Laughing City

Will you be seeing the movie on opening weekend?
Midnight showing!
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
At some point this weekend
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
I will wait.
51%
 51%  [ 14 ]
I'm not going to see it.
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 27

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

The plot seems odd and sad for blockbuster type entertainment. These kids are supposed to fight to the death for the amusement of the rich and powerful right? I wonder what other uses they have for disposable teens, or is that part of the story too? At least in The Running Man the contestants were convicts.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
olimario
Laughing Citizen

Running Man is SO awesome
I keep thinking of this movie is Equilibrium or Running Man LITE
Christian
Sea Post King

Nowhere Man wrote:
The plot seems odd and sad for blockbuster type entertainment. These kids are supposed to fight to the death for the amusement of the rich and powerful right? I wonder what other uses they have for disposable teens, or is that part of the story too? At least in The Running Man the contestants were convicts.

Here is a brief summary of what the Hunger Games are: "Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a boy and girl from the ages of 12 to 18 to compete in the Hunger Games. Part twisted entertainment, part government intimidation tactic, the Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which “Tributes” must fight with one another until one survivor remains." It is only entertainment for the Capitol citizens, and it is clearly a heinous event to everyone else.

As for the comparison between The Hunger Games and Battle Royale...
Quote:
Robert Nishimura wrote that "it would be a waste of time to defend Battle Royale from plagiarism, since The Hunger Games has an entirely different set of cultural baggage, as well as being a disservice to countless other source material that deal with the exact same subject matter. Collins just happened to tap in to the creative collective consciousness, drawing on ideas that have played out many times before, in addition to her intentional reference to Greek mythology."
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ That sounds fair to me, if you believe in the collective unconscious Wink

It's not like there are actually new ideas anymore. We've pretty much tapped out our creativity and imagination as far as the constituents of human story telling. Now it's about how we arrange the parts, and execute the narrative. Who cares what it's about, it's about how it's handled and expressed that creates great entertainment in this day and age. I mean, I watched an incredible movie... about eating McDonalds for 30 days years ago, and from it a man developed a career in Hollywood, and is considered a modern icon for social consciousness and awareness. There is no need to reinvent the wheel. Just make a really good wheel.

That said, I am getting over my apprehension about identifying with/ connecting to the media oriented towards american juveniles to muster the gumption to take in this movie, potentially in the theaters... but maybe not. We'll see. I mean, I could talk to my students about it and use it as a conversation starter I guess?

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

Well, I bought the soundtrack tonight, so I guess I've now bought into the whole Hunger Games hysteria the marketing department has been trying to drum up. I might have to actually see the damn movie, and maybe even read the book, now... But, how could I pass up an album with new music from so many great artists? I mean Arcade Fire, Neko Case, The Decemberists, etc, etc, etc. Okay, yeah, I just bought it for Taylor Swift. I think she's brainwashed me, or something…

I'm glad i never bought any of those Twilight albums (I was tempted to, though, and even liked the songs by that vampire dude.)
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
norad
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
Well, I bought the soundtrack tonight...Okay, yeah, I just bought it for Taylor Swift. I think she's brainwashed me, or something

It's because it's a good song. Cool
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Christian wrote:
I read two reviews last night, which were thankfully not spoilery at all...

Confused

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Christian
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
Christian wrote:

Confused

What? Did you read some that were? The worst spoiler in the two I read was, "There are a few differences between the movie and the book." Of course there are. That's almost inevitable.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Christian wrote:
Saellys wrote:
Christian wrote:

Confused

What? Did you read some that were? The worst spoiler in the two I read was, "There are a few differences between the movie and the book." Of course there are. That's almost inevitable.

No, I just always find it funny when people are concerned about spoilers for a movie based on a book that has been out for years.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Christian
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
Christian wrote:
Saellys wrote:
Christian wrote:

Confused

No, I just always find it funny when people are concerned about spoilers for a movie based on a book that has been out for years.

I'm sorry I'm not sorry for treating it as a separate story that I did not want ruined..? Like I said before, changes in adaptations are inevitable. And there are many differences between the book and movie. The book also largely consists of internal thoughts and feelings as well as backstory interspersed throughout. There was no telling how a lot of that would be incorporated, in what form, or if at all. Obviously I knew how the story unfolded plot-wise, but I knew even some of that would be altered. I was interested in reading some opinions but wanted to stay away from specifics.

So funny.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

'Kay.

Smokemonster
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

Well, I just got back from watching it...

I haven't read the book, but I can't imagine how it couldn't be significantly better than this. I found the characters sympathetic and well enough acted, and the story compelling despite it's obvious cliches (after all, they've become cliches for a reason!), but the film itself was horribly made. And, yes, I did say horribly. The directing, editing, cinematography, costumes, sets, and so on, ranged from mediocre to atrocious. My favorite thing about science fiction is the ability to create whole other worlds and transport you to them, but the "mise-en-scène" was so small, so shaky, so scattered that I struggled to see the characters, let alone the world around them, and what I did see wasn't at all compelling. I want to say the film felt like it was "made for television", but, honestly, it was so "small" it almost felt more "made for smart phone." The same scattered feel applied to the story, too, where I felt like I was being asked to care about characters I wasn't even given time to get to know, and when the "weepy" music come through the sound system I could help but ask "what's their name again?" I honestly feel like this could have been a truly great film in the hands of better filmmakers, people who know how to tell a big story on the big screen in a big way, because while the substance is there, the style needed to bring it to life simply isn't.

But, it does make me want to read the books, and watch the sequels, so I guess it did it's job...
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
My favorite thing about science fiction is the ability to create whole other worlds and transport you to them,

i havent seen the movie. and i havent read the books save chapter 1. but my understanding was this takes place on earth.

and i always considered it to be dystopian more so than sci fi.

so, you're points on that I don't think stand.

as far as acting or whatever, I have no say on, as I haven't seen it.

just wanted to point that out.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

Um, no. "World" doesn't only mean "planet" ("other world" could mean any place, time, culture, etc, other than the one we're currently living in), and "science fiction" and "dystopian" are not mutually exclusive (in fact, nearly all "dystopian" fiction is "science fiction.")
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

given what you said, i don't get what's not to get.

again, having only read 1 chapter of the book, it clearly defined, for me, what the setting was. how it came to be, and what the struggle is.
none of it seems outside of the fiction of the story and was easy to follow.

maybe they missed that point in the movie, i dont know.

but i get it. your point isn't that they didn't do this. it's just that they didn't do it well.
fair enough.

it's really hard for me to not say something here about how much you sounded like an ass to me in your reply. like I am some sort of child. or someone you can talk down to for the hell of it.
I have been trying to do this whole, i won't resond sarcastically to people and I will try to respond civily to them instead bit. but it's difficult to do sometimes. this is one such occasion.
So, just note, I didn't appreciate the tone at which you replied. it's fine you did it. i just don't appreciate it

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube