Laughing City
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:
^ I was the "some dude" I was given props to, shoulda posted it in Shameless I guess Confused

I got that, I was commiserating with you about finding ourselves on the wrong side of fashion around here (apparently)

wilsmith wrote:

I didn't have a Dog, and I had the cd, so I've got the opposite opinion of the cd, and the more that I think about it, the more The Valley and the Return or Saturn are paralleling to me, as far as the eb & flow of energy and melancholy with the tracks. That's seriously got me tripping right now, a little to surreal to consider seriously.

I don't pick up the same kind of melancholy on the Valley at all. There's too much perspective there. Real melancholy requires loss of perspective.

Good catch though. Full album of break up fallout in both cases (X3 in the case of the Valley, of course). And in being truly artful first full headlong, self-aware forrays into the pop idiom (after somewhat haphazard prior explorations).
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Distant relatives as opposed to separated at birth. When I think of Simple Kind of Life, Magic's in the Make-up, and especially Too Late that's the best approximation of melancholy. Glen Ballard was involved, and he's about as subtle as a vintage Batmobile, but oh well, I don't know, I need to listen to that record cause it's been years and maybe I got it all wrong?

One thing's for sure, Sherri seems to have a good sense of how to get-over-herself and the songs don't seem to have the wealth of self-pity that were in the No Doubt songs, which weren't as Woe is me throughout, but yeah, Simple Kind of Life was borderline pathetic, with pretty slick production to mask the depressing nature of the song. And here we are, 13 years later and she's a hardcore, Global Spokesmodel Fashionista

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:

One thing's for sure, Sherri seems to have a good sense of how to get-over-herself and the songs don't seem to have the wealth of self-pity that were in the No Doubt songs, which weren't as Woe is me throughout, but yeah,

That whole album was proselytizing self-pity from front to back. Nice music in its day, but not cheery. I'm still not getting that kind of despondence on the Valley.

But I haven't heard it for a long time either, so...

Here's another one though:
Ex Girlfriend = Smarter
Cousins, right... definitely not twins, but...

Wilsmith wrote:

nd here we are, 13 years later and she's a hardcore, Global Spokesmodel Fashionista

In her 40's too. We should all age so well.
Not the sort of thing that usually gets one elevated as a paragon of artistic integrity, but its her thing... never been able to begrudge her for some reason. Call it hypocrisy

...and I could obnoxiously hijack this thread so much better if the server would stop timing out. Is Eisley being ddos'd?
Last edited by inorbit on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Jared x
Lost at Forum

You know, I actually like listening to the album in reverse order... It almost seems to tell a story better -- the glaringly odd song out being Kind in the midst of it all.
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

Kind.

I get the same feeling after listening to this song that I get after watching a really really good movie.

moonlightgaze
Sea Post King

cynlovescandy wrote:
Kind.

I get the same feeling after listening to this song that I get after watching a really really good movie.

I get the same feeling as well! I love the string ensemble so much.

I loved the acoustic version of Please, and it took a little while for the record version to grow on me, but it's become one of my favorites. I love it when the drums kick in, and the backing vocals - the uh uh uh oohs in the background when Sherri sings the "And he tells me he's unfaithful.../he's faithful" parts.

The piano in Watch It Die is lovely and Chauntelle's vocals, wow, glorious. I also like the vocal overlap when Stacy sings "So I caught you in a lie singin' hheeey (Oh no you don't), I'll never be what you waant, no (That's plain to see)"

The lyrics for I Wish, just everything about that song is so good.

The guitar on Better Love, Sad, and Smarter, so awesome.

I always love the little characters Sherri creates in her songs (or I'm assuming she wrote/created them: Queen of Leaves, Mr. Pine, Sea King, Marsh King's Daughter) and Mr. Moon is another. It's such a sad yet determined sounding song. "It's where I belong without youuuuuu". The guitar also rocks on this song.

Each song has it's own little parts that I love! This album flows so beautifully. Definitely worth the wait!
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

"Better Love" is actually a fun song to work out to! Nice and upbeat, I ran to it on the treadmill today Very Happy
drowningsea
Sea Post King

kLafied wrote:
"Better Love" is actually a fun song to work out to! Nice and upbeat, I ran to it on the treadmill today Very Happy

Hey I did the elliptical listening to some of the new songs and I agree!
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

#1 The Valley. Loved it 16 months ago and still do.

#2 Oxygen Mask. Achingly beautiful.

#3 Sad. Best straightforward Eisley rock song.

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Just heard the bonus tracks:

Said I couldn't pick a favorite- well-
new favorite- maybe favorite track of the last decade:
Bonus version of Kind.

If you haven't heard it yet, stop what you are doing right now, get hold of it any way you can, play it on the best equipment at your disposal, and savor it.

The album version fits with the vibe of the album in its Disney-like quality (although I did take a couple of listens to get used to the additional strings), and in its context is very nice, but stripped down, guitar and keys, voices is something else entirely. Otherworldly.

If anyone comes along and wants to license that one (and frankly, who wouldn't), I hope Eisley gets a LOT of money for it.

I'm REALLY hoping that when they headline tour for this album, the ditch the tracking and play it this way.

The other very pleasant surprise was, believe it or not, the acoustic Smarter- haunting!
redandstripey
Sea Post King

I still love The Valley, despite many many (many) listens before the album came out.
Better Love and Oxygen Mask are current favourites.
Joined: 08 Aug 2007 | Posts: 158 | Location: Northern Ireland
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
Just heard the bonus tracks:

Said I couldn't pick a favorite- well-
new favorite- maybe favorite track of the last decade:
Bonus version of Kind.

If you haven't heard it yet, stop what you are doing right now, get hold of it any way you can, play it on the best equipment at your disposal, and savor it.

The album version fits with the vibe of the album in its Disney-like quality (although I did take a couple of listens to get used to the additional strings), and in its context is very nice, but stripped down, guitar and keys, voices is something else entirely. Otherworldly.

If anyone comes along and wants to license that one (and frankly, who wouldn't), I hope Eisley gets a LOT of money for it.

I'm REALLY hoping that when they headline tour for this album, the ditch the tracking and play it this way.

The other very pleasant surprise was, believe it or not, the acoustic Smarter- haunting!

I haven't had a teary-eyed moment for this record, and probably won't, because it's such a Victory, but... The first time We All heard kind, it was in the fashion you're talking about, guitar (Garron), keys and vocals from the live show, and as jaded and disenchanted as I was at that time, and detached as I am now, that initial performance, that particular arrangement, it did that Grinch thing to me...

So yeah, any song that can make a person who wants nothing to do with romantic love empathize with a song detailing what it feels like to be caught up in it's rapture, is a brilliant piece of work. If it doesn't take off on this record, Expect Someone in Nashville to scoop that BadBoy up and Cover it Pronto! Knowing Nashville, they'll probably do it BEFORE Eisley gets a chance to decide what They want to do with it.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:
[
The first time We All heard kind, it was in the fashion you're talking about, guitar (Garron), keys and vocals from the live show,

I liked it a lot the first time I heard it, but I think that was one of the youtube uploads from the Baylor show, and I think I remember tracked strings on that one. This bonus one is more minimalistic than I remember that one being, which, for this song, is potently effective.

wilsmith wrote:

If it doesn't take off on this record, Expect Someone in Nashville to scoop that BadBoy up and Cover it Pronto! Knowing Nashville, they'll probably do it BEFORE Eisley gets a chance to decide what They want to do with it.

That would be my expectation. I think that was one of my first responses to it too, in fact.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

No Strings At All, just a nice Rhodes sounding run, and a bad chord at the beginning of the song Wink

Now you know why you like the acoustic version so much, it's what you remember, without remembering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAnmkrzScRc&

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I just downloaded it off Amazon this morning. I'll listen to it during my jog this morning, and hopefully provide some impressions after.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>