Laughing City
juan_diego
Sea Post King

So, after the Combinations tour i think its pretty safe to say that the Combinations era is over.

So why was Invasion the only single from the album, that had a video to go along with it? There are so many other great songs on the album, not to say Invasion isnt great, but I would have liked to see at least 2 other videos.

I mean Room Noises had 3 singles, Memories, Telescope Eyes, and Marvelous Things.

Who decides when they want to put out a single? Eisley, or WB?

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

There's already a few threads about this, most notably this one.

The decision to put out a single is probably 15% Eisley and 85% Warner Brothers, since WB is the one that has to do most of the work to get it out there. Clearly they didn't feel like doing any work this time.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Go Away was just dying to become a hit. Taking Control also had potential. WB is wasting their own investments in the band.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ks1990
Lost at Forum

Practically any song on that album could have worked as a single, that's what was so great about Combinations, each song was so distinct. It's such a shame; another video would have rocked.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Go Away was just dying to become a hit. Taking Control also had potential. WB is wasting their own investments in the band.

I agree.
I even have a story for a Go Away video - the classic "one guy dating two girls" scenario.
since Sherri and Stacy switch verses the one they sing would show the story of each one with that guy, then they find out they're being duped and the finale is them getting payback. during the "i am holding you" i can see some slow mo shots of them dumping a drinks on him or whatever (though this type of thing is in the Boris video - i thought of it before that).

wasn't there talk of an Israel filmed live video of Taking Control?

i wish they'd do something with that Kansas filmed stuff - which i'm just now getting around to watching.

oliez
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:

It was of many funerals...and I'm sure it's lost in the eisley black hole.
pzy
Wookie Luke

oliez wrote:
bigideas wrote:

It was of many funerals...and I'm sure it's lost in the Warner Bros black hole.

Fixed that

jasonemerge
Sea Post King

it's 100% WBR and 0% Eisley when it comes to deciding to fund and promote a video right now. having said that, i don't think we can conclusively say that Combinations is over... i mean - no one on OUR (band/boyd/me) side wants to let such a wonderful collection of music go to waste. what do you guys think?
i'm jason. i manage bands. one of them is this here band, Eisley, whom i manage with my best friend in the entire world, the wonderful Boyd DuPree. i like the cure. i've spent nearly 14 years in the music industry and haven't turned into a selfish, evil , money-grubbing liar yet. thank God.
Joined: 11 Jun 2008 | Posts: 6 | Location: all over the place.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

jasonemerge wrote:
it's 100% WBR and 0% Eisley when it comes to deciding to fund and promote a video right now. having said that, i don't think we can conclusively say that Combinations is over... i mean - no one on OUR (band/boyd/me) side wants to let such a wonderful collection of music go to waste. what do you guys think?

Realistically, what can you do after the album's been out for a whole year? All the buzz and reviews are long forgotten, I don't think a video would be very profitable right now.

How do videos bring in revenue anyway? Do TV/web stations pay royalties for each play? Do they generate more album sales? From consumers buying the videos? I'm ignorant, but I can't help but think Eisley videos have really done any of those things. They are a nice plus for fans, and we all enjoy them, but they never seem to get any real exposure.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I think videos help mostly as lengthy commercials to promote the artists. Well, they used to help ... not so sure anymore.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jasonemerge
Sea Post King

yes, every play of a video does technically generate royalties, but they're pennies. yes, sometimes videos are sold online - and bands don't see anything from the sale because most contracts predate the existence of online video sales... but videos mostly exist as a promotional medium.

case in point:
well... if we did a video for, say, "come clean" or "taking control" right now, and channel v in australia played it as their #1 international video for 2-4 weeks... the next time eisley went to australia, it would be to play large theaters or small arenas. videos are very good promotional tools when it comes to exposing new people to something - and i'm not just considering that the album has NOT been out a year in most of the world (it isn't out in most of the world at all, in fact)... on top of that, a year just isn't very long when it comes to a record cycle that hasn't "hopped". there was no real video or single for Combinations. WBR didn't push it, it didn't get radio, there WAS no video and therefore, by most major label logic (the logic of years past), the self-defeating momentum should have kicked in... but it didn't, because eisley is a great band, has a relatively large and loyal US fanbase, and could easily tour year-round in the US and fill rooms. if there had been a series of great videos during the Room Noises era, instead of the ones that were made, and WBR's video promo people had REALLY worked hand-in-hand with the radio promo people and the marketing staff, THAT was a time when videos could have made a big difference. However, there are a lot of factors in play now that were not in play back then... and frankly, I see more value in shooting videos for international markets (as in "outside the US"... sometimes it's "outside the US and Canada", but lately Canada seems like a whole new place) than for the domestic market.

Eisley happens to be authentic. They sell themselves. They don't need some fancy marketing machine to dress them up, package them and sell them. Nearly everyone who hears or sees Eisley play has a very positive reaction. My point is that ANYTHING which helps Eisley reach a larger audience is going to be good. If a video does that, awesome. If a fan tells five friends who each then tell five more friends about Eisley, even more awesome. The Internet has leveled the playing field somewhat when it comes to how you can market music, but some countries remain very close to the traditional "what's on the big corporate channels is all most people know" model. Videos are very helpful for markets like that.

Forgive me for my verbose response. I have quite a bit on my mind and the fact that it HAS been a year since Combinations was released is not lost on me. It should be a much more "known" album - and let's just say it's not the band's fault... we'll leave it to the fans to assign blame (although it seems that most of you already know where the blame doth lay Razz)- having said that... i will keep my lips sealed until another official update. i should probably leave those to boyd, anyway - you've all known him for much, much longer... i'm just some random manager dude who came on board in the past few months. Razz

...but every day, i wake up and realize how privileged i am to be working with such a wonderful group of people, and if anyone deserves to be a well-known, well-respected, enormously successful band, it's Eisley.

-jason
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Feel free to be as verbose as you want! You know what you're talking about, it's relevant and it's definitely good to hear. Thanks. Smile

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

That was a really interesting read, Jason. Very Happy I would love to see Eisley playing small arenas in Australia/Europe/anywhere else in the world... I think for an awful lot of U.S. bands, America is kind of a lost cause when it comes to promotion, but opportunities that don't exist here are totally open in other countries.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
jasonemerge
Sea Post King

thanks for the compliment...

about "america is kind of a lost cause when...", you are 100% correct, saellys. the US is quite a formidable market to break into - and now with the large economic downturn, it's an even bigger one. by contrast, japan and the UK are relatively easy with the right promotional tools.

i'm jason. i manage bands. one of them is this here band, Eisley, whom i manage with my best friend in the entire world, the wonderful Boyd DuPree. i like the cure. i've spent nearly 14 years in the music industry and haven't turned into a selfish, evil , money-grubbing liar yet. thank God.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

what about that footage that was shot in Kansas?
i just watched it briefly, so i didn't do a total assessment on quality, but from what i remember it was put together pretty well.
it's already shot and everything and nothing else would be done with it so i wouldn't think it would cost a lot to be able to use that for promotion (though i have no idea).

i would say either Taking Control live video
or
Go Away story video
(instead of making a super expensive glossy video, make a lower budget one that works because of creative editing and storytelling - or interesting visuals)