Laughing City
johnnyhanel
Sea Post King

Okay so there is this live video on youtube (I'm sure you all seen it) of the song tree tops.
My question is... Does anyone know what type piano is being used?
Or what piano is usually used normally? I'm really interested and I don't know how else to figure this out. Please help if you know. Thanks!
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

It wasn't a piano per say. Stacy has been using an analog electric piano (called a Rhodes or Fender Rhodes) which has a different timbre than traditional pianos. She now has a modern digital piano in her setup. While it's probably not worth it to buy a Rhodes just so you can play this song properly, many digital pianos can emulate the sound almost identically. If you have a digital piano available to you, check out some of the different soundsets in it's database. Some have dedicated rhodes sets, while electric piano, vibraphone, or music box sets can get pretty close as well.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
juan_diego
Sea Post King

Yes my friend, that would be a Rhodes Mark 1 73 Stage piano!

Best piano EVER created. its an electromechanical piano, which is why it makes that beautiful sound you hear.

juan_diego
Sea Post King

DRMS_7888 wrote:
It wasn't a piano per say. Stacy has been using an analog electric piano (called a Rhodes or Fender Rhodes) which has a different timbre than traditional pianos. She now has a modern digital piano in her setup. While it's probably not worth it to buy a Rhodes just so you can play this song properly, many digital pianos can emulate the sound almost identically. If you have a digital piano available to you, check out some of the different soundsets in it's database. Some have dedicated rhodes sets, while electric piano, vibraphone, or music box sets can get pretty close as well.

Stacy's perticular model is just "Rhodes" which means its probaly from late 1974, when Rodes dropped the Fender name, through 1976. I can tell Stacy's model isnt any older than 1976 by some of its physical details.

However i STRONGLY disagree with you, not even the best emulators can even beggin to scratch the surface of the true Rhodes sound. Why do you think Stacy doesnt even mess around with those? I know that during the final noise tour her rhodes took a pretty hard beating and thats why she doesnt tour with it anymore, she once told me she was sort of sentimental about them.

It's deffinitely worth it to buy one, especially if you can find yourself a great deal! I kick myself everyday for ever letting mine go!

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

juan_diego wrote:
However i STRONGLY disagree with you, not even the best emulators can even beggin to scratch the surface of the true Rhodes sound. Why do you think Stacy doesnt even mess around with those? I know that during the final noise tour her rhodes took a pretty hard beating and thats why she doesnt tour with it anymore, she once told me she was sort of sentimental about them.

There's nothing wrong with playing a Rhodes piano, I'm just suggesting they are a relic of the electro acoustic instrument boom. In terms of performance techniques, this is perhaps the easiest part of emulation. Much like a piano (or traditional techniques on any variety of continuous decay or percussion instruments), the basic premise for tone production can be efficiently emulated through digital triggers on a keyboard. Want a softer, less articulate timbre? Play with less velocity. Want a harsher, bright timbre? Play with more velocity. Reproducing the actual timbres of continuously decaying harmonic sequence is much easier than trying to reproduce the ever changing timbres of a continuous sound instrument like violin or oboe. From there, it's just a matter of being able to reproduce the analog process of a hammer hitting the tine (and subsequent vibrations from the tone bar) in a convincing digital facsimile.

Perhaps you haven't heard many convincing Rhodes samples, but I've heard some fantastic ones (and even ones that take the idea of signal processing to a new extreme). This isn't a knock to keyboard players/pianists at all, it's just simply easier to make effective digital counterparts of this branch of instruments. Whereas, a violinist or cellist can express musical nuances through timbrel distortion, the pianist must rely more on dynamic and rhythmical choices. Furthermore, like percussionists, pianists are deeply obsessed with velocity and stroke technique for altering timbre.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
johnnyhanel
Sea Post King

Thanks a million for the quick respones!
alastica
Sea Post King

juan_diego wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

Stacy's perticular model is just "Rhodes" which means its probaly from late 1974, when Rodes dropped the Fender name, through 1976. I can tell Stacy's model isnt any older than 1976 by some of its physical details.

It's deffinitely worth it to buy one, especially if you can find yourself a great deal! I kick myself everyday for ever letting mine go!

YOU SOLD IT?! AND NOT TO ME! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?! Haha.

But actually, the Rhodes setting in Logic Pro is VERY close to the real thing. Even more so than the Nord Rhodes sound. Which makes me very happy I saved money and got my M-Audio ProKeys instead of a freaking expensive Nord Electro.

Joined: 01 Apr 2006 | Posts: 314 | Location: Greetings From Michigan, The Great Lakes State!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
juan_diego
Sea Post King

alastica wrote:
juan_diego wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

YOU SOLD IT?! AND NOT TO ME! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?! Haha.

But actually, the Rhodes setting in Logic Pro is VERY close to the real thing. Even more so than the Nord Rhodes sound. Which makes me very happy I saved money and got my M-Audio ProKeys instead of a freaking expensive Nord Electro.

I had too!!! I was in need of some quick cash a few months ago, fortunately I have found another one in the area and hopefully it will be mine within the next few weeks! It needs alot more work than the previous one did though. This one has got some dead pick ups, sticky keys, and a missing tone bar. I'll fix her up good though!

I actually have a ProKeys 88 now as well, and honestly I'll admit I like the Rhodes and Wurly samples better than the Acoustic piano samples. The Acoustic piano samples on it just sound wayyy too thin, especially in the higher registers.

alastica
Sea Post King

Yeah, I know what you're saying. You should try USB'n it to a Mac and messing with the Logic instruments. Sooo good.

Joined: 01 Apr 2006 | Posts: 314 | Location: Greetings From Michigan, The Great Lakes State!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address