Laughing City

If invited to play should they accept, and would you attend?
yes and yes
57%
 57%  [ 24 ]
yes and no
26%
 26%  [ 11 ]
no and yes
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
no and no
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 42

keithabbott
Sea Post King

In this day and age of being a musician in an industry that's just trying to stay afloat financially, this would be a no-brainer even if only for part of the tour. This would be a way of getting a huge amount of exposure in a demographic that's largely been untapped by this band in my opinion. This could lead to additional revenue that this band could certainly use.
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

Well, boyd said that they're looking at a late fall release. If it actually happens around that time, I'll be shocked, because WB procrastinates too much when it comes to Eisley. I'm hoping that everything will stay on track though and it will release by the end of the year.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:
I just figured Throwing Muses has been more off the radar than the ones I brought up, cause they all have albums due, or already out in the last 6 months (save for Bjork and Feist, who are ubiquitous at this point).

Kristin Hersch, Tanya Donelly, Jill Cunniff (Luscious Jackson), and Jill Sobule, are all still active on the indie side of things (LJ was supposed to get back together and tour and do a kids album, but I heard nothing of it) but very low profile otherwise, so I just went for names I know still get press, and thus would make sense that they would get booked for the tour to have reliable draw. That's just my twisted logic.

And I gotta admit, I never did get fully into Throwing Muses and Kristin cause they pulled her stuff out of the BMG and Columbia House catalogs around 97' or so and I never was able to get it from them, and thus did without and moved on to other artists. Same thing happened with L7, I should go back and dig that stuff up I guess?

I've become a fan of Hersh's solo stuff - over the last few years I've liked it better than the the stuff she did with the Muses, I think.
...you must be talking about back before 4AD got US distribution- that was early days, wasn't it. Yeah - that is a stoke of marketing genius- to only be out on import in your own country.
- but maybe she just comes to mind because they are labelmates of Eisley's--- on the label Eisley should have been on, that is! Wink
(unless maybe they had ended up on matador, perhaps- that would be acceptable)

I'd completely forgotten about Luscious Jackson- I'd love to hear something come of a reunion... they were good.
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:

And I gotta admit, I never did get fully into Throwing Muses and Kristin cause they pulled her stuff out of the BMG and Columbia House catalogs around 97' or so and I never was able to get it from them, and thus did without and moved on to other artists. Same thing happened with L7, I should go back and dig that stuff up I guess?

Throwing Muses are definitely worth exploring. Nobody sounds like Kristin, plus you get a dash of Tanya Donelly up through the revered The Real Ramona although my favorite is its predecessor Hunkpapa. And don't forget 50 Foot Wave, great hard rock action. In fact you can listen to or download a bunch of stuff HERE. (FYI this is an officially sanctioned web hosting partner, not some dodgy Russian site, check the link in the top RH corner for more info.) Listen to the opening song of either EP and you'll be able to tell pretty quickly whether it's for you. "Bug" and "Hot Pink, Distorted" are two of my favorite Kristin songs and make me think how many bands have forgotten how to rock in comparison.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

BA BA BA BUUUUUMMMP!!!
BA BA BA BUUUUUMMMP!!!
( to the tune of Beethoven's 5th folks )

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/12/10/lilith-fair -returning-in-2010-with-blige-crow-tegan-and-sara/

"It’s been more than 10 years since Sarah McLachlan’s lady-friendly Lilith Fair went the way of the dodo after three successful, successive summers, and for months now, we’ve been hearing rumors that the fest would be back in ‘10, with McLachlan once again anchoring the bill.

Well, the rumors were right on, and not only is Lilith Fair coming back, it’s coming back in a huge way, blending all musical styles. Mary J. Blige, Sheryl Crow, Colbie Caillat, and Erykah Badu have all been confirmed for the 2010 installment, along with Tegan and Sara, Emmylou Harris, Sara Bareilles, the Weepies, Miranda Lambert, Metric, Indigo Girls, Ke$ha and A Fine Frenzy.

Dates will be revealed in the coming months. Lilith’s last run, in 1999, featured Luscious Jackson, the Dixie Chicks, Suzanne Vega, the Pretenders, Indigo Girls, Dido, Cibo Matto, and others.

“Being a part of Lilith Fair was inspiring on so many levels. Besides discovering new music everyday and sharing the stage with an incredible array of talented women, it was wonderful to see established and new artists alike have the opportunity to play in front of much larger or more diverse audiences than usual,” McLachlan says.

Ingrid Michaelson, Brandi Carlile, Chantal Kreviazuk, and Corinne Bailey Rae are also on the Lilith lineup.

“Magic happens when you bring this many artistic women together,” says Badu. “I’ll never forget the frequency and energy that I felt that first time I performed at Lilith. Between the sistas on stage and those in the audience, it was powerful!”

Tegan and Sara played a single date on the last Lilith, and are excited and proud to be returning for the whole trek. “The impact of Lilith Fair was felt all over the world, and its significance still resonates with women and the music industry itself 10 years later. We are proud to be a part of it again and are truly excited that Lilith is back,” the duo add."

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Dan and Sam
Golly, Poster

I'll keep it short .... YESSSSSSSS Wink Definitely!
Mims
Golly, Poster

Vedera's facebook said they were invited and are playing.

"We just received news that we are invited to play the 2010 Lillith Fair this Summer! We're so honored and excited to play a festival with such amazing musical guests. We hope to see everyone there!"
Joined: 03 Jun 2006 | Posts: 617 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Mr. Green Love Mr. Green Halfway there!

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

They're missing the Gossip and a reunited S-K, and then there will be nothing that can keep me from attending.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

That was my dissatisfaction with the first Liliths, too many introspective acoustic balladeers and not close to enough rock action. But still and all, I think the festival is a good thing.
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

If Tegan and Sara are on the bill, than Eisley should definitely give it a shot! They're label mates now, and I'm sure a lot of T&S fans would get into Eisley once they heard them!
woman4life
Golly, Poster

I have mixed feelings, but I doubt I'd go to Lilith Fair. But then I don't have to worry since I doubt it will be anywhere close anyway.

On the other hand, not sure I totally agree with this (somewhat unrelated topic):
"I just don't see Fleetwood Mac being able to bridge a generation gap that exists."
My 25 year old daughter really likes Fleetwood Mac. I've talked to quite a few younger people that do. Depends on "which generation" I suppose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Cendrillon
Golly, Poster

Wait, where is this happening? It sounds like it could be good. I wonder what the atmosphere would be like.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

woman4life wrote:
I have mixed feelings, but I doubt I'd go to Lilith Fair. But then I don't have to worry since I doubt it will be anywhere close anyway.

On the other hand, not sure I totally agree with this (somewhat unrelated topic):
"I just don't see Fleetwood Mac being able to bridge a generation gap that exists."
My 25 year old daughter really likes Fleetwood Mac. I've talked to quite a few younger people that do. Depends on "which generation" I suppose.

I'm not sure if I meant Eisley having fans half my age (33) and younger and Fleetwood Mac coming off to them as a band they can like or "Their Parent's/ Grandparent's Music aka Oldies". On the other hand I have friends my age who are Ageist as all get out, and down any band "out of their heyday" as cashing in (some do) and probably not "having IT" any more. Not saying that's everyone one I know, but a prevailing opinion I hear, and it shows up in the press, at least until after the tours, if they go over well.

Maybe I was taking a dig at hipsters who dog unironic appreciation for 70s and 80s pop rock? And yes, maybe I'm underestimating the Mac... Embarassed

Christie McVie being out of the group is a down though, I'll admit that.

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Now how can a hat be ironic?

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere