Laughing City
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

is it true Katy Perry started in the Christian music scene?
sebas
Golly, Poster

bigideas wrote:
is it true Katy Perry started in the Christian music scene?

Yea I think so. Then she realized Christian music is terrible (even though some of you poop heads would say her music is already terrible).

-Mahatma, Gandhi
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

sebas wrote:
Then she realized Christian music is terrible (even though some of you poop heads would say her music is already terrible).

Wow, and people used to dog "Bible Thumpers" for being judgmental. All I can say is there is good music and terrible music in every genre, for every social and cultural group, and if you haven't found good stuff, you haven't dug very deep. If you judge any group by what's most popular you are selling them short.

Anyways, if you want to hear some INCREDIBLE music, that just so happens to be by Christian artists, I can provide a list. Finding them ain't hard if you know where to look. Start with Tooth & Nail records, The Militia Group, and Floodgate Records. Lujo Records has some of the others I like.

Simply put. there are people with great taste in music and mondo talent that are just as vital and creative as anyone else, that also believe in God, Jesus, and in some cases Allah, or Jehovah/ Yahweh. And year, there are some talented bands that profess complete atheism, paganism, or satanism. It doesn't negate one's ability to put together evocative words and melodies though. It's when all you can do musically is reiterate carbon copy art of like-minded folks, that the music becomes rote and derivative.

Anyways, I used to be a "Hater" on Christian rock back when all there was to be had that i knew of was DC Talk and Jars of Clay, but there is so much more depth and artistry, some much more energy and passion. I'm not trying to convert anybody, but man, some of the best music I've ever heard has been by under the radar Christian rock bands over the last 10 years. It's been musical heaven, cause before then I had to dig to find bands who rocked that hard AND understood melody and rhythm, much lest dynamics. Shame most people don't know a lot of the bands, and they've since broken up. Oh well, the music lives on, and I will defend its honor with unyielding reckless abandon.

FREEDOM!!! Surprised

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

Re Wilsmith, hear hear!

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

I like quite a few bands who happen to be Christian where their faith must have some sort of influence on their music and lyrics but I have never heard a Christian band that I felt anything for. To me a christian band is one that plays and writes devotional music. It's just not something that I can relate to and music to me is all about relating. I can say the same for most country music as well.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

what's her Christian music story though?

i'll see if wiki can tell me anything and hopefully i can find some pics taken during that time period.

http://www.rustedknight.com/downs_productions/web_pages/bebo_shaun_kat y.html

her birth name was Katy Hudson and apparently she released one album under that name.

StuartBuck
Sea Post King

wilsmith wrote:

Anyways, I used to be a "Hater" on Christian rock back when all there was to be had that i knew of was DC Talk and Jars of Clay, but there is so much more depth and artistry, some much more energy and passion.
Oh no, you didn't just hate on DC Talk and Jars of Clay! Smile

Say, have you heard Deas Vail?

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

big recent CCM news:

Peter Furler - lead singer of Newsboys - has retired and now Michael Tait of DC Talk is taking his place.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

StuartBuck wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

Anyways, I used to be a "Hater" on Christian rock back when all there was to be had that i knew of was DC Talk and Jars of Clay, but there is so much more depth and artistry, some much more energy and passion.
Oh no, you didn't just hate on DC Talk and Jars of Clay! Smile

Say, have you heard Deas Vail?

as far as Jars of Clay, I am a fan. Actually, I thought Flood was a good song, back in the day, when it broke through to VH1 and I heard nothing else, so I they didn't single-handedly save Christian music for me at that time. Then a friend put a lot of Much Afraid on a tape and I was reassured that they were the real deal. As it stands, they get better every time out as far as my taste goes. If I Left the Zoo was the only letdown I had in their output, everything else has been a little different in one way or another from the previous, but all good.

DC Talk was always on my bad side going back to the early 90's, before they went alternative. It was almost like Color Me Bad to my ears. I never recovered. I did pick up the Tait records, and thought they were decent at the worst, good at best. The Kevin Max stuff was alright, so I guess my problem has always been with Toby Mac. There you go. I will not apologize. Plus working with Kirk Franklin = Fail by association.

I have heard the name Deas Vail, but not the music. I'll give it a spin.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

I liked the "Jesus Freak" album when it came out . . . but not so much the earlier stuff. Kevin Max has had some creative songs, and I've got two "Tait" CDs.

I first heard Jars of Clay back in about 1995, when they were opening up for PFR (now there's a band that I loved). It was a great concert from beginning to end.

sebas
Golly, Poster

wilsmith wrote:
sebas wrote:
Then she realized Christian music is terrible (even though some of you poop heads would say her music is already terrible).

Wow, and people used to dog "Bible Thumpers" for being judgmental. All I can say is there is good music and terrible music in every genre, for every social and cultural group, and if you haven't found good stuff, you haven't dug very deep. If you judge any group by what's most popular you are selling them short.

Anyways, if you want to hear some INCREDIBLE music, that just so happens to be by Christian artists, I can provide a list. Finding them ain't hard if you know where to look. Start with Tooth & Nail records, The Militia Group, and Floodgate Records. Lujo Records has some of the others I like.

Simply put. there are people with great taste in music and mondo talent that are just as vital and creative as anyone else, that also believe in God, Jesus, and in some cases Allah, or Jehovah/ Yahweh. And year, there are some talented bands that profess complete atheism, paganism, or satanism. It doesn't negate one's ability to put together evocative words and melodies though. It's when all you can do musically is reiterate carbon copy art of like-minded folks, that the music becomes rote and derivative.

Anyways, I used to be a "Hater" on Christian rock back when all there was to be had that i knew of was DC Talk and Jars of Clay, but there is so much more depth and artistry, some much more energy and passion. I'm not trying to convert anybody, but man, some of the best music I've ever heard has been by under the radar Christian rock bands over the last 10 years. It's been musical heaven, cause before then I had to dig to find bands who rocked that hard AND understood melody and rhythm, much lest dynamics. Shame most people don't know a lot of the bands, and they've since broken up. Oh well, the music lives on, and I will defend its honor with unyielding reckless abandon.

FREEDOM!!! Surprised

Didn't read all that, but I'd like to let you know I was only being half serious with what I said. Most Christian music I've encountered has been terrible; but then there's the strong Christian bands who usually don't envelope their faith into their music--but sometimes let a couple words slip--like Flyleaf, for example, who are pretty good. But other than a couple exceptions, I rather not listen to people sing about their beloved sky daddy--luckily enough for me, the music itself is bad enough for me to not use the "I hate it because it's Christian" excuse.

-Mahatma, Gandhi
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

There are actually some people out there who right lyrics so poetically you actually have to listen and think to understand where they are coming from, not just the same old, same old you're referring to. I happen to like Flyleaf too, save for a couple over the top songs where they are trying to hard to prove they are "Metal".

All I can tell you is Check out Denison Marrs - Denison Marrs, Chasing Victory - Fiends, and As Cities Burn - O come now Sleeper. That's hardly scratching the surface, but if you are a fan of good rock music, there it is right there.

Lost Account 14083
Sea Post King

I probably would not go to the show if they toured with Katy Perry.

They should go on tour with She & Him or Margot & the Nuclear So and So's. Or all of them together. That would be an amazing show.
Caley
Lost at Forum

skylitveil wrote:
I probably would not go to the show if they toured with Katy Perry.

They should go on tour with She & Him or Margot & the Nuclear So and So's. Or all of them together. That would be an amazing show.

They are so awesome live! If they toured with them, it would make for a really good show.

I think Ra Ra Riot would be a cool show too.

KH Vandread
Sea Post King

skylitveil wrote:
Margot & the Nuclear So and So's.

/thread

I was kinda thinking about that just the other day.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>