Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Love the art work-
Was blown away by the firekite cover, not sure I still don't prefer its austerity. It was masterful, IMO. Savillesque even. Just oozed atmosphere (for which I'm always a sucker). Never regretted hauling myself down to the Door/Gypsy/whatever they're calling it today to pick up a physical copy.

But the elements added to this one work great... and good thematic continuity with the firekite cover. That figure, particularly, is hauntingly evocative and suggestive without being explicit about anything. Whether thats where the inspiration came from or not, this usage is very different than the Hope Chest one, where its more an adornment- a design element among several. In effect the similarities are superficial. Good catch though. This one conveys much more of the feel- and a certain tension. Really genius.

Glad they've gone towards a more abstract/anti-image design philosophy - Convey's their aesthetic nicely while still letting the music speak for itself.

Not a fan of the white block logo though. Never was. And it does detract from the art a bit in this case, especially in white. Much preferred the circled E (or rotated M) - and the script one on the Laughing City EP, but the logo on the bottom right of the Firekite EP was Really Really nice. Just subtle and elegant enough. I was hoping that was what they were going to for their new future and that Boyd would retire the offset block capital one as a relic of the Warner years. Guess not. Fits their music better- the block one looks kind of like its from a ska-revival (or maybe even cheeseball mid-90' britpop) band.

I generally agree with those who prefer more abstract titles rather than one simply using the name of track, at the margin, but whatever. The Valley still works better than Combinations. Firekite, for example, was one of the cooler titles for a record ever, I thought. Seems a bit wasted on an limited distro EP. Maybe they should have saved it for the LP and called the EP The Valley.

edit---
what do you guys hear as the difference between the new Ambulance mix and the Firekite version? I think I might actually like the Firekite mix a bit better, but I can't put my finger on why. Did they layer the vocals a bit more on Firekite? The bass is nicely forward on both, which I like... I thought first time through it was because the guitars were higher relative to the strings on Firekite, but now I'm not sure (frankly, both might benefit from a bit more guitar crunch, I think). The LP version sounds a bit more overpolished... is it just dynamic compression? All their EP's seem to end up outshining their LP's on production/postproduction for some reason (obviously not referring to GB demos/ gimmick tracks, etc).

p.s. re hope chest- if you haven't heard it, you owe it to yourself- don't judge it by later (post-Lombardo) 10KM or solo NM. Track 1 might not go over all that well among some around here though Laughing
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

I think I understand why The Valley is written over the girl's crotch. Nice innuendo, Eisley.
Vintage Newbie

vivalaspopie wrote:
I think I understand why The Valley is written over the girl's crotch. Nice innuendo, Eisley.

If Eisley "walks the night in" some girls crotch, then they're gonna have some 'splainin' to do! Yeah, I just referenced "I Love Lucy", what of it?

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

vivalaspopie wrote:

I totally did NOT notice that. You need some of this for your brain.

And since when did Valley become innuendo?

Oh, and oddly enough, the Red Burst is on the other side of the mountain in the Fire Kites EP, and if you notice, the Glow on the Fire Kites EP is also present on The Valley radiating from the Exploding Flower Girl. (I know, I know... it's a stretch if you are using logic and care about t he centering of the glow on the EP) And I didn't think about the new Eisley Button Logo from Fire Kites, but yeah, for it yo be on this cd, it would have obscured one of the corner details, or had to be Very Small, or be dead center, which would have made it more Ornamental. I'm one for rebranding AFTER they reinvigorate the base sufficiently. It's a familiar hook given the band hasn't been pictured on the cover of a release since the Invasion single, so you need that visual hook that people recognize beyond a palette. the EISLEY font is on 7/13 national releases. The circle E is on 9/13. I counted the variants of each used on EP2 for that count. If the Circle eisley replace the Circle E, then the only holdover is the EISLEY font, or put the picture of the Band on the cover, but people need to recognize their band is back. Plus, you need recognizable branding for Merch Very Happy

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
johnip
Vintage Newbie

I'm partial to the Name logo. I'll be damned if I've got to change my sig! Wink
Sea Post King

mikep0922 wrote:
Great article!! I wasn't aware of the situation surrounding Jon's leaving! The article is a nice retrospective! And even though I enjoy the shows at the Social here in Orlando, let's face it, it's a dive! Stacy says she longs to play nicer venues, and they really rate House of Blues status! Smile

(in the process of catching up in this thread)

I'd love to see them play at The Plaza over HOB.

boone
Vintage Newbie

Man, I can't wait to see that in 12 3/8" x 12 3/8".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

hallmark wrote:
mikep0922 wrote:
Great article!! I wasn't aware of the situation surrounding Jon's leaving! The article is a nice retrospective! And even though I enjoy the shows at the Social here in Orlando, let's face it, it's a dive! Stacy says she longs to play nicer venues, and they really rate House of Blues status! Smile

Are you quoting from a totally different thread? Where is this from/what article are you referring to?

gundamit
Golly, Poster

bigideas wrote:
hallmark wrote:
mikep0922 wrote:

Are you quoting from a totally different thread? Where is this from/what article are you referring to?

The article on page 3.

An eye opener for sure. Jon put the cost of Room Noises at 500K+. I hope he is wrong. No wonder they felt so much pressure to sh1t a hit.

Sherri has some frank moments too.

Truth be told, the article is kind of a downer. If your not in the mood, best skip it.

Vintage Newbie

hmm, i could never find that quote in the thread though. weird.

wow, $1 million bonus and $500k on the record? it sounds like that bonus didn't necessarily go to their pockets though.

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

SDuPreeBemis wrote:
Doing vocal tracks for deluxe album content...why do I keep wanting Pizza.

AHHHHHHHH! YES! =D

-edit-

i do hope this will be more than just 192 days

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
Caley
Lost at Forum

The Man In The Moon wrote:
SDuPreeBemis wrote:
Doing vocal tracks for deluxe album content...why do I keep wanting Pizza.

AHHHHHHHH! YES! =D

-edit-

i do hope this will be more than just 192 days

I think I remember her tweeting about acoustic tracks yesterday... Yep:

SDupreeBemis wrote:
Hey guys, regarding prints: sorry got busy. we're recording acoustic tracks for new album at my house. will follow up tonight. xoxo!

192 Days could still be in the running, who knows? I'm guessing some acoustic renditions of other tracks already on the album.

kLafied
Laughing Citizen

Found this video on youtube tonight of The Valley...don't know if anyone else has seen it yet or not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MKsgq6AzIo

There is also Invasion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jmiZB0Y2Uc

and ICBTFY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkUaXPO0MHo
..And just noticed that Chauntelle doesn't sing in the video...maybe she was sick?

cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

kLafied wrote:
Found this video on youtube tonight of The Valley...don't know if anyone else has seen it yet or not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MKsgq6AzIo

Stacy is vocal perfection. All these years, and I'm still not over it. So good.

Congratulations
Sea Post King

gundamit wrote:
The article on page 3.

An eye opener for sure. Jon put the cost of Room Noises at 500K+. I hope he is wrong. No wonder they felt so much pressure to sh1t a hit.

Sherri has some frank moments too.

Truth be told, the article is kind of a downer. If your not in the mood, best skip it.

WOW, I wish I hadn't read that. And I hope some of that information is wrong. But if it's not...

I hope I don't sound rude, but I've always wondered about the whole Evil Warner Bros. storyline. That they "just wanted hits," and put a lot of pressure on the band. Well that makes a lot more sense if they were looking for a return on a MILLION DOLLAR signing bonus, plus $500K+ recording costs.

That same "evil" label got them a tour with Coldplay, other tours, an appearance on Conan, and their songs on The Hills multiple times when it was THE show to watch. And then offered to make a "lame" video in the desert with UFO's, or something, that wasn't cool enough for the band. Whatever.

That said, I hope LP3 is a knockout, and I can't wait to buy it.
Joined: 31 Dec 2007 | Posts: 335 | Location: Northern Virginia

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>