Laughing City

Do you believe Wal-Mart is a corporate monster?
HELL YEAH!!
44%
 44%  [ 13 ]
What's Wal-Mart?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not really.
41%
 41%  [ 12 ]
Ask me in a couple of minutes when i'm done laughing. . .
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 29

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

I shop at Walmart and will continue to. Low prices leave more in my pocket to buy the other important things my family needs. I don't feel any corporation has a responsibility to have a healthcare plan. It is nice that many do, and that does attract a better, highly talented workforce. But nobody forces Walmart employees to go to work at Walmart. You might argue that by putting competitors out of business they have in effect cut employment options for people. But that is free enterprise and nobody makes any of them work there. If all the Walmarts closed, other stores would surely pop up to take up the void. And some of them would have health insurance and some would not. But what would the net effect be to the people in that community? As far as Chinese labor and imports goes, where was your computer made? Where were the parts in your automobile made? Where was your television, DVD player, MP3 player, printer, video tapes, memory cards made? How can any of us come off with the attitude that we are not tainted by third world labor? So do you just buy American made or Western Europe made products. What will that do to the economies in the third world? You can say we are exploiting their cheap labor, but what are their other options if we become isolationists, putting up tarriffs? I dare say more of the poorest around the world would become even poorer. If $3 for a days labor is a bad days pay, they would take a job elsewhere where their skills would get them a higher rate. But where are those jobs? Who is that employer? Who is paying it? I understand that I am in the big minority here so proceed to debate.
I remember when I was 12-14 I made $35 a week delivering newspapers, about 10 hours of work. At 16-18 I made $3.35 - $4.50 an hour working in a clothing store at the mall. In college I made $2.13 an hour plus tips as a valet/bell-hop/limo driver. Everyone works their way up from the bottom of the economy. You start at the bottom and you strive for more than that through education. Many colleges in America offer grants, loans and scholarships where almost anyone can get a college degree if they are so inclined. If Walmart is not a desirable job, there are tons of opportunities to improve from that. That should be considered a starting point, not a career, to be making minimum wage with no benefits. And there are government programs to fill in the gaps for the poor, such as food stamps and goverment assistance in health insurance. And there are charities that also help the poor. But no able bodied person needs to stay at that point on in the economy. There are other options.

I saw some of this movie, what was online. I may watch it sometime. But I doubt it will stop me from shopping at Walmart.
tApiokA
Lost at Forum

It's the fact that Walmart can afford to offer better healthcare plans but doesn't. Alot of smaller companies don't offer healthcare plans because they can't afford to. Walmart can. That's what bothers me.
And you're absolutely right, no one is forced to work there. . or are they? though walmart does not have the best pay in the world it does pay better than fast food restaurants for example... alot of times people who work at wal mart begin working there because of what they've heard.. that walmart cares about it's workers and their families and how their benefits are so great etc etc. . Some people need the job to help their own family. and i'm not talking about a family they themselves have started.. i'm talking about some people need to work right out of high school in order to help their parents keep their house and belongings. That's why my bf started working at walmart.. and he started overnight at minimum wage. years later he's working the day shift and getting paid seven an hour. which is still not enough for him to go to college and even if it were when would he have the time to go? when would he sleep working nine hours and going to school 2-3 hours a day? He can't stop working or his parents will suffer greatly. He can't take out loans because he already has loans out because he couldn't afford the bills for a broken hand a couple of months back.. he's not able to take all these govt loans because he'd never finish paying them back. it's more expensive that way.

On a lighter note. . we have been looking for a way out of wm and a friend of his contacted him recently letting him know that there is an opening for transporters at the renaissance hospital .. pay is $8 an hour from three to eleven.. one hour less and one dollar more. keeping my fingers crossed.

Vintage Newbie

The fact that Walmart could afford to pay for health insurance does not obligate them to do so. They are not a charity but a business for profit, with shareholders. It is not greed, but free enterprise. Several decades ago Sam Walton took many risks which could have worked out or not. Entrepreneurship has it's risks and rewards. I do not begrude the entreupreneur his or her payday if their business model works out. If people don't like Walmart, they don't have to shop there. Some towns make that harder and harder, if Walmart is the only place to get food, goods, furnishings, etc... for many miles around. But that is not Walmart's fault that their business model of low prices and large product lines has put others out of business. The Waltons have a huge stake in the company, true. But they are not the only ones. Obviously hard circumstances will force someone to work a job for less pay, and many do stay at lower levels of pay because of circumstances along the way. Life has inequities and is not fair. But opportunity knocks, as is the case with your bf and his possible job away from Walmart. Hope his better job works out for him.
sully_51
Golly, Poster

tApiokA, you are trying real hard to find any and every reason to dump on Walmart here. Walmart is run exactly like any other corporation would be at that size.

As for the health care, well, it can't be all that horribly bad, since that's the only health care my entire family has ever had, since dad is self-employed and mom works at Walmart. Guess what...you'll have a deductable ANYWHERE you get insurance from. And did you also happen to know that Walmart has insurance plans available for as little as $20/month? Sounds pretty affordable to me.

As far as the security cameras outside go, when you say they don't have anyone monitoring them, well DUH. The cameras are not there to provide live surveillance. They are there to RECORD what happens, so there is physical evidence to use in COURT. And, beleive it or not, they don't cover every single inch of the lot. Oh, and you saying that more crimes occur in Walmart lots than any other chains' lots means absolutely NOTHING. They have more stores than any other chain. Therefore they have more lots than any other chain. They SHOULD have more crimes (statistically). That's like saying "New York has higher crimerates than Iowa." Well most of you would say DUH, look at the population difference. It's the SAME THING.

Oh yeah, and I work at Walmart (and have for the last nine months or so) and I make more money here than I would have anywhere else in the area.

Andrew
Lost at Forum

Bottom line.

Corperations are not people. They are entities that care only about one thing.

Money.
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 1479 | Location: Dallas, Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

Andrew wrote:
Bottom line.

Corperations are not people. They are entities that care only about one thing.

Money.

no doubt. beware any corporate entity that wants your "trust", if they have your trust then they have your pocket.

tApiokA
Lost at Forum

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
The fact that Walmart could afford to pay for health insurance does not obligate them to do so. They are not a charity but a business for profit, with shareholders. It is not greed, but free enterprise. Several decades ago Sam Walton took many risks which could have worked out or not. Entrepreneurship has it's risks and rewards. I do not begrude the entreupreneur his or her payday if their business model works out. If people don't like Walmart, they don't have to shop there. Some towns make that harder and harder, if Walmart is the only place to get food, goods, furnishings, etc... for many miles around. But that is not Walmart's fault that their business model of low prices and large product lines has put others out of business. The Waltons have a huge stake in the company, true. But they are not the only ones. Obviously hard circumstances will force someone to work a job for less pay, and many do stay at lower levels of pay because of circumstances along the way. Life has inequities and is not fair. But opportunity knocks, as is the case with your bf and his possible job away from Walmart. Hope his better job works out for him.

yeah i know.. life's not fair. i suppose i'm doing this to find fault in someone. . Shocked and thanks for the well wishes. Smile

and sully just curious not trying to pick at you or anything but what do you and your mom do at wal mart?

and i am aware that some of the plans are that low.. are you paying with that plan? cause i'm sure that with that plan the deductible is really high which is why we couldn't use something like that.

but if someone was there to watch the surveillance which most companies do have ... so much of the crime could be prevented or rather stopped early before something more serious occurs whether it be kidnapping or theft. and obviously at some wal marts they don't even do as much as record because they had no records of the day my bf's truck was broken into. and as mentioned earlier by saelly in one case where the woman was murdered .. wal mart only had that on video because of the expensive equipment set up outside to record any suspicious activity leading to a union.

and how much do you make? (you don't have to answer these questions.. i don't mean to sound rude or anything)

Lost at Forum

tApiokA wrote:
well.. let me try to sum up in short spiffs what i saw...

they don't care about their associates..
-the health insurance benefits they 'provide' are craptastic.. they're too expensive to have to pay on what wm pays their employees.
-wm actually encourages their associates to use govt healthcare programs in order to get by because they know they don't pay them enough.
-there have been countless lawsuits made against wm for discriminating against women.

they don't care about the customers...
-most wm's don't have people watching the monitors for outside surveillance.
-80% of crime at wal mart happens outside where people have been raped, murdered, carjacked and kidnapped more than any other places' parking lots ever.
-they don't care about the small companies that have been around for years and years in the little towns they over take.
-they are granted million dollar subsidies to build in a community after promising to give back to the town and never doing so causing schools to lose funding needed to keep paying jobs available for counselors and other workers..

and in china .. where basically all the goods are imported from .. they work from 7:30-10 just to make 3.00 for the day...
when people from the us go to do the checks to make sure they are in compliance with good working conditions etc.. they hold workshops beforehand where the managers in china tell the factory workers what to say... to lie about how long they work and put on a happy face. and they do it. for fear of losing their jobs.

http://www.walmartmovie.com/wmtv/2005/11/nothing_but_greed_for_them.ph p

there is so much to say... but it's said much better in the film of course.

Thank you for that.
It's sad how few people know just how bad walmart is. I'm thankful I live in nyc where there aren't any.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

sully_51 wrote:
As far as the security cameras outside go, when you say they don't have anyone monitoring them, well DUH. The cameras are not there to provide live surveillance. They are there to RECORD what happens, so there is physical evidence to use in COURT.

Well, excuse ME for HOPING that if I'm being ATTACKED in the PARKING LOT, someone would SEE IT and try to HELP me. Evidence in a COURT doesn't help if I'm already DEAD. Rolling Eyes

Just 'cause other corporations do it doesn't make it okay. Wal-Mart tries to pass itself off as family friendly, a good wholesome company that just wants you to rely on them for everything you need. They're actually a soulless monopoly, but hey, since there are loads more soulless monopolies in the world it doesn't matter!

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kevin87
Sea Post King

tApiokA wrote:
Kevin87 wrote:
honestly, sorry but i don't care.. they're cheap and they've got a variety of things you actually need.. the closest store besides a grocery store is about 30 minutes away.. so the only people that complain about walmarts are the people who can probably walk to a music store or something..

oh well there's no need at all to apologize. everyone is definitely entitled to their own opinion..that's why i gave those poll options lol. and i actually cannot walk to a music store. i'm about ten to fifteen minutes away from any city life...

i didn't mean they're the ONLY ones, but haven't you noticed the people who are against them usually have these resources other than having it from walmart?
tApiokA
Lost at Forum

Kevin87 wrote:
tApiokA wrote:
Kevin87 wrote:
honestly, sorry but i don't care.. they're cheap and they've got a variety of things you actually need.. the closest store besides a grocery store is about 30 minutes away.. so the only people that complain about walmarts are the people who can probably walk to a music store or something..

oh well there's no need at all to apologize. everyone is definitely entitled to their own opinion..that's why i gave those poll options lol. and i actually cannot walk to a music store. i'm about ten to fifteen minutes away from any city life...

i didn't mean they're the ONLY ones, but haven't you noticed the people who are against them usually have these resources other than having it from walmart?

you mean the people who would probably be singing a different song if the only available resource to them was walmart? though you have to admit.. it's kind of the same thing vice versa no? the people who are raking in the money only see the positive in keeping them? or am i making no sense.. i am a little sleepy. Laughing

Sea Post King

No, Kevin. I've noticed that the people who are really against it is anoyne who knows the truth behind Wal Mart and cares. Those who rely totally on Wal Mart for their low prices may feel just the same as anyone who does have access to other places; they just know that they need that Wal Mart support because no one else will give it to them.

Really, the government should be supporting those who have only a loaf of bread to last them a week, not the citizens of China. That's the purpose of a government to begin with. But of course people forget about those things from time to time.
Joined: 30 Nov 2005 | Posts: 451 | Location: Jolly Old Kansas
boone
Vintage Newbie

I'm not sure why people pinpoint Walmart for these problems. They're certainly not the only corporation who does this, it's a huge problem across the board, as previously mentioned. But then people say, "Who cares what other companies do! Just because they do it doesn't mean Walmart should!" But...you could say that about any of the other companies, why pick on just Walmart?

If you don't like Walmart, you don't have to shop there. They're not a monopoly, and they never will be (no matter what people say). There are plenty of stores with smaller business models and competing prices. The pacific northwest has Fred Meyer, which has a union with lovely benefits to its employees, but does comparable business with Walmart. Most Safeways are union, too. If it's something that bugs you, just be sure to do your homework and happy shopping.

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

I find myself shopping on the internet more and more. That is an option, even if the only store 30 miles around is Walmart. People vote with their pocketbooks on these issues. Again, I have nothing against Walmart and I shop there (as I already said). I just find internet shopping and ebay to be sometimes more convenient, sometimes better selections, sometimes better prices even with shipping figured in. But it depends on what you need to buy.
tApiokA
Lost at Forum

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
I just find internet shopping and ebay to be sometimes more convenient, sometimes better selections, sometimes better prices even with shipping figured in. But it depends on what you need to buy.

ebay.. yessssssssss...