Laughing City

Who are you voting for/would vote for tomorrow?
Charles Baldwin
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Bob Barr
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
John McCain
24%
 24%  [ 20 ]
Cynthia McKinney
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Ralph Nader
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Barack Obama
59%
 59%  [ 49 ]
Other (write in)
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Choosing not to vote (don't pick if you are ineligible to vote, but wish to vote)
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 83

ghost in the snow
Golly, Poster

a good friend of mine goes to school by me but he's from georgia, and we talked last night after the election. i didn't believe that racism was still so prominent, especially with our generation, but these are some facebook statuses from home that he showed me:

****** is going to invest in chicken and kool-aid stock.
****** is going to move to Australia.
***** is so umm guess the terrorists are on their way over.
**** cant wait 2 see the new watermelon patch at the newly painted black house.
****** is... pocket your cash, hide your babies, grab all your guns, sit in your closet and wait...the time has come.
**** thinks you should read up on George Orwell's Animal Farm because you, America, just elected Napoleon.
**** is trusting God and God alone with our country.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

ladiosadice wrote:
After feeling really happy for African Americans, the first thing I heard from an African American male this morning was:

"Last night I was at the White House high as sh*t."

Way to go. Rolling Eyes

Well, that was very condescending. Not every black person had to cry like Jesse Jacksonpunkbitch. The fact that you think that black people in particular should've treated last night like the second coming of the Christ shows that you might not be as 'color-blind' as you might think. Frankly, we don't need you to feel 'really happy' for us; 'we' didn't do anything besides vote (and not all for Obama, I might add). Anyway, I'm sooo sorry that not every black person lived up to your *inhale* *holdit*high *exhale* standards. Yes, yes, I know. I nailed you for being condescending, and I'm being really condescending. Don't try that tuquoque crap on me. Wink

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

ladiosadice wrote:
After feeling really happy for African Americans, the first thing I heard from an African American male this morning was:

Way to go. Rolling Eyes

Sorry that was your experience. It says more about the places you are than African Americans. I was around plenty, young and old, in the midst of people of all other races. We talked about not wanting to stay up all night to find out, and whether he'd be a puppet, and how close the popular vote was. No weedheads to be found.

Oddly a lot of people got internal memos to play down their support for the parties and not openly discuss the election at work...

Immaturity doesn't come with age or race, it's an attitude. Don't let that person define your idea of African Americans anymore than you would let Colin Power, Condaleeza Rice, Barack Obama, or Oprah Winfrey.

"Judged not by the color of there skin, but the content of their character." Judge this generation by generational standards, African Americans existed before all the things people choose to associate with them now, and go well beyond them, it's just not what's always seen, or noticed.

So says the African American, never used a drug, gamefully employed, Barack Obama supporter, Prolife, morally conservative Eisley fan.

It's a shame that a group of people of color stand out so much, it would be so much harder to notice if we all looked the same, cause if a white person said what you quoted, would it have mattered as much to you? Confused

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
[ Anyway, I'm sooo sorry that not every black person lived up to your *inhale* *holdit*high *exhale* standards.
Hahaha, you are outrageous.
I bet you're a huge fan of Judge Clarence Thomas.
Is that racist of me to say? It's something I struggle with.

But seriously, I feel kind of bad for her. I bet she never thought she'd find a black guy on here, let alone two! I went to an all black school in first grade because of the odd zoning, and I was literally one of two white kids (my neighbor), and I swear if it wasn't for that, I would probably view black guys as jobless Jah-worshipping thugs, although secretly very strongly attracted to them at the same time.

Also, that made me laugh. I didn't mind the humorous FB updates, but I saw a few too many non-funny, Klan-esque ones that made me pretty nauseous.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

ghost in the snow wrote:
a good friend of mine goes to school by me but he's from georgia, and we talked last night after the election. i didn't believe that racism was still so prominent, especially with our generation, but these are some facebook statuses from home that he showed me:

****** is going to invest in chicken and kool-aid stock.
****** is going to move to Australia.
***** is so umm guess the terrorists are on their way over.
****** is... pocket your cash, hide your babies, grab all your guns, sit in your closet and wait...the time has come.
**** thinks you should read up on George Orwell's Animal Farm because you, America, just elected Napoleon.
**** is trusting God and God alone with our country.

well, sad to say, the backlash for expecting people to react this way i that you're called an Elitist (remember the reaction to "they cling to their guns, they cling to their religion..."). And given a reason, even jokingly, out comes the distrust and resentment, with not one second in office to warrant it. meanwhile 8 years later some are still in disbelief that after all that's happened a large number of people distrust the political party that supported the currently in power administration? Double Standards, as American as corporate welfare Very Happy

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

I think my favorite racist election day joke was - "Early polls show Barrack Obama w/ an early lead, but that will change when all the white people get out of work."
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:
[ Anyway, I'm sooo sorry that not every black person lived up to your *inhale* *holdit*high *exhale* standards.
Hahaha, you are outrageous.
I bet you're a huge fan of Judge Clarence Thomas.
Is that racist of me to say? It's something I struggle with.
Didn't Cubs make it clear? =

tahruh wrote:
But seriously, I feel kind of bad for her. I bet she never thought she'd find a black guy on here, let alone two!

So that makes it OK? That's one thing I love about this forum; I learn what white people say when they don't think black people are listening.
tahruh wrote:
I went to an all black school in first grade because of the odd zoning, and I was literally one of two white kids (my neighbor), and I swear if it wasn't for that, I would probably view black guys as jobless Jah-worshipping thugs, although secretly very strongly attracted to them at the same time.

If you have something to say to me, take it to pm. Wink

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:

tahruh wrote:
But seriously, I feel kind of bad for her. I bet she never thought she'd find a black guy on here, let alone two!

So that makes it OK? That's one thing I love about this forum; I learn what white people say when they don't think black people are listening.
tahruh wrote:
I went to an all black school in first grade because of the odd zoning, and I was literally one of two white kids (my neighbor), and I swear if it wasn't for that, I would probably view black guys as jobless Jah-worshipping thugs, although secretly very strongly attracted to them at the same time.

Oh you silly youngster's with your deep rooted identity issues and psychological schisms played out in anonymous internet humor and dialogue... when will you ever learn, half this room in on the staff of To Catch A Predator, and we're gonna getcha! Very Happy

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
Didn't Cubs make it clear?

The photos posted in that other thread (not the ones you posted above) were to show that racism runs both ways. Quit trying to paint me as a racist.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:

The photos posted in that other thread were to show that racism runs both ways. Quit trying to paint me as a racist.

I wasn't. I think that picture was probably the funniest thing I've seen in months. And it also points out that black people don't like other black people just because they're black.

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:

The photos posted in that other thread were to show that racism runs both ways. Quit trying to paint me as a racist.

I wasn't. I think that picture was probably the funniest thing I've seen in months. And it also points out that black people don't like other black people just because they're black.
Black conservatives have to put up with being mocked by other blacks fairly routinely.
ladiosadice
Lost at Forum

Pantheon4 wrote:
ladiosadice wrote:

Way to go. Rolling Eyes

Well, that was very condescending. Not every black person had to cry like Jesse Jacksonpunkbitch. The fact that you think that black people in particular should've treated last night like the second coming of the Christ shows that you might not be as 'color-blind' as you might think. Frankly, we don't need you to feel 'really happy' for us; 'we' didn't do anything besides vote (and not all for Obama, I might add). Anyway, I'm sooo sorry that not every black person lived up to your *inhale* *holdit*high *exhale* standards. Yes, yes, I know. I nailed you for being condescending, and I'm being really condescending. Don't try that tuquoque crap on me. Wink

Shut up.
You don't know me at all. And yeah, you're post was extremely condescending because you chose to attack me personally, while I was not attacking anyone other than the person who made the comment.
If you can't understand sarcasm, then I guess I'm in the wrong forum.

I'm done.

And I swear in that moment we were infinite
BLOG l FLICKR
Last edited by ladiosadice on Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:

tahruh wrote:

tahruh wrote:

Oh you silly youngster's with your deep rooted identity issues and psychological schisms played out in anonymous internet humor and dialogue... when will you ever learn, half this room in on the staff of To Catch A Predator, and we're gonna getcha! Very Happy
And I'm sure you're the guy they're trying to catch, big Willie.

My identity issues and humor are neither anonymous nor exist only on the internet, thank you very much.

And wow, way to be creepy, Pantheon.

...Just trying to save face. Laughing
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:

Black conservatives have to put up with being mocked by other blacks fairly routinely.

That's my point. Being black doesn't shield them from 'mocked' like any other conservative.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:

*skip to bottom for short version*

Yes and No, cause by a lot of people's standards, Conservative in the "Black" community isn't the same thing Fox or CNN think of it as. Typically, if we're gonna generalize about he way "Black" people ridicule each other, it has more to do with a genuine sense of betrayal.

Trickle down economics doesn't sound cool to the people on the bottom, they get a trickle, while the people at the top flourish. Since race and poverty are historically related in America, and globally, "Black" people, tend to be at, and stay in the bottom, and get "the trickle". Supporting that policy tends to support social stratification, and perpetuating a status quo that may have been built up on injustice and corruption. People with minimal power are ill equipped to change that, so when you support the Status quo, you are promoting poverty, because the system as it stands relies on an inexpensive workforce to generate profit.

*short version*

Trickle Down economics and "privatization" of social services that provide basic human needs exploits the lower-classes to benefit those controlling industry. Supporting those policies impacts "Black" people harshly given discrimination was legal up till 40 or so years ago. Though illegal it was, and is still practiced. So the conservatives usually criticized take their own success as evidence that all is right with the system, when it in general punishes all the poor, regardless of race, but due to historical factors a large percentage of "Black" people have been raised in the conditions of poverty, which can sometimes be difficult to escape.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>