Laughing City
kevinwiles
Sea Post King

who is sick of the hit singles thing..and is thinking that well...

eisley had to do something right to get signed. they had to do something right to get on a coldplay tour. most major label bands, radio or not, are dying for a coldplay tour. many have numerous hit singles, but dont get even mentioned for a coldplay tour. look at other bands like flaming lips, radiohead, polyphonic spree, fire theft, shins, travis, rufus wainwright who get barely to none radio play and are still widely known and greatly popular. i dont think the radio is as important to artists like eisley..the radio nowadays is more targeted towards r&b and hip hop and adult music. for instance..its all about #1 songs like usher or kelis or something. or targeted towards adults with artists like sheryl crow, norah jones..even coldplay is marketed more towards adults now. and most of the radio is older stuff anyways..like mid 90's, late 90's and the "funky 80s".

i think eisley did something right to get where they are now and what they really need to do is publish the music that people have been hearing live and tour. thats what it comes down to, i think. eisley making the music they already do and getting on the right tours. i dont think eisley needs a hit "booty boucning club hit" to be successful. they need a real cd out and just tour. i mean they havent even put out a REAL cd yet and they have this huge board with lots of fans..they can headline medium sized crowds..they get some mtv time, and theyre really easy to market (with the whole...4 siblings and the next door neighbor thing).

i think the worst thing a label could do is delay eisley..which delays tour as well, and try to change something about them.

theyve been so successful w/out even putting out a real cd, why dont they (label, whoever, ect) see what happens when they put out a real record. and also, nowadays, eisleys' targeted fan base, from what i know, isnt too interested in the radio anyways.

theres my 2 cents

granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

yeah, i think this whole hubabaloo about the "perfect radio single" just needs to stop. Poor Boyd is killing himself over it, and i'm sure the band is frantically writing songs, hoping to please some stupid radio execs (or not, but i know you guys are writing a boat load of songs). But look at it! you guys have released less than 40 minutes of music over two EPs to the world, and you're pretty damn famous! Even i, the hermit who knows nothing of things outside his four walls found you! (good thing too, i needed this band like nobodies business)
Indie is the new thing now adays man, what's it is changing (some say for the better, i say its just a new mask of crap) and so Eisley needs to just make music that feels good, whatever sounds good to you guys, and i think with the changing landscape, maybe you'll survive on that alone. Tour hardcore, hit all 50 states in varying medium sized venues. Show the world yer pretty faces and your lovely music and destroy pop music. When first i sat down and listened to all the Eisley music i collected up, i said to myself "This band might just change rock music forever" That's all i got to say

Euphoria
Laughing Citizen

Yeah, Eisley can be one of those "popular underground bands" (dunno if that made any sense) where they are comfortable with touring whenever they want, and releasing albums whenever they please, because their music material is great all the time. Eisley doesn't really need a hit single, in my opinnion anyway. So don't kill yourself over it. What Eisley really needs is more dedicated grassroots fans, and the band has the perfect fans to do it. I have seriously never seen such a dedicated fanbase. I've been to a lot of street teams, and band boards, and never really hung around. But Eisley, is the only one that I seemed to stick with.
Joined: 25 Jan 2004 | Posts: 1546 | Location: Look under your bed...
Theogenes
Sea Post King

I freaked out in answer to Kim's question about Eisley's appeal so I won't say much here, but all of you are right on the money. There are different ways to be successful and to measure that success, and in my opinion the radio is a very fickle measuring stick and an even worse friend. It will snap on you and then make-out with your girlfriend!

You all rock, nice to meet you,

Theogenes

boyd
Eisleyoid

YES! NOW THAT'S THE POWUH OF THE PEEPUL!! (raises rock sign)
Thanks Kevin. No, I'm serious. That makes me want to go wack weeds to
death... I'll kill those suckers and blow them to kingdom come with my
500 jiggawatt power blo 6000 from MANhog and the whole time,
my face will look like I'm playing air guitar.

-------------------------------
wait, thanks to all you cads...good comments.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
kevinwiles
Sea Post King

this is the way i think we can help..i know its been going around a lot lately.

a. OK, we know wb will release eisley cd. now they may not be as hopeful on it without "their" hit single or whatever, but we'll get the eisley cd. now i think we just need to show the label that we dont need no (EDUCATION! HEY TEACHER...) hit single. i think we can show it by trying to get sold out shows for them, i.e. just going to as many as possible, and requesting video on mtv and hopefuilly theyll let them do that music video showdown and that could be a time where we'd bust our butts and try to get them to win.

i think if the fans, whove been so suppourtive and loyal thus far just keep on doing what theyre doing..the board, coming to shows, buying the cds, things will fall in place.

theres been hardly any promo on eisley and theyve been on mtv, toured w/ coldplay, toured with brand new, played coachella, sold out shows... imagine how a LITTLE promo from the label plus the loyal fans suppourt will only increase the popularity of eisley.

popularity=demand
demand=kids go buy cd, come out to show
kids go buy cd/come to show=more money for label
more money for label=more press, more everything for eisley

all this just if everyone stays loyal..comes out to shows..tells a friends or 2..buys the cd, which im sure they will,lol.

i really think eisley should say "screw the single" thing. eisley hasnt had a "hit single" yet and theyre doing pretty frikkin alright. i mean if they tour with coldplay w/out any airplay...does that mean a hit single ressurrects the beatles and eisley tours with them? coldplay is (close to it, will be) the biggest band in the world, and eisley's toured with them. just good tour (eisley already has a great booking agent in LITTLE BIG MAN) a little promo from wb, and just loyalty from fans. ok everything i wanted ot say came out messy, but you get it.

ideal
Sea Post King

the way i look at the situation is like this:

the more natural way for eisley to have developed would have been to release an album or two on an independent label, in the process coming into their own and establishing credibility as unique and interesting songwriters/musicians. just because WE already recognise the coolness of eisley's music, does not even mean that most intelligent music listeners will yet, since after all eisley has not really arrived at that point yet where they are clearly and distinctly great. i mean this in the sense that they have not yet released their the bends, much less an okcomputer.

as a perfect case example look at interpol. their first album has established them as serious artists and possibly as the beginning of a band that will achieve greatness (that is yet to be seen, but they are off to a solid start). imagine what would happen though, if interpol were signed to a major label and were forced to write a "hit single". obstacle 1 was for me one of the catchiest most addicting songs of last year, but i barely saw the video on MTV2 once or twice ever. similar is the dillemma of eisley: we see them writing songs that captivate us not even just in the lofty sense but straight up in the sense that they are tunes that we become addicted to, and we can't imagine how these are not 'hit singles' material. i would have preferred if eisley had released a record on an independent label, just like many other artists that make progresive and unique music already have.

but there are two things that make eisley different: first is the matter of fact that eisley has already signed onto WB and are now in the hands of people whose interest is not the artist so much as to produce a record that will create massive immediate revenue... they are not really concerned about whether eisley blossom into great artists , just like whoever produced nsync couldn't have cared less about the predictable fact that their career only had a shelf - life of 3 years max. the business of major label executives is not to produce the music that will still be heard years from now but to produce the records that will catch on right now, and make everyone involved at this moment alot of cash. is this getting unbearably ugly to listen to? you all know it's the truth, regardless of how much who ever in management 'likes' eisley's music for real and sees their potential.

the second thing that makes eisley different is the reason that they've been signed to a major record label in the first place. eisley, despite being very unique and interesting on a musical level, are not so far away in style from mainstream pop that they cannot be trimmed to fit the mold, which is precisely what whoever is in charge is trying to do. so.. what conclusions can we draw from this as fans of the artistic geniuses to be eisley? it's cause for anxiety, because we don't really know how hard the management is going to push.

i personally don't think that eisley is adaptable to mainstream pop music - i think what you guys think - that they should be marketed as something innovative and that the sales will come as a result of the endearing and mesmerizing quality about their music. surely WB are not complete morons (i hope), and they see the side of eisley that we do. the issue of concern is how much they are willing to let that version of eisley just be versus how much they are going to obligate the band to change themselves because they don't have faith in the massive sales capacity of the real eisley. from what we've heard from boyd (who we are all grateful is so informative and thoughtful), my impression is that they are not letting eisley just be nearly as much as they should, and this is cause in my heart for great anxiety and discontent, since it seems implausible that they will stop anywhere short of a result that in some way we the fans of the real eisley will find annoying if not outright disappointing. my only hope is that they only demand of eisley a "hit single" or two that also happens to preserve the vision of who eisley are and doesn't disturb the harmony of the rest of the album which hopefully will be left alone.

eisley are very similar to coldplay, and i wouldn't mind an album with a song comparable to yellow, but that otherwise doesn't really have any radio hits but is excellent(imho). a coldplay album full of yellows (and more importantly absent of all the other good songs that aren't "radio-friendly" enough) would be terribly boring and wouldn't have garnered them the respect they now command. eisley's predicament is that they thrive best (imho) when they are least radio-friendly. i would be quite disappointed if all the songs on the record were conceptual and stylistic rehashings of marvelous things which, although a good song, already has that 'single' quality that would turn me off if all the songs on the album were like that. i'm sure stacy and sherri have enough indie sensibility to come nowhere close to embracing an album that would disappoint me this way, and that is precisely the cause of all these problems with the label. i just hope that the final result does not consist in a lowering of standards on part of the band.

boyd
Eisleyoid

reading every word. have to run out. will check late tonight. thanks.

Squirly
Vintage Newbie

i like a band that has an entire CD of songs i love to a point where its difficult to choose a favorite. eisley does it, radiohead does it, and nirvana does it, for me at least
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 | Posts: 5464 | Location: Galt, California
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mandy
Sea Post King

Squirly wrote:
i like a band that has an entire CD of songs i love to a point where its difficult to choose a favorite. eisley does it, radiohead does it, and nirvana does it, for me at least

I love you

BK
Laughing Citizen

Eisley did do something right, and a "hit single" wouldn't be against what they've writen so far, really, they're just having trouble finding the right song to write. Don't think of it as a label trying to get Eisley to conform to a pre-defined standard. They aren't discouraging Eisley from using their creativity, just to use it in a way that will spark more interest. At least one of my friends would like Eisley more if they had some faster tempo'd songs (not punk fast, but faster than they have been). Granted, he hasn't heard any of the new songs, but none of them stick out in my mind as being as "quick" as most of the songs that normally get played. I love Eisley, and will always support them no matter what. This is just one more area where they need our support.
Vintage Newbie

Being that I'm stuck in Saskatchewan, once the album is released, all I can do is purchase my copy and hope that others will do the same. I'll definately do my part to encourage my friends to do so. When I go driving with one of my friends, I always pick the music, and for the last couple of times, we've listened to Eisley. and I think he really enjoys it. At the very least I can buy a few copies to give as gifts.

As for a "single" I don't understand why WB just -lets- the band use the songs that they want. I wish the label would understand that the band had been doing extremely well prior to being signed. Small bands have fiercely loyal fans. Fiercely loyal fans tend to recruit others. I don't think the label has any right to try and breed eisley to be some sort of radio or video gods. If a single is chosen, I'm sure it will be great...No. I know it will be fantastic.

The reason people like Avril Lavigne and Britney Spears, and bands like Nickelback or even Coldplay become big is because of hype. If they did not have the publicity that has been created for them, would they be anywhere near as successful? Maybe coldplay, but surely not the others. My point is, Eisley is talented enough to not need the extra hype. if they get big and huge and international, Great, they deserve it. But if they don't get huge and international. I don't think it would classify as a failure. Because while they may not gain the potential thousands (if not millions) of additional fans who might leave them when the next thing comes along, Eisley will always have us.

I'm sorry if this came out a jumbled mess. I have a fever and I'm somewhat loopy at the moment.

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
mandy
Sea Post King

what a coincidence...I am loopy and without fever...haha...not so funny...*goes in corner to stroke homemade eisley dolls*
boyd
Eisleyoid

Quote:
from what we've heard from boyd (who we are all grateful is so informative and thoughtful), my impression is that they are not letting eisley just be nearly as much as they should, and this is cause in my heart for great anxiety and discontent, since it seems implausible that they will stop anywhere short of a result that in some way we the fans of the real eisley will find annoying if not outright disappointing. my only hope is that they only demand of eisley a "hit single" or two that also happens to preserve the vision of who eisley are and doesn't disturb the harmony of the rest of the album which hopefully will be left alone.

Actually, every song that's been recorded so far for this record
precedes any of the current discent or "tampering", to use your
term, from WB; therefore, 11 songs are 100% pure Eisley and Rob...and
were recorded with 100% the blessing from WB. Nothing has been
tampered with. Eisley's dilema is: why now that the songs have been
recorded are they expected to find singles replacements. (?)

So. All of the current discussion is based on WB's feeling that the band
needs a few 100% pure hit singles to balance out the record... all the
while admitting that their might be some already. They'd like to hedge.
It's not like an dillution has taken place.

Here are the songs that have been discussed as being possibilities
for singles: (btw. Nobody knows what a hit is really..."hit's aren't written,
songs are written....hit's are made". somebody famous said that I think)

I Wasn't Prepared,
Brightly Wound
One Day I slowly Floated Away
Marvelous Things
Lost At Sea

I'm not sure, but my guess is - they'd like replacements for several of
the OTHER songs on the record: "The Escaping Song" and I'm not sure
about others. I think're sorta ok with "Memories", "Sunfeet" and, I know
they absolutely LOVE "Just Like We Do", but realize it's not a single. A
beautiful little song...but very unconventional: 3 verses, a non-lyrical
chorus, a musical interlude (outro), the end.

Anyway, maybe it doesn't look so bleak, right? The difficult part, as I've
mentioned is all on the band...to keep trying to write songs under the "hit
singles" pressure chamber. Writing "broad" songs to replace cool ones is
not cool. So... I could be very specific, but I won't. We'll see how it works
out this week. There'll have to be more discussion. (hit the fan?)

icurate
Lost at Forum

mandy wrote:
Squirly wrote:

I love you

Yes and, I think what WB is desperate to do is find as many of us
as possible. Get as many Program Directors as possible to Play Eisley
and therefore get them played on the radio as much as possible
and therefore find as many loyal fans as possible. Very Happy

After that, they can all play recorders and we'll listen. Laughing