lack of exposure/promotion really an issue?

Louis
Louis Zanolli
Sea Post King

If you want to help, try this:

1. Create Your Own Blog Dedicated to Eisley (i.e. Blogger)
2. Create a Fan Site dedicated to Eisley
3. Create Links to their actual site(s) and each other's fan sites/blogs/etc
4. Write about the origin of the band name so Star Wars fans stumble across then post at Star Wars forums how cool it is they did that!
5. Create entries in your MySpace entries
6. Organize as clubs in states and cities then contact venues asking them to book the band
7. Buy a CD for friends and family to get the label to see a jump in sales
8. Create clever or funny videos dedicated to the group and post on YouTube
9. Use Social bookmaking sites like Digg, StumbleUpon or Del.icio.us
10. Take action you have control over by promoting them everywhere you post, not just here
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Welcome to Laughing City! 39 isn't old; don't be too hard on yourself just because the forum's average age is 20ish. Wink

Yes, there really is an exposure issue. The fact that Combinations has not seen an official single release is the clearest evidence of this, but there are other signs.

Your suggestions are great and I think for the most part Eisley fans do a lot of that already with pretty good consistency. In the past we've joined together to help Eisley win competitions that involve voting in online polls--they're usually ahead by a huge margin once the poll ends.

But there is only so much fans can do. It's important (and awesome) that Eisley have a loyal and active fan base doing street team duties for them, but that's only one piece of the puzzle. It's also important that the label to which they're signed--and to which they still owe an awful lot of money for the recording of their first two albums--take some responsibility for promoting them. Eisley paid for their last tour themselves... they got absolutely no help from Warner Brothers, and doing a national headlining tour is an enormous undertaking. I think it's terribly sad that they can't even count on their label for tour support.

Word of mouth is a very powerful way to help a band, and in many cases it's the only opportunity to advertise. But when the band is signed to a major label, with fingers in many pies and endless contacts and opportunities for advertising, I think it's reasonable to expect a little more in the way of exposure.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Welcome! Well, I'm 28, so I'm starting to get up there in forum years. ha ha. But we have plenty of company, too.

I think Eisley fans definitely need to stay rabid and support the band in every way they can. I like your suggestions, actually. It might seem futile sometimes, and we aren't a corporation, but we can make a lot of noise. And the more noise we make, the more impact we'll have in the end. It certainly would help if certain labels would do more than ponying up money to make albums, but Eisley existed long before they were signed, and they did that in part because of their fans. What poor business to give up all of that cash without any true attempt to reap profit. Rolling Eyes

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

Saellys wrote:

But there is only so much fans can do. It's important (and awesome) that Eisley have a loyal and active fan base doing street team duties for them, but that's only one piece of the puzzle. It's also important that the label to which they're signed--and to which they still owe an awful lot of money for the recording of their first two albums--take some responsibility for promoting them. Eisley paid for their last tour themselves... they got absolutely no help from Warner Brothers, and doing a national headlining tour is an enormous undertaking. I think it's terribly sad that they can't even count on their label for tour support.

if such is the case -- and i hate to ask this question, nor does asking it mean to imply such rumors are true -- are they even ON the label anymore?

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Louis Zanolli wrote:
Elvis Costello!

In addition, it's cool they are up the road so if they play locally in Tyler I may go see them, I wonder?

After hearing about EC all these years, I finally broke down and bought My Aim is True. Now I see why he is so iconic and his songwriting is always praised.

They used to play around here quite often before being signed to WB. They actually did play a show at Brewtone's in Tyler at the end of last year. Unfortunately, I was not able to make that one.

I think the state of the radio has a lot to do with music these days. Indie bands usually have to 'grow' their fan base. There are the small few who burst on the scene - ones I can think of in the last few years The Strokes, The Artic Monkeys, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - of course, these have already cooled down with their subsequent releases.

I have no idea though. There is no 'magic formula' per se.
I think a second video for another song off of Combinations could have benefited them, even if it was a lower budget thing.

vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

mister_joseph wrote:
Saellys wrote:

if such is the case -- and i hate to ask this question, nor does asking it mean to imply such rumors are true -- are they even ON the label anymore?

yes.

Vintage Newbie

mister_joseph wrote:
Saellys wrote:

Since Boyd still mentions WB now and then, I'm assuming they are still signed. However, given the state of the industry and the lack of support Eisley have received from the label lately, my very non-expert opinion is that they will not be signed for much longer.

This would not necessarily be a bad thing.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

All WB is really doing right now is acting as a loanshark and distributing the album. Why sign a deal for that? Getting bumped from WB might be a great move for Eisley. They can sell 50,000 records on their own. You'll get a much higher cut without a label cut (assuming you can acquire a loan to record in the studio/distribute the album).

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ks1990
Lost at Forum

Yeah. When Boyd posted on trolleywood the other week about Jason, I thought he was gonna tell us Eisley had been dropped by WB. But I agree that it might not be a bad thing. It doesn't really feel like they're signed anyways tbh.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i guess really it's a Catch 22 situation:

if the label invests a lot of money in them, then that means they're going to put a lot more of their own influence on the band, i.e. telling them what to do, etc.

they should have at least put out another single/video though.

so you say, "that costs money."

you can make interesting low budget videos with creativity.

if you just videod some of Sherri's 'photo sessions' that would be interesting. the one where they all dressed up - that could be potentially an interesting short film. at least visually anyways. what narrative you could make or pull out of it, i have no idea. videos don't always need stories anyway.

keithabbott
Sea Post King

Not to worry Louis...I'm right behind you. I turn 39 in just over 2 weeks.

Louis Zanolli wrote:
Does the group really have an exposure issue?

I'm an old man, 39, now hooked on the music but understand I am a Tool fan too, that would be a show, Eisley and Tool!

My friend Grady introduced me to the group and I have enjoyed them very much and they are in sequence right before Elvis Costello!

I became hooked on Eisley while creating a course to help others make money on the Internet, which is about exposure and promotion. In addition, it's cool they are up the road so if they play locally in Tyler I may go see them, I wonder?

Does Eisley truly have an exposure issue due to WB?

Understand that I don't expect those involved, the band, can or should comment on this but other than an over excited fan, is this true?

I ask because, depending on the fan base, there are solutions.

Anyway, is lack of exposure/promotion really an issue?

Louis

redboots
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:

if the label invests a lot of money in them, then that means they're going to put a lot more of their own influence on the band, i.e. telling them what to do, etc.

Definitely possible. Take a look at OK Go's "Here it Goes Again" video. That took YouTube by storm. All they did was make up a sweet dance on treadmills!
Joined: 30 May 2008 | Posts: 309 | Location: above the tree tops
ks1990
Lost at Forum

redboots wrote:
bigideas wrote:

Definitely possible. Take a look at OK Go's "Here it Goes Again" video. That took YouTube by storm. All they did was make up a sweet dance on treadmills!

Indeed. That video is great. I could totally see Eisley making their own videos. They're like the most creative people I (don't) know.
piperjay23
Sea Post King

They do have an exposure issue. They need a "break out."

The band and supporters are very grassroots and organic in their process. I don't think they need anymore of that approach. So I disagree with your list.

What they need is national recognition. Since radio is almost dead as a real medium for quality new music, they need something else.

A brilliant album would be a great start. Most of the pieces are there: Unique sound, lyric writing, vocals. However, they lack a punch in the gut presence (both live and recorded). They need a solid producer/partner to refine their sound, improve their musicianship and enbsemble and help tailor a finely crafted album.

I think they need a strong dose of outside professionalism. Perhaps WB didn't bring it, or perhaps the family network filtered it out. Either way, a strong kick in the pants could do wonders.

The point is...the exposure problem will be solved when they bring top notch content to the table. They can do it, but they need to take a very difficult next step. And it starts with what goes on in the studio. All the fan blogs in the world can't control that.

goto page
 | next >>