Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

Caley wrote:
The Man In The Moon wrote:
SDuPreeBemis wrote:
Doing vocal tracks for deluxe album content...why do I keep wanting Pizza.

AHHHHHHHH! YES! =D

-edit-

i do hope this will be more than just 192 days

I think I remember her tweeting about acoustic tracks yesterday... Yep:

SDupreeBemis wrote:
Hey guys, regarding prints: sorry got busy. we're recording acoustic tracks for new album at my house. will follow up tonight. xoxo!

192 Days could still be in the running, who knows? I'm guessing some acoustic renditions of other tracks already on the album.

it'll be cool if they did some acoustic versions of b-sides and outtakes that didn't make the album too but i doubt that. still it means the album will have more songs available, and finally we get higher quality official acoustic tracks.

still hoping for some garageband demos to make bonus tracks though!

i bet if the band went back into the studio to record more new songs we would've been told, but then again they've kept the stacy solo project secret and when they went on tour last year with say anything they said they had recorded 11 songs and 11 songs only. now there's a 12th.

unless of course Please is a rename of 192 Days =P

-edit-

boyd did mention 12 songs in one of the last e-blats so it's not a re-name. nevermind!

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
gundamit
Golly, Poster

Congratulations wrote:
WOW, I wish I hadn't read that.
Can't say I didn't warn you it was a little grim.

The worst bit (for me?) was Stacy alluding to a "zombie/hermit" mode from the insecurity. Given her age its easy to see how she might have been the most vulnerable to the pressure. I read her relative remoteness at the time as just immersion in the Stacyverse, making her somewhat oblivious to things outside of her art. Yeah, in retrospect it looks like I was the one who was oblivious. Confused Embarassed

Vintage Newbie

cynlovescandy wrote:
kLafied wrote:
Found this video on youtube tonight of The Valley...don't know if anyone else has seen it yet or not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MKsgq6AzIo

Stacy is vocal perfection. All these years, and I'm still not over it. So good.

That's a cool video. Now I am suddenly hyped for the album!

Anyone know what the chord change is around "take me home ^ I walk the night..."?

Are those synth/strings in the intro pre-sequenced?

hallmark
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:
hallmark wrote:
mikep0922 wrote:
Great article!! I wasn't aware of the situation surrounding Jon's leaving! The article is a nice retrospective! And even though I enjoy the shows at the Social here in Orlando, let's face it, it's a dive! Stacy says she longs to play nicer venues, and they really rate House of Blues status! Smile

(in the process of catching up in this thread)

I'd love to see them play at The Plaza over HOB.

Are you quoting from a totally different thread? Where is this from/what article are you referring to?

You know, this is why I don't post here often. I was quoting someone's post from page 3. Third post from the bottom. The article has now been linked to.

I'm sure that wasn't meant as an attack on me or anything, but before you say you can't find the post, look.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Congratulations wrote:
gundamit wrote:
The article on page 3.

An eye opener for sure. Jon put the cost of Room Noises at 500K+. I hope he is wrong. No wonder they felt so much pressure to sh1t a hit.

Sherri has some frank moments too.

Truth be told, the article is kind of a downer. If your not in the mood, best skip it.

WOW, I wish I hadn't read that. And I hope some of that information is wrong. But if it's not...

I hope I don't sound rude, but I've always wondered about the whole Evil Warner Bros. storyline. That they "just wanted hits," and put a lot of pressure on the band. Well that makes a lot more sense if they were looking for a return on a MILLION DOLLAR signing bonus, plus $500K+ recording costs.

That same "evil" label got them a tour with Coldplay, other tours, an appearance on Conan, and their songs on The Hills multiple times when it was THE show to watch. And then offered to make a "lame" video in the desert with UFO's, or something, that wasn't cool enough for the band. Whatever.

That said, I hope LP3 is a knockout, and I can't wait to buy it.

Okay, just to hip you, if you didn't already know:

In the business, labels charge back recording costs to the band as part of the recoupable along with production and marketing costs, so the 1mil was halved by recording costs (one's jonathan suggests were imposed by the label's choice of producers). Labels charge for everything they do, and then write it off as losses if the band doesn't make it back in sales. If they do succeed, that all gets deducted.

next: Coldplay tour came from their management company, not from WB. They shared management.

next: video... again, Label does it, Label bills band for it.

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Consider this:

1mil after taxes 650K - 500k = 150k this is excluding the expenses of maintaining gear, touring, merchandising and promotion, which the band ultimately gets billed for. This is also without considering management gets a cut.

That's how the business works. 1mil (650k after taxes) is peanuts. And that's not considering you have a band of 5, so in theory that's only 30k a band member to cover then until the next album (2 years in this case, making it 15k a year, the US poverty level based on a year's salary FT at minimum wage, without deduction State taxes, FICA etc) if they don't reach profitability with album sales, merch, tour receipts etc.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
boone
Vintage Newbie

This article was a Big eye-opener when I read it a few years ago. I couldn't help but be reminded of it. Maybe it'll help explain the situation a bit.

http://www.mercenary.com/probwitmusby.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

hallmark wrote:
bigideas wrote:
hallmark wrote:
mikep0922 wrote:
Great article!! I wasn't aware of the situation surrounding Jon's leaving! The article is a nice retrospective! And even though I enjoy the shows at the Social here in Orlando, let's face it, it's a dive! Stacy says she longs to play nicer venues, and they really rate House of Blues status! Smile

(in the process of catching up in this thread)

I'd love to see them play at The Plaza over HOB.

Are you quoting from a totally different thread? Where is this from/what article are you referring to?

You know, this is why I don't post here often. I was quoting someone's post from page 3. Third post from the bottom. The article has now been linked to.

I'm sure that wasn't meant as an attack on me or anything, but before you say you can't find the post, look.

no way an attack. it was just interesting information i was trying to find the source of. i couldn't find the post anywhere.

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

kLafied wrote:
Found this video on youtube tonight of The Valley...don't know if anyone else has seen it yet or not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MKsgq6AzIo

There is also Invasion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jmiZB0Y2Uc

and ICBTFY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkUaXPO0MHo
..And just noticed that Chauntelle doesn't sing in the video...maybe she was sick?

Something odd about that Invasion performance. Sherri's playing really quietly at the beginning just before she sings, a distorted rythm guitar part but then later like around 1:10-1:17 the same part can be heard from the right side but she's tuning her guitar at the time and Chautelle is playing loud single notes so it's not her. Ooh something's not right.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

the valley didn't seem to totally sync up, but sometimes videos just do that. do you ever see sherri step on a looping pedal? if you watch the she and him performance on conan you can see m ward use one.
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

bigideas wrote:
the valley didn't seem to totally sync up, but sometimes videos just do that. do you ever see sherri step on a looping pedal? if you watch the she and him performance on conan you can see m ward use one.
Andrew Bird uses one in some of his performances and its amazing! I saw him perform a couple years ago, and though he was by himself, it sounded like a symphony was backing him up
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

kLafied wrote:
bigideas wrote:
Andrew Bird uses one in some of his performances and its amazing! I saw him perform a couple years ago, and though he was by himself, it sounded like a symphony was backing him up

I've read about Jon Brion doing performances at Largo where he will build up a song one instrument at a time in this fashion.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Liam Finn does this like nobodies business:
Second Chance This is not the song the use it on the most, but still I LOVE THIS SONG and they use it on here pretty darn well!

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

so boyd said something about vinyl =D

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Nowhere Man wrote:
Something odd about that Invasion performance. Sherri's playing really quietly at the beginning just before she sings, a distorted rythm guitar part but then later like around 1:10-1:17 the same part can be heard from the right side but she's tuning her guitar at the time and Chautelle is playing loud single notes so it's not her. Ooh something's not right.

bigideas wrote:

Yeah those looping pedals have been around a long time but I didn't/don't think Sherri used one. I thought those were reserved for musicians too anti-social or greedy to be in a full band.. jk. I can't remember the name of the first guy I saw using one on TV a long time ago, he was really good. These are the others that spring to mind: KT Tunstall, Priscilla Ahn, Mr. Gnome.
*edit* I remember the guy Joseph Arthur.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Don't know who penned the Twitter piece about the new album, but 'acoustic tracks', 'vinyl,' 'Delux Cd w/ bonus tracks' sounds good to me! Smile

Of course, it could just be one of Sherri's put ons! Ha! Laughing

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>