Laughing City
steve_e
Sea Post King

Scott Pilgrim, yes! LOVE that series!! You hear they're doing a movie? I'm kinda 'meh' about that. I mean... does it really need a movie adaptation? Oh Hollywood... *sigh*

Watchmen - good, but longer (reading wise) than it should be
Sandman - good stuff. have the first... 3 absolute's that they have available right now?
V for Vendetta - alan moore*
Kingdom Come - good stuff! Marvels is also very nice if we're talking Ross.
The Dark Knight Returns - bah!**
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - See 'V'

Ok... Let me say right now, I'm 26, and wasn't around and reading comics when Watchmen, V, and DKR came out. That being said... I've read them, and have come to the conclusion that you sorta need to either a) have read them when they first came out or b) need to be the age to have read them when they first came out.

I say this because to someone my age, they just didn't deliver the impact they might have had given one of those two caveats. Now... I understand their historical impact on the comics community, I just didn't really like them. They were groundbreaking when they first came out... but comics today are molded and shaped because of those... so to me reading them, it was just more of the same, expect with some bad dialogue (DKR) and some bad (for today's standards) coloring.

I also realize this mindset is blasphemous in the comics community, but you know what... it's my opinion, and I'll never back down from it. Important? Yes. Enjoyable? In my opinion... no. And for those reasons I don't feel they're 'must reads'.

I'd also like to say that I think Frank Miller is a hack, and peaked 20 years ago. I also want to kick him squarely for what looks like he's doing to The Spirit. The Spirit is not Sin City...

*sorry, end rant Razz *

erico
Sea Post King

steve_e wrote:

Ok... Let me say right now, I'm 26, and wasn't around and reading comics when Watchmen, V, and DKR came out. That being said... I've read them, and have come to the conclusion that you sorta need to either a) have read them when they first came out or b) need to be the age to have read them when they first came out.

I say this because to someone my age, they just didn't deliver the impact they might have had given one of those two caveats. Now... I understand their historical impact on the comics community, I just didn't really like them. They were groundbreaking when they first came out... but comics today are molded and shaped because of those... so to me reading them, it was just more of the same, expect with some bad dialogue (DKR) and some bad (for today's standards) coloring.

I also realize this mindset is blasphemous in the comics community, but you know what... it's my opinion, and I'll never back down from it. Important? Yes. Enjoyable? In my opinion... no. And for those reasons I don't feel they're 'must reads'.

*sorry, end rant Razz *

As a life-long comic reader who was of perfect age when those books came out, I have to say... you have a point. There are many comics that I remember reading when the first came out and being BLOWN AWAY; I then return to them years later and find that while they're still great stories, the impact isn't the same. The industry just moves so quickly that what was once groundbreaking becomes familiar - it's the same reason why we're no longer frightened by Bela Lugosi's Dracula, or why a Chuck Berry song may just seem like a throwaway. How much you enjoy a given story is always going to be based on personal tastes, but kudos for recognizing the historical significance even if they're not your favorite books.
Comesapart
Sea Post King

steve_e wrote:
I also want to kick him squarely for what looks like he's doing to The Spirit. The Spirit is not Sin City...

+1

Lately I've been on a James Kochalka kick - American Elf is absolutely amazing; it reminds me of the first time I read Craig Thompson's Blankets. Also I'm writing my master's thesis on Winsor McCay, so I'm reading everything Little Nemo, Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend, Little Sammy Sneeze and work done by other cartoonists around the same time - Feininger's Kin-der Kids, Outcault's Buster Brown and so on.

steve_e
Sea Post King

I thought Blankets was amazing! Not a fan really though of Kochalka. Your thesis sounds interesting! And what a great subject!!

I'm getting my BA in animation, not that they're really related, but that "fantasy" world and the imagination are wonderful, wonderful things. Smile

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

The Scott Pilgrim movie has the right director. And I'll be ok with Michael Cera as Scott, as long as he has straighter hair and can fight.

I am ok with Frank Miller's interpretation of The Spirit, because 1) He was friends with Will Eisner (I'm pretty sure), 2) That will get people to pay attention to it and 3) If he drew this as a comic, it's how it would look. Well, there are other reasons, but those are the ones that strike me most. It's better than turning it out with some kind of awful camp feeling from trying to match the source material. (Speaking of having to experience things in their own time ...)

Maybe I am unusual, but I have no trouble seeing how amazingly striking DKR and Watchmen were at their times. I still think they stand up as amazing stories, even if the medium has greatly advanced since.

Oh yeah, but I mostly just groaned at Blankets and put it away for good. Well done, but bleh. It was just a little too much.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
steve_e
Sea Post King

I think just because they may have been friends isn't reason or excuse for him to take it the direction he has. I think it's extremely egotistical of him to feel his "style" is somehow more appropriate for this story and for the big screen. And I'm not saying that the transition from book to movie has to be campy either. Did you ever check out any of the recent series Darwyn Cooke did? That is more of a direction I would have liked them to take it if they were doing it as a movie.

Unfortunately Hollywood can't see beyond their nose and generally have no idea what the people want. Wash, Rinse, Repeat...

As far as Blankets goes, I must say it hit me at the right moment. I had just gone through a bad breakup, so the book hit me on multiple levels. I also haven't read it since... so I'm not sure how it'll hold up. I imagine I'll still have that nostalgic feeling... But this also goes to my earlier point I think, in that sometimes these books are all about the 'moment' in which they're read. Be it the Cold War era like in Watchmen, or a breakup and Blankets.

I still hold firm that Miller has peaked long before now and is just living off of his (comics) name. I get the feeling he isn't much interested in the medium anymore (not that I can blame him entirely, a lot out there is rubbish)... But I read issue 1 of All-Star Batman and Robin and knew then that the man was done. In my opinion, of course... and I know I'm in the minority.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Well, that wasn't my only reason ... But I think Frank Miller right now is so far beyond and outside of what the comics community want and accept right now that he is better off going into movies, where he is a fresh and accepted voice. Not that he can't be completely bonkers sometimes. I'm not even sure he could drop something like DKR these days and have it be received the way it was.

Oh! And since I should get this on topic, and since we are talking about Scott Pilgrim, we have to mention Bryan Lee O'Malley's lovely wife, Hope Larson. She is an amazing illustrator, and I think Sherri would love her stories.

www.hopelarson.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
brighterthansunshine
Sea Post King

This topic has strayed off topic a bit, and I'm not sure whether it belongs in this section or not. With that said, I would definitely recommend Sherri to check out Jim Lee's artwork. He's done brilliant work in Batman, and I would recommend Hush as a great showcase of his artwork with a really nice story (the absolute edition is the perfect medium for this). This is a love/hate book for diehard fans, but I think it's a great detective story for casual fans.

Well Sherri reading graphic novels gives her a couple more years for her tally (sorry for the somewhat lame Stephenie Meyer reference, I had to though)!
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Well, I did steer it back on track recommending Hope Larson's excellent work for Sherri. Smile (After I helped derail it. ha ha.)

Jim Lee is still awesome after all of these years ...

Sherri and the world should read these 15 issues of the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics, which are miraculously online! (At the bottom of this page)

http://www.ninjaturtles.com/html/comic.htm

Flipping amazing, and some of the best books out there.

violintide
Sea Post King

Comics and graphic novels? Yes please! For Sherri and anyone else interested, I'd like to recommend:

Fables
Blankets
Owly
Scott Pilgrim
Runaways
MouseGuard
Good as Lily
That Salty Air
Korgi

And I'm currently reading Laika. I love comics.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Runaways! I've lost track of it, but the first 30 something issues were excellent.

It makes me so happy that people like Scott Pilgrim now ...

steve_e
Sea Post King

Fables - good stuff!
Runaways - good stuff as well! need to catch up! (p.s. they're making a movie outta this one too)
MouseGuard - art was very good... story left a little to be desired. not saying it was bad... just missing "something" to make it great!

violintide
Sea Post King

Yeah, Runaways pretty much = win, actually anything written by Brian K. Vaughn = win. Although the last 6 issues written by Joss Whedon lost a little steam due to the wait between issues, but they should read fine in collected form. Then Runaways restarts with a new #1 later this year, with new writer Terry Moore (Strangers in Paradise).

And any Joss Whedon fans should definitely read Astonishing X-Men and Buffy Season 8!

Last edited by violintide on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jared x
Lost at Forum

steve_e wrote:
Fables - good stuff!

Wrong.

Fables - f-ing amazing stuff. One of the best newer series out there, along with Runaways. I recommend that to people all the time when they come into work and are looking for graphic novels.

violintide
Sea Post King

Yeah, I feel like Sherri might really enjoy Fables, if she hasn't already read it.