Laughing City
golly_sandra
Vintage Newbie

I won't knock you on your post, as you are free to say what you will. Not everyone is going to bow down to them, and that's perfectly fine. However, the fact that they put so much information out there and have not so great shows every once in a while seems to differentiate them from the rest. Don't you feel like you have a closer bond with this band than any of the others? Personally, I appreciate that. I think Eisley should just keep doing what they're doing. Don't change for anyone.
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

hmmn....with the amount of things you got wrong in that post and the amount of things you assumed and stated as fact, apparently we are not open enough for you to understand our world. Confused
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

A little terminology from Interpersonal Communication:

Blurting - the unprompted and inappropriate sharing of personal or informal information in a formal or professional environment.

^
That is not what happens here. This is a blog, this is not a site hosted on WB's corporate page. This is not forced on the fans, on their splash page/ index you only get small intros at best. This is a voluntary line of communication, on their terms and we have all accepted them. What do you do when a conversation gets too personal?? You break it off. It's Particularly Easier to do that on line where every user has control, unless there is an Eisley-bot that is sitting on our drives waiting to pull us back to a thread about how hard it is to shower out on tour...

anyways, as far as blogs go, here's some perspective from an article I read a year or so ago when I was using mine to vent and mourn a personal pain...

Your blog can be group therapy

* Story Highlights
* Report: Some 12 million people have a blog; many use it for groupt herapy
* Experts: Blogging shouldn't replace face-to-face counseling
* Study: Men blog about politics, technology and money
* Study: Women tend to blog more about private lives

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/personal/05/07/blog.therapy/index.html

give it a read, it re-frames the whole practice of blogging in a more clinical way, that I found pretty helpful.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
boyd
Eisleyoid

Agree with your post on many levels. Truth can hurt but we've been embracing it. Feel better? Refuse to give you real behind the scene info about the business world of eisley. There are things you guys know nothing about. Still, we've said too much... fine. Apologies for being too transparent. Vulnerability obviously has a downside. Past 1.5 years has been $#@!... on so many levels. Much recovery during past 6 months but you can't assume things have been in the "on" position over here. There were moments where many were ready to abort.

But no one is sitting around whining. Quite the opposite. i admit - nearly losing a loved one has a way of causing me (personally) to lower the walls i guess. In the future, no more peeling back the deep layers. The whole world is twittering every thing they do these days. Smile It can get nauseating, I know... but truthfully - "mystique" is not one of this band's brand attributes. We've been posting on a personal level since way before the Coldplay tour. Try Taking Back Sunday. Huge band. Lot's of mystique over there. Perfect shows too. Go check their youtube clips. Confused

To my knowledge, there have been no official platforms discussed. Everyone has their own grid. That part of your post sucked. Glad your business is doing well. Seriously. btw - We've never taken a nickel from BrewTones (venue/coffee house)... we give all the money to starving bands. You'd be surprised to know how many bands you think are loaded are struggling to pay rent. I'm not talking about local acts.

But yes... working hard on all areas and making huge progress. Much enthusiasm over the new record... by Fall, when everything begins, it'll be a different world.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Shocked

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

piperjay23 wrote:

I think the Baylor show was the culmination of the greater challenges with Eisley in their current form. Poor sound, rusty, not well-rehearsed, weak stage presence, etc. Yes, the new songs are very good. Yes, hearing and seeing Eisley live again was great. But after such a long layoff with a highly anticipated one-off, don't you think they should have been MUCH better prepared?

Am I the only person who went to that show that thought it was great? Razz
Most people on this forum know I am very straightfoward when it comes to their live shows. they are one of my favorite bands, but if the show was bad I'm gonna say so. I've also made comments in the past about my concern for sherri's technique in live performance as it could've damaged her vocal chords.
that said, her voice had a completely different quality to it at the Baylor show, I thought the girls' voices sounded refreshed and lovely, and despite the technical aspects of the show, their musicianship has improved by leaps and bounds!

on top of everything else, they were as chatty as i've ever seen, so I can't wait to go to another show...honestly, I used to go to them with the sole purpose of hoping to see improvement. they've made the effort to get better, and I noticed more mention of practicing for this show than in the 5 years i've been a fan.

and don't talk about their health insurance/financial situation on their forum. how tacky.

argh
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

I didn't hear any glaring mistakes in the new songs, other than a false start. Big deal.

If you think it's easy to play live music, think again. Here's U2 playing a song on Letterman live. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STUgYK_rHSM

U2 = professionals. Letterman = big-time gig. But Bono forgot the lyrics at one point. Check out 3:44 in the video. He's supposed to sing:

Justified, till we die
You and I will magnify
The Magnificent.

He gets the lines confused, and sings:

Justified, You and I,
Till [garbled because he realized he messed it up] magnify
The Magnificent.

And in fact, here's a YouTube clip somebody helpfully made of a bunch of U2 errors in live concerts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZhCDYw1Z80

So if U2, one of the longest running bands in the business, still manages to screw it up in major performances, I'd suggest that maybe you're being unfair to think that Eisley can always be perfect. Eisley is certainly better than the vast majority of "professional" bands at having singers who are on pitch live.

Last edited by StuartBuck on Wed May 06, 2009 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Oh, just dig up U2 playing beautiful day at the Grammys, where Edge hits the wrong note near the end and Bono shoots him this VILE look,he mentioned it in an interview on 60 minutes I think around that time, hilarious!

I think this is it here, unless it was on another awards show and I'm mixing it up with the Grammys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJy0zH0Ca7M

@ 4:07

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

StuartBuck wrote:

And in fact, here's a YouTube clip somebody helpfully made of a bunch of U2 errors in live concerts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZhCDYw1Z80

OMG @ 1:15 Shocked Laughing

StuartBuck
Sea Post King

Are you talking about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPmr_zjfaXs

I didn't see the evil look. But that's yet another example of Bono singing the wrong lyric: see 3:12 and following (he sang "I know I'm not a hopeless case" too early, and then was just silent at 3:22).

What distinguishes pros from everyone else isn't that they never screw up. It's that most of the time (if the screwup isn't too bad, like falling off the stage), they can just keep going and get back on track, without letting the whole song fall apart.

StuartBuck
Sea Post King

boyd wrote:
Still, we've said too much... fine. Apologies for being too transparent. Vulnerability obviously has a downside.

Don't pay this guy any mind. One of the coolest things about the Eisley crew is that y'all are so much more accessible and real than other bands.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

StuartBuck wrote:
Are you talking about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPmr_zjfaXs

I didn't see the evil look. But that's yet another example of Bono singing the wrong lyric: see 3:12 and following (he sang "I know I'm not a hopeless case" too early, and then was just silent at 3:22).

^ Yeah, I dug it up after my initial post and came back with the edit only to see your assist after the fact, thanks.

I think the interview was 2/20/2001 60 Minutes II Broadcast * 1 - info I pulled form a U2 archivers list of stuff he had. Can't track it down though. It was either from that or a Talk show appearance, but I think it was that.

BTW, are we changing the subject??? I think we are, and on some level I feel like it's the normal human thing to do, and that's kinda funny since we're on the impersonal internet and all...

So Yeah, back to U2, they sure are funny, that compilation you had didn't have the video of them getting stuck in the Giant Lemon for 20 minutes either, that was Kurazyness!!

...back on topic

Okay, since I was the lucky one stuck inbetween a unilateral declaration of righteous indignation from The Proprietors of this particular piece of real estate, let me be the first to say:

This thread shoulda been locked after Boyd said his piece, and it wasn't... that... is graciousness manifest. My tomfoolery that followed seems pretty trite in retrospect.

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

It's rather fallacious to equate technical proficiency with a lack of musicality. It's just the opposite in fact. Technical proficiency allows you to forgot about the notes and rhythms, and focus completely on your own musicality and how it relates to whatever group you are playing in. "We all make mistakes" doesn't justify continuing to make them. Every time I make a mistake in a concert, I notice it instantly and remember whatever I did wrong. When people come up after the concert and compliment you on how well you play, you just smile and say thank you. But, the part inside of you that wants to become a better musician keeps going over all the things you did wrong and how you can improve. Musicianship isn't a line that you need to cross to become professional, it's a direction you need to constantly be heading.

The original poster said plenty of things he probably shouldn't have said, and the band never asked for any critique. But, a musician should never have to settle for "good" enough. You'll never fully eliminate mistakes from your performances, but you can move towards perfection.

I realize things are a bit different in the academic music world, but the same principles apply in pop music.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

The fact that they host these forums at all, and don't just delete posts from the occasional people who show up to make personal attacks, is classy indeed.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
It's rather fallacious to equate technical proficiency with a lack of musicality. It's just the opposite in fact. Technical proficiency allows you to forgot about the notes and rhythms, and focus completely on your own musicality and how it relates to whatever group you are playing in. "We all make mistakes" doesn't justify continuing to make them. Every time I make a mistake in a concert, I notice it instantly and remember whatever I did wrong. When people come up after the concert and compliment you on how well you play, you just smile and say thank you. But, the part inside of you that wants to become a better musician keeps going over all the things you did wrong and how you can improve. Musicianship isn't a line that you need to cross to become professional, it's a direction you need to constantly be heading.

The original poster said plenty of things he probably shouldn't have said, and the band never asked for any critique. But, a musician should never have to settle for "good" enough. You'll never fully eliminate mistakes from your performances, but you can move towards perfection.

I realize things are a bit different in the academic music world, but the same principles apply in pop music.

I totally get where you're coming from, as a performer, and running sound and recording I'm totally keen on all that. I guess, my comments regarding imperfections were unclear. I'm not promoting mediocrity or settling for performing at some level. I'm all for refinement, but to lambaste about things that aren't always in the performers control is misguided.

There were reasons why Fiona Apple used to trot off stage disenchanted. The practice/ rehearsal room is a controlled environment, Outdoor Shows are absolutely not. Something as simple as Temperature Humidity can cause all kinds of havoc with staying in tune and the action on stringed instruments, as well as the performance of Tube Amps, for starters.

The ambient sound changes constantly in open air venues, and these things cause technical issues, that can and will affect performance. Natural echo can throw timing completely off. Crowd noise can render monitoring ineffective. These things can be overcome, but they will change the timber of a performance, but that doesn't equate to a band not having practiced enough. There is no real "Danger Room" for bands, you just have to play the shows and adapt live.

So, I took offense that a musicians work ethic can be questioned because a performance doesn't go off without a hitch. I think that's insulting to musicians and performers in general. That's like saying it's Randy Johnson's fault that Dove flew in the path of his fastball.