Laughing City
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, but U2's got the advantage of nearly 30 years in "perfecting" their act, not to mention the fact that Bono has as ego the size of Russia, which can make for a more "entertaining" stage presence.
kathymunster
Golly, Poster

i don't get the relevance of mentioning their lack of health insurance to wanting to give 'constructive criticism' to them as a band.
i dont see how them being 'too open' really goes against them as band with performance.
and i don't know why you called it constructive criticism when you just gave a laundry list of faults you wanted to point out and told them something along the lines of "you need to improve"

i don't know, maybe i'm just biased because i disagree with a lot of what you posted.

-Mae West
lessthaninfinite
Sea Post King

I'm actually going to disagree with what a lot of you have been saying about accessibility and putting every thing out there, because personally, I love that they do that. I mean, of course the most important thing is the music, because ultimately that's why I'm interested in these people in the first place. But to me, the blogs and the Facebooks and everything else make it feel like, in a way, I'm a part of it all. I mean, obviously I'm not, but because of a lot of these things I feel much more connected with and more invested in Eisley and their music than with any other band.
Retrovertigo
Sea Post King

This is ridiculous.
sebas
Golly, Poster

inertiac wrote:
texas republicans?
ewwwwwww

Laughing

They're probably my favorite "texas republicans", though.

Someone tell the OP to stop being a poopie faced Debbie downer. The entire Eisley family could live in cardboard boxes, play music with 5 peso wooden mexican toy guitars, and change their genre to power metal and I would still $#@! love them.

-Mahatma, Gandhi
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
Cleveland sucks!

Laughing Used to be referred to as the mistake on the lake, but the city has really cleaned up nicely over the last decade or so. Don't you know, Cleveland ROCKS! Laughing

http://www.youtube.com./watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
Cleveland sucks!

Laughing Used to be referred to as the mistake on the lake, but the city has really cleaned up nicely over the last decade or so. Don't you know, Cleveland ROCKS! Laughing

http://www.youtube.com./watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM
Mr. Green

and this for good measure!

http://www.youtube.com./watch?v=b-5G3OBKR3Y

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
TheClassicRomance
Sea Post King

At Eisley- Keep doing everything you're doing! We love you!!
Last edited by TheClassicRomance on Thu May 07, 2009 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
TheClassicRomance
Sea Post King

mikep0922 wrote:
Ever since I signed on to Laughing City, it's never ceased to amaze me at how hospitable the DuPree's have been! They share not only their musical passions but their lives with us. I've always been touched and grateful of that! In fact it makes me feel quite proud! It's as if Kim and Boyd have invited us, literally, as guest into their home! That being the case, the original posters' remarks were not only uncalled for and inappropriate, but extremely ill mannered! I can't help but feel personally affronted by them!

YES! AGREED!

Why can I never say anything as gracefully as other people? This is exactly how I feel!
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

TheClassicRomance wrote:

I'm just going to say that one of the reasons I love Eisley so much is the fact that they are comfortable enough and friendly enough with their fans to share things about themselves and their lives.I think,if anything, it shows maturity. They are getting away from the petulant "That's my life! This is just my music." rockstar thing. I love that about them. I'm truly interested in their lives,and unlike some people, I don't judge them about what they do. I think the entire family has handled their problems with grace.

I'm not sure how Stacy feels now, but she made it pretty clear a time ago that she would like more boundaries.

The first real post from Stacy.
November 26, 2005 10:41 PM

I always come to a scramble when
I meet this journal thing.
I think of all things at once, I think of telling You
exactly Who i am. But then, that's the last thing i'd
want you to know. And I mean that.
I think about discussing music,
But then...that is just Everything.
I am really a personal person and music is how
i choose to express myself. In patterns, not in primitive
words or biography trailings of journal entries.
If you could look into my head, you would probably see
a few of the following things.
A merry go round, A cannon, and a small planet.
The merry go round is my life and thoughts.
The cannon represents my Aspirations and goals.
And the small planet is You. Or "Earth" rather, and it is
a pretty amazing place to be.
Everything floats in my head you must know,things of actual meaning
and things of a shard nature, just flecks and sparks.
There are so many things i'd love to share with everyone, but
none of which really have anything to do with ME or my
personal existence, and that is why i have a bit of trouble with
this journal. or anything to do with me personally, i just think
it is out of the question. So i will try to post whenever
something astounding comes to mind. Like popcorn
floating down a river, or frozen aliens. Anything more
interesting than "Today I had a Wheat Bagel with Blackberry Jam"
Although that may be what you wish to hear. For I do admit i am aware of your followings of pitiful hair changes, relationship break ups, and spinal disapprovals. But all of that stuff speaks or doesn't speak for itself. And so we should leave them at that. But I encourage You to be open to Art in Itself rather then to a form or familiararity, or to who Eisley is individually, because You will honestly never know the answer to that more than I myself. But I hope you continue to listen to what We have to offer as far as music and words go. And I hope Some of this made sense to You.

In all sincerity, Stacy.

I want you to know me in the right way.
Nothing surface. Nothing glammy, Only in complex,
Only in honesty.

For all of you who didn't have a chance to read this when it came out, someone actually shot Stacy a nasty PM about how this was disrespectful to her fans.

Personally, I like the idea that the DuPrees can quickly address questions about tours, recording dates, tv performances, lyrics, et cetera--which is the reason why I joined in the first place. However, I could've lived a lifetime without knowing that Chauntelle, Sherri, Weston, and Stacy were all born over 8lbs. I also couldn't care less about who they're dating, if Sherri dyes her hair red, or if Weston's befriends an extraterrestrial.

Moreover, there are consequences for being so open. It gives fans the false perception that they are closer to the band than they really are. Again for people that remember, Andrew (Granpaturtle) made an off friendly joke about a picture Sherri posted. Apparently she didn't think it was funny at all. And he hasn't been on here for years.

The only good thing I can think of that comes from being open beyond a relevant business/music sense is PR/damage control. For all of Eisley's meager popularity they've drawn the ire of too many internet rumors/misconceptions/scandals to list.

BTW: I hate this "If you don't tell me about where you went last night, you're a ROCKSTAR!" (*gasp*) Really? If you're not comfortable telling complete strangers about your private business, you're some sort of egotistical jerk? Right... OK...

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ Your making sense, I dig everything, but want to tag this thought on to it:

Blogs are really in progress Biographies as far as the more forthcoming performers I follow go. Biographies have always sold well because they give the person who patrons them a little more back story and in some cases, personal insight. Songs can serve the same purpose, and I guess earlier on Eisley songs weren't as transparent as they seem to be now. So, we read about them now, instead of in 15 years. They don't have to do it, but in doing my journalism, one thing I found is that, as much as some artists enjoy complete privacy, others find the lifestyle of a performer very isolating. They feel alienated in some cases because people struggle to relate to them as normal people with normal lives and problems. Blogging helps engender a deeper sense of humanity for some of these artists, a chance to really put who they are out there in a way songs sometimes fail to. It not a requirement of anyone, but for others it seems to encourage them. You're right though, it's not for everyone, and no one should come to expect it, or feel obligated to do it, but it's not wrong to do it either. It's between the artist and their audience.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

This really has nothing to do with what is being said now. But what was said a few pages ago.

I would be sad if this thread got locked or deleted (outside of it being caused by a breach of policy)

Because, even though I disagree with everything the OP has said. he still has a right to say it. and it is really a good discussion on the line between fan and band. where it is proper to critique and where it is not.

my personal take. critique the music is fine. critiquing the person is not fine.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4's post has a broader relevance - that of day to day conversation.
A basic example would be that I don't reveal what I had for breakfast to my lecturer.
A more subtle one is that I don't tell my innermost feelings about everything to everyone who asks me the question "how are you?"

Think about your conversations today amongst peers, and what information you disclosed and what you with-held. We have certain boundaries - whether forced or natural. Sometimes we say to ourselves that I don't need to share such and such an information (lecture/breakfast), where-as othertimes it would simply feel uncomfortable.

You say what you say to who you say it to and what you need to say in the way you need to say it to whoever you need to say it to.

Quite possibly atrocious use of the English lexicon, but it makes sense!

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

I agree, Mr. Pine. Like I said, I believe it comes from being too emotionally invested. We've likely all been there to a certain extent, be it with Eisley or something else we really like, but if I had the chance to speak with someone I didn't know on a personal level, who I felt dropped the ball, in person, would I go on a rant about why I felt they did that and advise them on what to change to further prevent my discontentment? No, even if I had my own ideas, it wouldn't be appropriate. Knowing that saying it on the internet would prevent me from fully feeling the extent of their reaction doesn't make it any more appropriate. And I'm not even saying this towards the OP, but I've seen posts like this before, and not just about Eisley.

Maybe blogging does blur the fan/band line, but I don't believe it's solely responsible for peoples' reactions. Those people need to take responsibility and realize no one is forcing them to click on the Journals link or pay attention to another member's posts, who just happens to be the mom of most of the band. It's kind of like when stalkers try to blame their victim because he or she supposedly enticed them. Maybe Eisley shouldn't wear booty shorts around town, but if they want to, they don't deserve having some creep peer through their windows as a consequence! Wink

---

I also agree that their "drama" is seemingly more popular than their music, which is pretty unfortunate. A lot of people know the band as those girls who had previous relationships with JL/CG/AL/that guy from Paramore/Hayley's boyfriend's ex, etc. etc., but I think that has less to do with them over-sharing, and more to do with their ex-boyfriends/fiances/husbands respective fanbases. I didn't pay much attention to Eisley on the web prior to seeing them open for Brand New, but I have a hard time believing people were hacking Photobuckets and e-stalking the band's/Sherri's every move prior to her relationship with Jesse Lacey. Brand New's fanbase is incredibly, borderline psychotically obsessed with him, which brought about a lot of defamation or subsequent obsession with her, which is really when all the e-drama started.

And as far as I remember, Jesse never outright confirmed their relationship, and I don't think Sherri was endlessly sharing every detail either, yet somehow people know or think they know he proposed to her, and have pictures saved to their computer of her cuddling with him or hanging out in a tree fort thing. A lot of those people consider themselves Eisley fans, but they were fans of Jesse first and there aren't many relatively popular musicians as isolated as him. Even if he doesn't give an interview for a year, you better believe if people have to go through his tour manager or his siblings, they'll find a way to find out what he's been up to. If all else fails, they'll just make $#@! up. Laughing

What I'm saying is that I don't believe preventing fans from knowing trivial stuff like their birth-weights is necessarily a cure-all or cure at all for people believing they have some kind relationship with the band, if he or she is already "that kind of person" to begin with. I would think, if anything, it would prevent a good number of them from wanting to know more and taking certain measures to achieve what they want to know.

I also completely agree with the sentiment of not updating strangers daily ≠ rock star mentality. Fans should never feel entitled to know anything about bands - that's just something that pop culture has ingrained into people's heads because a lot of mainstream acts can't rely on the music alone to appeal to the listeners.

And this thread shouldn't be locked, at least at this point, even in the poster requests it. Not that I think they would, but really, what is with that policy? I think you guys need to run the forum differently, starting off with...I mean, what? And I'm only half-kidding...Wink

TL:DR? Probably... Smile

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

^^^agreed.

And, let's be honest here. Is it really "their" personal business or just Sherri's that gets intruded more often than not?

I mean we have heard of stacy and chauntelles relationships and what not, but not on the scale of sherri. through no fault of her own mind you.

I agree with what you said too that it seems, to me atleast, to be perpetrated by the male she is in a relationship with's fan base. and not eisleys.

if she were to marry joe the plumber instead of joe rock star. no one would even notice. again, this is no fault of her own. (in so much as I am not saying that, like you said as well, she deserves this for dating someone famous).

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube