21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
I'm not feeling it at all.
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

When the lead guitar came in I before all the hammers and pulls, the first two notes immediately made my think of Joshua Tree-era - Actung Baby Midtempo U2 singles. The Drumming has a lot more energy though, it's more War-era Larry Mullen, but as a whole I'm not really feeling it. But shucks, the only 1st singles of Coldplay's I've ever liked a Lot were In My Place & Violet Hill Their album tracks have always made the difference and won me over though, so I'm hopeful. I would dump Eno after this though...

Oh yeah the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kf_6BWcOOg&

After you hear the opening notes the art for the single will make total sense. The color progression and artistic evolution of the band has be fun to watch unfold. Blurry photography, blurred digital image, basic multicolored pixelated code with a Navy base, Victorian mural with blue overtones, impressionistic graffiti mural.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I really like it. The intro turned me off, but when it really kicked in it was all good. A very suitable progression from Viva La Vida. I think they're on the right track.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Just went back to relisten...

How does a youtube video have 5000+ likes, 400+ dislikes, but only 301 Views Confused Question

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:

How does a youtube video have 5000+ likes, 400+ dislikes, but only 301 Views Confused Question
now at 135k.

the song is just kinda meh for me. then again, it sounded really muddled on my phone. the first verse reminded me of recent rivers cuomo type lyrics.

Last edited by bigideas on Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Sprocket
Vintage Newbie

oh gosh - sounds like 90s dance, lyrics and all, played on an acoustic guitar!

EDIT: Oh and then U2 guitars!

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Where did Chris Martin get that range? He sang a lovely A4 in full voice. He used to struggle with an F4.

Must be practicing, it sounds good.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Apart from the drums, which are straight up "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (only happy!), I'm not hearing the U2 at all--which is kind of a first, because I can usually pick out half a dozen things in a given Coldplay song that they stole from U2. But I am hearing renewed confirmation that my love for Johnny Buckland is not misplaced. Any day he plays high on the neck is a good day. Very Happy

And yeah, Chris sounds great, which just makes me wish more that they hadn't doubled his vocals. As recording tricks go, I'm really getting tired of that one. He sounds strong enough without it. Same goes for the last Murder By Death album; Adam Turla's voice is so delicious on its own, messing with it is just distracting.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I'm thinking he's gotten his Wind down finally, cause as reedy as it can be, in his head voice he's always surprised me. It took listening to people who were fans of Freddy Mercury for me to realize that the only thing holding back a lot of Falsetto singers from tapping into their upper register while singing from their throat or diaphragm is Breathing & control. Freddy Mercury was one of the few Operatic Rock singers that wasn't an over the top metal guy, or fixated on always singing in his upper register alone. When his style caught on again I finally understood and "got it". Control Control Control, Wind Wind Wind.

When they did Billy Jean on the Viva tour it was the best vocals I'd heard Chris Martin perform ever. I was honestly shocked. It was a nice touch that they did part of their mini acoustic in-crowd sets at the mini stage DIRECTLY in front of us (credit to my buddy Steve for nabbing that spot on the lawn the the Pavilion for us). All that running around while doing Fix You finally payed off in his conditioning Razz

I still think the trilly guitar with all the reverb and sustain is Eno to the Max, which is also The Edge to the Max, along with the strummy bright rhythm guitar, which you could also say has a Pete Townsend Feel to it, but I'm seriously hearing U2 87-92. I just can't get around it.

But why isn't anybody voting???

Last edited by wilsmith on Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

if you took out the vocals and told me this was a backing track for a new u2 song i would believe it. the guitar lines in the first 2/3rds are cleaner than what i might expect from the edge, but other than that.

i'm not finding memorable melodies or lyrics, just a wall of sound blob.

have they said this is officially a track from their next album?

happyface
Sea Post King

I really don't know why Youtube's suggestions for this song include Demi Lovatto.

I like it. I'm just probably never gonna hear it again. Maybe it will take me a few 100 replays to like it. When I first heard Speed of Sound I hated it. I didn't even get to the chorus because I hated that song so much. Then I got carried away and heard the chorus and now I love it. So maybe I'll just have to get carried away to the sound of Every Teardrop is A Waterfall.
Joined: 23 Aug 2009 | Posts: 251 | Location: The Gold City, Puerto Rico
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

The title. I just can't.

http://inconnumag.com
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

wilsmith wrote:

All recently-uploaded-but-popular YouTube videos are like that. 301 or 303 usually. YouTube takes a while to update once it gets to that point.

http://inconnumag.com
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Oh, that's odd, learned something new.

And yes, the Title of the Song is the worst kind of poetry in my book. Where is John Belushi to smash his acoustic when you need him?

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

marshkingsdaughter wrote:
The title. I just can't.

This.

Not much of a song, either.
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

^^^^
I have no idea about the song, but I truly hope that title is intended with the utmost facetiousness, or.... I just don't know what.