Laughing City

What religion/faith are you?
Christian (includes Catholic and Protestant)
57%
 57%  [ 62 ]
Mormon
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Muslim
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Agnostic
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
Atheist/Humanist/Existentialist
8%
 8%  [ 9 ]
Eastern (Buddhist, Taoist, New Age, Wiccan, etc.)
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
none/undecided/don't want to answer
12%
 12%  [ 14 ]
other
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 108

Kinnie
Sea Post King

I was raised in an atheist household. While I don't subscribe to the Christian faith, I do wish that I understood more about it, since it is such an influence on our culture.
guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

Kinnie wrote:
I was raised in an atheist household. While I don't subscribe to the Christian faith, I do wish that I understood more about it, since it is such an influence on our culture.

www.carm.org is one of the best resources on understanding different faiths and religious movements.

Radical Spike
Sea Post King

lostjeremy wrote:
Need to read the book the Case For Christ.
Science actually proves the Bible.

To be honest. That book doesn't prove it. The book is simply stating "If you beleive in this, these point to a creator." It's saying, if you "beleive" than the book is about reassuring your thoughts. It's hard to believe that we should not beleive what our CERTIFIED TEACHERS tell us, and beleive this book that tells us that the teachers are wrong, when the teachers, themselves are the ones who taught the people who wrote the book how to write it. It's just a complete contradiction in itself.

I love you all truely and sincerely. I bought your album "Room Noises" today and fell in deeper love with you. If you ever want anything from me, whether it be a friendly person to talk to, or a hand to hold, or a band to play in a concert for you. I will be glad to do so.

Your Sincere friend,
Loren
Kinnie
Sea Post King

guitarfreak217 wrote:

www.carm.org is one of the best resources on understanding different faiths and religious movements.

Thanks, I will be sure to check it out.
jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

Radical Spike wrote:
lostjeremy wrote:

To be honest. That book doesn't prove it. The book is simply stating "If you beleive in this, these point to a creator." It's saying, if you "beleive" than the book is about reassuring your thoughts. It's hard to believe that we should not beleive what our CERTIFIED TEACHERS tell us, and beleive this book that tells us that the teachers are wrong, when the teachers, themselves are the ones who taught the people who wrote the book how to write it. It's just a complete contradiction in itself.

well...where did the certified teachers get their info, and the people before them...everything is contradictory, and no one source is more credible than any other if you dont BELIEVE that they are...

GODBLESS

-NiQ

phoenixdown
Vintage Newbie

jack_stripes wrote:
Radical Spike wrote:
lostjeremy wrote:

well...where did the certified teachers get their info, and the people before them...everything is contradictory, and no one source is more credible than any other if you dont BELIEVE that they are...

GODBLESS

-NiQ

...which is why it's useless to try to change people's minds. The only ones who can do that are themselves.
conundrum66
Sea Post King

Kinnie wrote:
guitarfreak217 wrote:

I think thats a pretty crappy resource. It is basically just a webpage to try to "prove" other religions as false. They have lists called "difficult questions for _______(insert religion)" and it's just absurd because the exact same arguments could be made against Christianity just with the words changed.
Schizorage
Lost at Forum

I'm... well, I was raised in a Christian household that was pretty much non-practicing, but was forced to go to Sunday school when i was younger, then when i turned 17 i had to do some work for Honor Society, so i started going to a church and doing community service for them, and i got really into it, and dedicated my life to Christ, then i got let down... hard, over time, by people in church, and i gave up on it... if all that stuff i had been seeing was happening to these people who were so far off the mark, and all i wanted was some peace... there was no way... you know?

anywho, a course of events was set into place in the summer of 2003 that changed that, and i rededicated myself, but... i could never get over the idea that so many people are so narrow minded... and now that that course of events that seemed so divinely inspired has fallen by the wayside, my faith is completely gone...

so here's who i am.

I believe in the divine... call it God, whatever, give it a sex, height, weight, and facial hair, i don't care. I believe that there's something out there that created all this, but i don't believe it happened in 6 days... so i'm not a fundamentalist... I don't believe that any ONE religion has ALL the answers, and i don't believe the bible does either... i think the bible is a great book, and it has a LOT of great life lessons in it, and is a good judaism and early christianity history book, but I don't believe it's the divinely inspired word of God, nor do i believe it to be a completion of any such thing... i believe that Jesus was a great man, and that he led a wonderful life, and that he was crucified and died because he loved people and wanted to show them an easier way to live... and i think that such an example is the ultimate way of life, even if at the end of it all, there is nothing... I don't believe in Satan, I believe in evil, and the evil in the hearts of men, and i believe that something puts it there... something beyond us, but I don't buy cookie cutter definitions of divinity... Some days if you ask me i'll say i believe Jesus was the son of God, some days I'll tell you I don't know... but I DONT believe in pigeonholing the divine into a dogmatic box... God is bigger and smarter than ANY of us, and even if science can prove that the big bang is how this all happened, it can never disprove divine intervention...

So if i had to label myself, I'd call myself a Christian, since I AM a follower of Christ, albeit a bad one, and i believe in grace, and forgiveness for when we mess up... somehow, and because I go to church occasionally (Church of the Brethren, since i am a pacifist and i mostly agree with them) and because I pray... not in any fancy way, and sometimes just to clear my head, but i do... I love Jesus, and I'm thankful for my life, but... I don't know how it all works, and i don't have all the answers... and i'll never claim to... but... all in all, I want to be like Jesus... I wish it were possible... I've just... I've seen way too much bad from people i thought were good, and way too much good from people i was taught were bad, and when you have a revelation as such, it's impossible to just throw that away for blind faith... I've had close friends who were atheist or agnostic, wiccan, and the like, and i realize that those people are just that... people, and when i subscribe myself to the idea that i KNOW any more than they do, that I'm just as wrong as they might be... I kinda believe the way Bill Hicks did when he said that if we could put stuff like that aside that maybe heaven could be real... you know?

I don't know what i am... and it makes me cry sometimes.

I'm sorry if i offend, confuse, or upset anyone... I'm sorry.

call me a ragamuffin...

librariman
Sea Post King

robbie wrote:

To address something just said about science not providing all the answers -

Uhh...If I was the one who said that, it was in the context of associating science with the same criticisms that the bible recieves, like equating the impossibility of truly rebutting either, and also to highlight that I don't believe they are truly comparable sources of truth.

buffyfreak1234 wrote:
hmmm, i'm unitarian which is fancy for 'christian, but really nice and openminded.' not that other relgions, arent, thats not what i'm trying to say at all, but, its just thats what the church is about accepting all people, all faiths, anything. its cool. and the people are super nice Very Happy

Umm...it is this acceptance of everything that would keep any Christian church from accepting Unitarians as Christians...maybe it would be better defined as organized post-modernism.
All-faith inclusive philosophies have always disturbed me. I believe firmly that all people should be accepted and loved, but I don't understand how you can claim a world-view that is contradictory of another person's, that in fact says that their world-view will cause them to suffer, and then pretend that you're both OK with each other believing the other is damned in some way.
It freaks me out. So do really nice, happy people, but they are in Christian churches too. Wink

grandmastermagic wrote:

I my opinion Karma transcends a lot of religons
Do unto Others as you would have them do unto you, for Christians.
The Three Fold Rule for Wiccans.
It goes on

except that karma is based on a notion of reincarnation, and Christianity requires greater obedience than just being nice to people and restricts you to one shot...not many chances to transcend

conundrum66 wrote:
Kinnie wrote:
guitarfreak217 wrote:

I think thats a pretty crappy resource. It is basically just a webpage to try to "prove" other religions as false. They have lists called "difficult questions for _______(insert religion)" and it's just absurd because the exact same arguments could be made against Christianity just with the words changed.

It is still a good resource for understanding what the people who created it believe. I think if you're trying to understand Christianity you should ask believing, practicing Christians. If you're trying to understand another faith ask people of that faith. It's not surprising to me that any one faith would have an explanation of why another faith is incorrect.

------------------------
And Schizorage...thanks for sharing...it makes me sad that you were so burned but I really appreciated hearing your story. I was burned by a church that was sick with a fear of judgement. People were too scared to be real for fear of what other people would say. I've found a really loving, open place where I am now. I hope you can find some place like that and I hope God meets you where you're at.

Radical Spike
Sea Post King

phoenixdown wrote:
jack_stripes wrote:
Radical Spike wrote:
lostjeremy wrote:

GODBLESS

-NiQ

...which is why it's useless to try to change people's minds. The only ones who can do that are themselves.

Agreed. And great Siggy.

I love you all truely and sincerely. I bought your album "Room Noises" today and fell in deeper love with you. If you ever want anything from me, whether it be a friendly person to talk to, or a hand to hold, or a band to play in a concert for you. I will be glad to do so.

Your Sincere friend,
Loren
jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

phoenixdown wrote:
jack_stripes wrote:
Radical Spike wrote:
lostjeremy wrote:

GODBLESS

-NiQ

i wasnt trying to...

GODBLESS

-NiQ

<< prev | goto page