Laughing City

Have you ever Downloaded Music Illegally?
Yes. Shamefully I have.
84%
 84%  [ 61 ]
No, and proud of it.
15%
 15%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 72

sully_51
Golly, Poster

I download music all the time. I have no problem with it. I do have a problem with record companies putting spyware and crap on their cd's so that those who do buy them are the ones who get nailed (Sony anyone?).

breathless wrote:
I have in a way. A friend gave me a CD of some songs. I have put some friends' CDs on my iPod, but I was told that as long as you don't sell CDs you make it's not illegal...idk is that's true.

That would be false. Technically, you can't even legally make a mix cd from albums you own...

MoreOfTheSame
Vintage Newbie

sully_51 wrote:
I download music all the time. I have no problem with it. I do have a problem with record companies putting spyware and crap on their cd's so that those who do buy them are the ones who get nailed (Sony anyone?).

breathless wrote:
I have in a way. A friend gave me a CD of some songs. I have put some friends' CDs on my iPod, but I was told that as long as you don't sell CDs you make it's not illegal...idk is that's true.

That would be false. Technically, you can't even legally make a mix cd from albums you own...

And yet the RIAA is wondering why nobody wants to do business with them.
Joined: 02 Sep 2003 | Posts: 2455 | Location: Grapevine, TX
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

sully_51 wrote:

breathless wrote:

if an riaa lawyer even heard you humming a song i bet they'd expect you to pay them a royalty.

i download music occasionaly but most of the music i listen to is free anyway. i get cd's from local bands which go straight into itunes then the trash or i stream somafm(groovesalad). If i buy music it's almost always from itunes, physical cd's get scattered all over my desk and always end up scratched beyond belief anyway.

cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

chasd00 wrote:

If i buy music it's almost always from itunes, physical cd's get scattered all over my desk and always end up scratched beyond belief anyway.

Seriously, mine always end up on the floor of my car.
I'm messy though.
If I wasn't so messy, and actually took care of my stuff
It would be different.
mp3's are so great. So so great. Life is good.
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA
starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

yes and i aint ashamed because its like i still go out adn put money into the music industry....its not like i dont go out and buy albums anymore. if i wanted a full album, i buy it and dont dl it, but if its just one song well
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

RIAA keeps coming to Milwaukee with their lawsuits. I have not downloaded illegally, though I feel no pride in that. I think downloading all became big during a period when I wasn't even listening to music much, and I never joined in when I started listening to music more again.

Recent article on some Wisconsin RIAA lawsuits:

http://www.dailycardinal.com/article.php?storyid=1028370
gRegor
the gEek

Saellys wrote:
Fun fact: People who download music illegally buy more music than people who don't!

Uh.. source?

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

gRegor wrote:
Saellys wrote:
Fun fact: People who download music illegally buy more music than people who don't!

Uh.. source?

Boing Boing, baby. Smile

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kajqrd
Golly, Poster

I guess I have done so one or two times... After which I ended up buying the album... But I pride myself in generally having a legal music collection and in still getting as much of the good free music available online as possible...
BenC
Golly, Poster

UselessHippo wrote:
ryan fisher wrote:
i see absolutely nothing wrong with downloading music. i do it all the time, and it's a normal thing...i'm no more "proud" or "ashamed" or doing it than i am posting on this forum.

Yeah, but don't you feel you're ripping off the artists? I may sound hypocritical when I say this but usually I DL first, and then if I truly like the band/group/etc I'll buy the album.

Thats mostly why I download, to checkout a band and see if I like them and their album is worth buying.

Vintage Newbie

UselessHippo wrote:
ryan fisher wrote:
i see absolutely nothing wrong with downloading music. i do it all the time, and it's a normal thing...i'm no more "proud" or "ashamed" or doing it than i am posting on this forum.

Yeah, but don't you feel you're ripping off the artists? I may sound hypocritical when I say this but usually I DL first, and then if I truly like the band/group/etc I'll buy the album.
[/quote]

no, i don't feel like i'm ripping off the artist. ian mackaye once said "you can sell records and you can sell cds, but you can't sell music because music is free" and that's exactly how i feel. there's a world of difference between going into a store and shoplifting a cd and having a bunch of ones and zeros on your computer, despite what the riaa would lead you to believe.

it is also because of this that, more often than not, i buy albums that i listen to repeatedly- if i enjoy the music, i like to have the physical manifestation of it as well (liner notes, artwork, packaging, etc). my personal rule is that, if i listen to an album the whole way through 3 times, i'll buy a copy.
Bobo
Sea Post King

This is awkward, how do you know if you've downloaded music illegally?
Andie
Golly, Poster

Bobo wrote:

Ah, yes. The question i've always wanted to ask...Thank you...

"Those who are half-alive demand what is missing in them...but deny it when it's presented to them. They fear the proof of their own inefficiency."

:014:
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

Bobo wrote:

doesn't matter if the band said it was ok, or it's public domain, or it's your own music if you haven't paid the RIAA then it's illegal and you might as well be clubbing baby seals. :P

Andrew
Lost at Forum

Im a student of Engineering and entertaiment buisness. My career says I shouldint but the fact Im a student who cant work and is living off loans says go ahead.
Usually the student half of my brain wins in this battle. Ive purchased alot of albums but not in the past few years.
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 1479 | Location: Dallas, Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger